Forum aesthetic discussion

Announcements and updates.

Moderator: Rank Team

Should we keep the circle behind the logo?

Yes?
61%
No?
39%

Total votes : 33

Re: Forum aesthetic discussion

Postby Caleb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:45 pm

I thought the person that made that or people that actually like it would perhaps interpret is as if I said that is a children's picture or something.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter that much which logo we put up there in the end. In a realistic situation nobody will be looking at that for more than 2 seconds in a row because that's not what the forum's main focus is. Anything that looks remotely professional for the first couple seconds is good enough to do the job. Now that I've realised that I really can't care less which logo the staff decides to put up there, heh.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby socks » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 am

Well, i'm leaving my two cents here.
Keep the font, maybe just nostaglia but i love the font.
Ask Luna to go about a darker design (Not literally darker, but a darker feel to it), this time maybe a head-on version of this one to see if it changes.
And maybe make a small chrome-ish light blue, Hollow circle around the indented one. Keep the horns that color.
And see if what we got would be pleasing to a MAJORITY of the people. I state Majority because we all have different tastes of art, and some will inevitably bitch about if it's good, but only keep in mind the constructive, not the destructive.
Any ways, Much appreciated for hearing us ask for changes.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby Skype » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 am

Stripes wrote:Well, i'm leaving my two cents here.
Keep the font, maybe just nostaglia but i love the font.
Ask Luna to go about a darker design (Not literally darker, but a darker feel to it), this time maybe a head-on version of this one to see if it changes.
And maybe make a small chrome-ish light blue, Hollow circle around the indented one. Keep the horns that color.
And see if what we got would be pleasing to a MAJORITY of the people. I state Majority because we all have different tastes of art, and some will inevitably bitch about if it's good, but only keep in mind the constructive, not the destructive.
Any ways, Much appreciated for hearing us ask for changes.

Pleasing the majority is still not the same. Imagine the carnage (not to mention SHITTY designs) if other companies got the community to vote or have a direct influence on their logo.

Multiple professional logos, in keeping with proper design principles + allowing the community to pick one = acceptable (just how Elliot posted that sprite sheet of logo variations).

Allowing the community to make/suggest individual changes = not a good idea. For the exact reason we are seeing here.

I don't get why people aren't understanding me. What am I not explaining enough? Yes it may be a community driven site but at the end of the day, everyone who voted yes to keeping that circle how it currently is does not know what good design looks like. In your opinion it may look good, but realistically, it doesn't.
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby Kev » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:24 pm

the circle sucks though
imo if the thing was a flat logo it would look better
or if it was slightly bigger
or some other things i don't think the shadow is done too well
in any case i'm pretty sure the circle is a little shoddy
Image naga
KevOffline
VIP

Postby socks » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:57 pm

Skype wrote:
Pleasing the majority is still not the same. Imagine the carnage (not to mention SHITTY designs) if other companies got the community to vote or have a direct influence on their logo.

Multiple professional logos, in keeping with proper design principles + allowing the community to pick one = acceptable (just how Elliot posted that sprite sheet of logo variations).

Allowing the community to make/suggest individual changes = not a good idea. For the exact reason we are seeing here.

I don't get why people aren't understanding me. What am I not explaining enough? Yes it may be a community driven site but at the end of the day, everyone who voted yes to keeping that circle how it currently is does not know what good design looks like. In your opinion it may look good, but realistically, it doesn't.

Realistically, opinions arent a bad thing, especially with art, it gives the artist an extended palette so to speak. It's a fact that at the end of the day it IS the artists choice, and not ours. But throwing our ideas for the banner will help the artist, as i said, be constructive not destructive. I really hate arguing, and i understand your frustration with repeating yourself as well. But let people throw their ideas out, why not? As long as the artist, and the people making the choices aren't mad with it let them be. Personally, I wish i had a tablet so I could lend a hand with the site aesthetics. We do understand you though Skype, trust me.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby MCToast » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:03 pm

If you're worried Darkdemon sounds too childish, use something else for the logo, so it looks like we kept the name because of nostalgia or because we just don't care.

It would probably look a lot better without shading, now the eye and some other things look off, it looks like a baby dragon.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Silo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:09 pm

sometimes something becoming more simplistic can be for the better.
I am interested to see what comes from this, a lot of talented people here can make some great things

SiloOffline
I eat grass
I eat grass

Postby Lord » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Caleb wrote:Honestly though, do we want new members to feel like this is made up by a 12-year old even more by posting children's pictures on the banner? I think not. If you have a bit of a dark logo on it it feels a bit better imo.

Harsh wording I know, I'm not saying it looks bad, just saying I'd rather have the darker design. Sorry if I'm offending people.

I can remember up to 3 years back when I was a noob at Pivot, I got all my sticks off Droidz. I remember the site redirecting me to Darkdemon.org, now known as Animator.net. When I seen it, I looked all over and seen how organised everything was and how... mature, it was.
Me being shy back then, I decided to leave it be. Bad decision.
Then I quit Pivot for 2 years, came back last March, got to know everybody, grown to like the logo and happy ever after.

Moral of the story is, when I first visited Darkdemon (Animator.net, when I was 11) I was somewhat... uh, scared... or... frightened by the Demon logo. It doesn't look scary now of course, but I'm just saying what the mind of the average new user to Darkdemon is when they see the logo.
This one is more gentle though.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Elliott » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:27 pm

I can't see the logo being intimidating, when I was 11 I'm pretty sure I'd find the name cool, not scary - the comparatively light nature of the site from a visual standpoint contrasts this also.

The name at this point is a legacy, it's a decade long heritage and as long as the community continues to use the name I think this should be reflected in the logo.

Whilst we're on the topic of the name, could we alter the page titles to "The DarkDemon" or "The Dark Demon"? There's always been debate whether or on it's one word, but I think adding the "the" is a bit much.
ElliottOffline
Honorary

Postby Gage » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Elliott and FireCracker, can I have both your babies? Like now plz
GageOffline
VIP

Re: A new forum logo

Postby Jojishi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:35 pm

The community can have a say in the creative direction... but not the design principles. Imagine that an audience for a film not only says, "Please make the main character have a gun" but then goes on to say, "Oh, and the gun has to be pink and say 'Fuck you' on it" even though the film is a gritty and dark depiction of crime? This wouldn't work at all. Now also imagine that the audience has control over the film techniques applied and songs used. Suddenly, we've got a film that uses a Linkin Park song in the midst of a bank heist, pink guns blazing and 10 second, ELS (shots taken from a far distance) angles taken with the camera. The result is a laughably different film. Instead of being a gritty crime drama, it's now a pop-corn action flick with inappropriate humour and film angles which take the viewer out of the action. It's boring, muddled and generic. The entire thing blows.

This is essentially what you're doing when you give the community practically complete control. I say practically because even though, in the end, you have complete control it seems the community has way too much weight in terms of design principles used. The community can have a say, but only in terms of artistic direction. The fact is, the majority won't know anything about design principles. For example, it might look cool to take a photograph at a 45 degree angle and apply a sepia tone filter, but what is this conveying? Angled lines convey action, but what's so action packed about a selfie that you need to tilt the camera? Is the sepia tone there to state something, like maybe the photograph is a look into ageing or becoming a part of the past, or is it there just because you like brown colours?

I guess I've went overboard with the examples now... but I hope this makes a little more sense and can help you see where Skype's coming from.

Elliott wrote:Tell me about it - I was always amused by the fact the original logo resembled a bull, but the fact of the matter is demon's and cows are apparently the same :P

Here's one of the concept sheets for the 2012 version as I think some wanted the vector, I made almost 50 variations IIRC.. And then we decided to sell the site with the old design anyway!

The original logo from 2010(?) was made by Kim Vattic, I think I still have her e-mail if you want to get in contact (thumbsup

I like these a lot. Especially the demon head on the top at the far right. I like the font a lot more in it's simplistic form (no gradient).
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby SIFTER » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:02 pm

When will we get a DD store and merchandise?
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby Caleb » Mon May 12, 2014 4:18 am

I'm pretty sure we're not going to have merchandise as long as there's still discussion as far as the logo goes and I'm pretty sure this is still being discussed somewhere.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Mitch » Mon May 12, 2014 4:28 am

We're gonna sell vibrators with my name on the side.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby tenks » Mon May 12, 2014 4:42 am

I wish I still had that DD-merch mockup with the blue flame shirt and comic-sans DD on it.
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements