I need some tips!!

Animations posted here won't be ranked or affect your skill level.

Moderator: Rank Team

I need some tips!!

Postby PivotforPivot » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:36 pm

PivotforPivotOffline

Re: I need some tips!!

Postby Mat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 am

For the opening punch it looked really weak, this can be fixed by using less frames for the arm movements. After that the movements don't flow into each other very well, make the spacing more constant so it doesn't look as stop and go. There is quite a bit of stiffness as well as some shakiness. The poses on the kicks weren't too great either. Try checking out some of the tutorials here.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=808
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1110
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=665
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=242

I'd highly recommend these four.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Stickly » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:15 am

Edit: Ninja'd by Mat

Hey man! Welcome to DD, first off. Nice animation! I can tell you have a lot of potential. :)

I edited it for fun to try and make it flow a bit better:

This was only for fun, I'm not telling you to animate this way, haha. Just an example. I used all of your frames in it. It's a bit shaky, and still doesn't flow too nicely

There were a couple issues:
No foot placement (Foot placement is done correctly when the foot stays in the same spot unless it leaves or gets pushed from the ground)
Some easing issues (easing is slowing movements down after a speedy movement, or moderate, even slow movements should be eased)
Not moving every joint in every frame (you sort of "double framed" the movements. An object that goes in motion stays in motion. You also need to bend the joints more, dont let them be too stiff. When animating, try doing that movement yourself, then animate it how you followed through. Comparing these ideas make the animation much more believable.)
Shakiness and popping (when the stick figure goes down from that knee, the leg just pops into a straight line, and that just isnt right, lol. Always make sure that it goes together. There was a bit of shakiness due to static limbs as well.)
Body movement issues (When the stick figure completed an attack, you never really showed the effect it had on him as a whole. For example, that punch was pretty big, so his head should have went forward as well as his lower and upper body. And with the knee, try doing a knee with your back bent like that. It just doesnt feel right.)

All in all, man, this is actually not too bad! My advice: Check out some of the tutorials we have here and try and go off of those.
Best of luck
My Animation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4795
SticklyOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Stickid » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:44 am

i have some good tips for you

StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Stickly » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:07 am

#vote4stickid as funniest member
My Animation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4795
SticklyOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Yogurt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:55 am

Stickid wrote:i have some good tips for you

"And she walked in a third time and she was just fingering his ass shes such a fucking genki girl."
-Mitch
YogurtOffline
reitred staff
reitred staff

Postby PivotforPivot » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:59 pm

I really appreciate the help. As you can see I need alot of work, and I thought to myself that posting it on here would be good way to get some constructive criticism. It really paid off, and hope my next animation is much better
PivotforPivotOffline

Postby Stickid » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 am

i'm always up for giving people pointers, glad my tips were useful
if you ever have a problem but can't quite put your finger on it, always follow my general rule of thumbs
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Koolcid » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Stickid wrote:i'm always up for giving people pointers, glad my tips were useful
if you ever have a problem but can't quite put your finger on it, always follow my general rule of thumbs

I literally can't even right now.
KoolcidOffline
Matorator
Matorator

Postby Cheese » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Koolcid wrote:
Stickid wrote:i'm always up for giving people pointers, glad my tips were useful

I literally can't even right now.

There's a few even numbers for ya.
CheeseOffline
i'm nicole now
VIP

Return to Pivot Freestyle