Forum aesthetic discussion

Announcements and updates.

Moderator: Rank Team

Should we keep the circle behind the logo?

Yes?
61%
No?
39%

Total votes : 33

Re: A new forum logo

Postby Raymond » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:44 pm

I never once said that I was 100% going to follow the poll I added. Just because everyone said yes to leaving the circle on the banner, that doesn't mean it has to be that way. lol

Is it not ok for me to see what our community wants? None of this was permanent, all I was looking for was an idea of what people wanted.

Also if I have to deal with Skypes attitude in order to hear his advice, then I would rather not hear his advice. It's as simple as that, and that's why for a good while I was disregarding his comments. He doesn't appreciate me, so why should I appreciate him.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Firecracker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Okay so I understand were Skype is coming from, and i understand where Ray is coming from. Rays got his heart in the right place and i think we need to appreciate that. With Skype's Idea though, I agree to an extent. Basically leaving it up to the large majority means grouping the opinions of those who may be inept, art wise/graphic wise whatever, in with the opinions of those much more adept graphics wise. Which kinda nullifies those who have a more experienced eye since a majority of the site are not art adept.

But then why leave it up to the admins alone? Why not ask someone we know is good with graphics etc.? Rather than just the admins who might not be.

Edit: What about a sub group called "Graphic artists" or something? A small group of artistic users who can have a more valued input with things like this? Eh, I duno. Just don't see why you're all jumping on Ray.
"A stickfigure doing a walk is far better than some spiky-haired fuckwit blurring across the screen in a two or three-frame run."

~ Waffles Mgee
FirecrackerOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Elliott » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

The most recent update to flat navigation graphics is gorgeous - one small tweak I'd like to suggest is increasing the width of the posts spry menu to match the child elements; but I have OCD for that kinda thing!

I treat this thread as a general forum aesthetic thread..

Whilst I'm rambling, when I redesigned the forum I played around with the idea of using Facebook-esque icons to represent links instead of text; a home icon for board index, notification icon for new posts, messages icon for private messages etc. - just some food for thought, I love innovation.
Last edited by Elliott on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElliottOffline
Honorary

Postby tenks » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 pm

Yeah sorry I cba'd and the width of the child elements is depending on the content inside, so I can't really match it up.
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

Postby jota » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Yeh, probably best to chance the thread name and since it's being used to discuss the overall design of the forum, kinda

"nigeru faggimus"

jotaOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Царица Луна » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:03 pm

I'm surprised how one circle escalated into all of this argument.

Also it looks like the forum's menu got broken.
ImageImageImage
Царица ЛунаOffline
Луна
Луна

Postby Mitch » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:21 pm

fuckjota wrote:Yeh, probably best to chance the thread name and since it's being used to discuss the overall design of the forum, kinda

(thumbsup
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Re: Forum aesthetic discussion

Postby Firecracker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:01 pm

So i took the designs Elliott posted and went crazy!

(None of those are uploaded properly by the way)

Variety! (thumbsup
"A stickfigure doing a walk is far better than some spiky-haired fuckwit blurring across the screen in a two or three-frame run."

~ Waffles Mgee
FirecrackerOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Gary » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 pm

I love this one
and the bottom one man. Great work on these.

And can't we do what's been suggested and just have the emblem change every time you login?
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Mitch » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Why you guys always gotta resize the text and make it all blurry goddamnit.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Elliott » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Firecracker wrote:So i took the designs Elliott posted and went crazy!

Stunning! This one really pushes the concept in my eyes - when I made the 2012 logo (I call it ddSkull) it was derived from the "classic" logo that is currently Animator.net's logo (ddBull, fun fact!) and I always tried to incorporate the circle into it, which you've done!

I'd love to see this with flat text (heart

Also the bottom one is fantastic :)

To continue the spit-balling; you can let users choose their own theme - as everyone has different tastes this might be the way to go?
ElliottOffline
Honorary

Postby Lush » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:44 pm

Might just be me, but I really love the current logo. All the tweaking needed in my opinion is expanding the circle a bit, as I think Skype has mentioned in his advice if we aren't going to get rid of it all together. The logos Elliott and FC posted are quite nice though.

As for the whole community input situation, I get the feeling the poll is being looked at as the be all and end of all the matter when really it's just another aspect of data collection before we make our decision. That's how I've been seeing it, a combination of advice from the experienced and the general preference of the community.
The Team | Forum Rules | Pivot | Flash | PM
Add me on Skype: Rez.dd
LushOffline
Former Top Dawg
Honorary

Postby Mitch » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Elliott wrote:I'd love to see this with flat text

You definitely seem to be a fan of the flat text, it's been in all your mockups haha
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Firecracker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:58 pm

Elliott, I agree, flat text would look beautiful!

Anyways none of those logos are properly finished. I just posted them to see what you guys thought. So any that you might like, can still be tweaked as their in a developmental stage. I just really wanted to do something with Elliotts design because i think it looks sick as hell.

~ Waffles Mgee
FirecrackerOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby kellawgs » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:10 am

Firecracker I'm really glad you showed us those, because they turn me on greatly.
frogs settle into the night
kellawgsOffline
Retired
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements