The Run Tribute Collab 2!

Announcements and updates.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: The Run Tribute Collab 2!

Postby Jojishi » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:25 am

Tuna wrote:yeah tbh mori it doesnt look like you put all too much time into your entries, they looked pretty sloppy. especially the pivad style one, his animations aren't just fast whoosh effects all up in the bitch, it was basically just your style but every other frame taken out to make it stupidly fast.

Mini rant here, but whatever:

I hate that people think PivAd's style was just some lazy, double framed and heavy spaced style. The whole point PivAd was trying to get across in his animations was that rules were meant to be bent a little or even completely ignored. He was one of the only animators on this site to have enough balls to break the animation rules on here, meanwhile, everyone else was too afraid to make the slightest error in their flow, easing or poses.

The thing which made PivAd stand out was pushing what he could get away with. He didn't just lazily ignore rules or his animations would have been unwatchable. He balanced out what worked and what didn't, breaking rules which would have surely made someone else's animation look bad, where as he still came out with something which was visually pleasing or acceptable.

His last update video.

If you follow that link you'll see what I'm talking about. Lots of animations he doesn't move the limbs in every frame, yet he avoids the stiff look not by pivoting the limbs by their nodes, but by moving the entire figure (or it's upper/lower body). He will perhaps double frame something, but avoid a choppy look by using other tricks such as keeping some movement (even if it's only a pixel) or a screen-flash. He'll have something to counteract the negative quality and therefore make it look acceptable as a whole, which is the key feature of his style. He knows what to balance and in what proportions.

While I acknowledge that his style may have started off as something lazy, it could have (and I believe it had) branched off into something more. Something which I don't feel was appreciated much at the time and even today by many people. I know your comment didn't say anything about his style being lazy Tuna, but I think many people make the wrong assumption that it is or that it's easy to replicate. It's far from easy to replicate that style. I tried years ago and failed miserably.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby tuna » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:06 am

Jojishi wrote:
Tuna wrote:yeah tbh mori it doesnt look like you put all too much time into your entries, they looked pretty sloppy. especially the pivad style one, his animations aren't just fast whoosh effects all up in the bitch, it was basically just your style but every other frame taken out to make it stupidly fast.

Mini rant here, but whatever:

I hate that people think PivAd's style was just some lazy, double framed and heavy spaced style. The whole point PivAd was trying to get across in his animations was that rules were meant to be bent a little or even completely ignored. He was one of the only animators on this site to have enough balls to break the animation rules on here, meanwhile, everyone else was too afraid to make the slightest error in their flow, easing or poses.

The thing which made PivAd stand out was pushing what he could get away with. He didn't just lazily ignore rules or his animations would have been unwatchable. He balanced out what worked and what didn't, breaking rules which would have surely made someone else's animation look bad, where as he still came out with something which was visually pleasing or acceptable.

His last update video.

If you follow that link you'll see what I'm talking about. Lots of animations he doesn't move the limbs in every frame, yet he avoids the stiff look not by pivoting the limbs by their nodes, but by moving the entire figure (or it's upper/lower body). He will perhaps double frame something, but avoid a choppy look by using other tricks such as keeping some movement (even if it's only a pixel) or a screen-flash. He'll have something to counteract the negative quality and therefore make it look acceptable as a whole, which is the key feature of his style. He knows what to balance and in what proportions.

While I acknowledge that his style may have started off as something lazy, it could have (and I believe it had) branched off into something more. Something which I don't feel was appreciated much at the time and even today by many people. I know your comment didn't say anything about his style being lazy Tuna, but I think many people make the wrong assumption that it is or that it's easy to replicate. It's far from easy to replicate that style. I tried years ago and failed miserably.

i entirely agree with you man. like i said, it's not just all fast and whooshy, a lot of his stuff was about adding pauses to key poses and moments, esp if the stickman was in the air, he'd hang there for a while. it was about dynamic cameras and just silly ideas. i reckoned that mori got the wrong end of the stick.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Eli2814 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:15 pm

I loved the Star Wars 7 reference in this lol
Eli2814Offline
Active
Active

Postby Four » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Eli2814 wrote:I loved the Star Wars 7 reference in this lol

Thank you :D, glad that someone noticed.
ok
FourOffline
VIP

Postby Mitch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:16 am

Pivad sucked lol. Having a style is what sets an animator apart, I wouldn't consider breaking some of the most key principles a stylistic endeavor.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby MCToast » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:00 am

Yeah, because pivot is all about breaking new ground in the animation industry.

(thumbsup Daniël likes this.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Previous

Return to Announcements