Forum aesthetic discussion

Announcements and updates.

Moderator: Rank Team

Should we keep the circle behind the logo?

Yes?
61%
No?
39%

Total votes : 33

Re: A new forum logo

Postby Skype » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Juke wrote:Skype, if you have this much time on your hands to consistently complain about the subject of the banner, I'm sure you could easily and quickly whip up an awesome and professional looking banner for us! (big grin

I'm a quick typer. I've said before, I've already given criticisms on how it can be improved.

brutel wrote:
Juke wrote:Skype, if you have this much time on your hands to consistently complain about the subject of the banner, I'm sure you could easily and quickly whip up an awesome and professional looking banner for us! (big grin

Skype's not a graphic designer. Also, you don't have to be better than someone to say that their work sucks.

Not trying to start something but your post was literally "I'd like to see you do better!"

He's right, I am not a graphic designer and that's part of the reason I wont take on the job of redoing it. I know enough about design principles through other avenues and what looks good to give an informed opinion.
Elliott wrote:
Juke wrote:Also, I think that logo looks awesome Chim, but it looks too much like a buffalo or something.

Tell me about it - I was always amused by the fact the original logo resembled a bull, but the fact of the matter is demon's and cows are apparently the same :P

Here's one of the concept sheets for the 2012 version as I think some wanted the vector, I made almost 50 variations IIRC.. And then we decided to sell the site with the old design anyway!

The original logo from 2010(?) was made by Kim Vattic, I think I still have her e-mail if you want to get in contact (thumbsup

Those are gorgeous.
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby Juke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:07 pm

kellawgs wrote:I'll try to remain neutral on this whole ordeal, but you all seem unnecessarily resistant to Skype's advice. Thus far everything he's said and offered was in good nature and is some valuable information. I feel like there's a reason most of the current staff did not hold the same position back on the 'real' Darkdemon.

I've appreciated everything Skype has told us. His advice and opinion is coming from a professional side and I know this, what I don't know is where your getting this from though. (confused
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby Raymond » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:49 pm

Skype wrote:Image

Look how silly this actually looks.

What's silly about it?
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby qbeef » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:08 pm

It's because you're asking the community to vote on everything, even something so silly like a circle in the logo.
qbeefOffline
⦿
⦿

Postby Raymond » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:16 pm

brutel wrote:It's because you're asking the community to vote on everything, even something so silly like a circle in the logo.

This is a community driven forum. It is not a business website. If you want a community like this to flourish then you need to take everyones
opinions into consideration. If you tell someone were not using a banner they liked because us admins chose not to pick that banner, there more likely to leave because they'll realize they don't have a say in these things. However, if we give the community the option to vote on what they want, even if they don't get they're way in the end, that person is more likely to stay because they can clearly see the community has a profound impact on the decisions of the site. Take a look at the old Animator.net. How many of us stayed even though the site looked like absolute shit?

Pretty much everyone that is here right now. We are a community that has been through a lot of shit together. And while I want this site to develop, I don't need someone's opinion who is just going to look down on me. Even if he does have experience, theres no reason for him to be such an ass about it. I can take constructive criticism, but when it's put the way he wrote it, it sounds more like a means to start an argument rather than criticism. Especially with the most recent post he made. If anything, I think it proves him wrong even more because everyone voted to keep the circle. It's clear that the community wants the circle, and I've already stated that I don't have a problem with it, other than it's size.

It's also not silly. We've had most of the community state that they like the new logo, but a few people don't. I have no problem with that. If we need to change it, then we change it. Although there's no use in repeating over and over again all of the current flaws with the banner. If you have time to point out all of those flaws, then fix it yourself and re-post it so we can upload it.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Mitch » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Raymond wrote:This is a community driven forum. It is not a business website. If you want a community like this to flourish then you need to take everyone's opinions into consideration.

Yeah hate to kinda create more sparks, but there is a difference between taking the communities opinions into consideration and giving them too much input, which will lead to design inconsistencies as well as most/every member having their own little control complex. Do it in healthy moderation.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Raymond » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Mitch wrote:
Raymond wrote:This is a community driven forum. It is not a business website. If you want a community like this to flourish then you need to take everyone's opinions into consideration.

Yeah hate to kinda create more sparks, but there is a difference between taking the communities opinions into consideration and giving them too much input, which will lead to design inconsistencies as well as most/every member having their own little control complex. Do it in healthy moderation.

You guys are looking at the banner as if it's a piece of fucking shit, which I completely disagree on. We just made this site 2 weeks ago. God damn, we will update it eventually. But your all acting like our current logo is unbearable to look at. And I find it quit disheartening that quite a few of you are being so disrespectful.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby qbeef » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Dude calm down. No-one's dissed the header, just the way you're taking things when it comes to design choices. Mitch's post literally mentioned the header 0 times.
qbeefOffline
⦿
⦿

Postby Raymond » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:28 pm

brutel wrote:Dude calm down. No-one's dissed the header, just the way you're taking things when it comes to design choices. Mitch's post literally mentioned the header 0 times.

I am calm. And the only thing people have really been talking about in this thread, is the logo. The title of the thread is "A new forum logo". Read back a few pages.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby qbeef » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Well then you told off the wrong person. Mitch was criticizing the way you take input, and you went off on a tangent about people not liking the header.
qbeefOffline
⦿
⦿

Postby Raymond » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:30 pm

When someone tells me I have no idea what I'm talking about, of course I'm going to go off on a tangent. Thanks for giving me some respect, for helping create this site in the first place. That's what I was referring to, how arrogant Skype is about his "constructive criticism".

And just to clarify, I have nothing against Mitch.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Mitch » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:32 pm

I like the banner and wouldn't really even have a problem if it stayed how it is now, which is why I didn't mention it. Was just lettin' it whip a little.

whip it, whip it good

God damnit Kody.

whip it real
phpBB [video]
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby qbeef » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 pm

I thought your post was specifically directed at Mitch seeing as you quoted him in your post, but I guess your post was directed at everyone(?)

And yeah Skype is an asshole, but that's pretty much how he is. Just don't take the name-calling to heart and just focus on the help he's trying to give. That's how you should approach all criticism no matter how harsh it is. People are gonna disagree with virtually every single choice you/the community decide on, which is why letting everyone shout their opinion creates too much noise and won't let the site stick to one design/identity.

You're never going to satisfy everyone which is why sometimes you gotta make decisions yourself and stick with it for the good of the forum.
qbeefOffline
⦿
⦿

Postby Mitch » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 pm

You gotta be the man your people need, not the one they want. God bless.
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Mat » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:44 pm

brutel wrote:People are gonna disagree with virtually every single choice you/the community decide on, which is why letting everyone shout their opinion creates too much noise and won't let the site stick to one design/identity.

You're never going to satisfy everyone which is why sometimes you gotta make decisions yourself and stick with it for the good of the forum.

Summed up perfectly
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements