First Animation after a 4 Month Break

Animations posted here won't be ranked or affect your skill level.

Moderator: Rank Team

First Animation after a 4 Month Break

Postby VBxp » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:07 pm

phpBB [video]
New to DarkDemon
VBxpOffline
Active
Active

Re: First Animation after a 4 Month Break

Postby Jojishi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:24 am

Nice animation! Cool combos and I like the full-bodies (even if you're remaking them).

You have poses, spacing and easing down pat, so the next thing you can improve is flow. At times, you ease movements to a complete stop when instead you could keep some momentum. One example is when a character raised their knees to their chest and crouched (stopping completely) before taking off in flight.

No flow ("|" = frame, "-" = spacing):
|----------|--------|------|----|---|--|-|--|---|-----|-------|

See how it stops in the middle? The following example has some flow:
|----------|--------|------|----|---|---|----|------|----------|

Notice how while it still slows down, it doesn't stop completely. A run has 100% flow, a landing might have 50% flow and a character standing has 0% flow (since they stop completely). It's a balance of both easing and flow in lots of cases.

Mitch's tutorial covers this well in chapter 2.3.

It can be a hard concept to grasp at first, but when it clicks you'll see a huge improvement. Anyway, your animation was pretty entertaining. Nice one man. :)
JojishiOffline
Retired

Re: First Animation after a 4 Month Break

Postby VBxp » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Jojishi wrote:Nice animation! Cool combos and I like the full-bodies (even if you're remaking them).

You have poses, spacing and easing down pat, so the next thing you can improve is flow. At times, you ease movements to a complete stop when instead you could keep some momentum. One example is when a character raised their knees to their chest and crouched (stopping completely) before taking off in flight.

No flow ("|" = frame, "-" = spacing):
|----------|--------|------|----|---|--|-|--|---|-----|-------|

See how it stops in the middle? The following example has some flow:
|----------|--------|------|----|---|---|----|------|----------|

Notice how while it still slows down, it doesn't stop completely. A run has 100% flow, a landing might have 50% flow and a character standing has 0% flow (since they stop completely). It's a balance of both easing and flow in lots of cases.

Mitch's tutorial covers this well in chapter 2.3.

It can be a hard concept to grasp at first, but when it clicks you'll see a huge improvement. Anyway, your animation was pretty entertaining. Nice one man. :)

Thanks Joji. I appreciate that you took the time to give me advice :)
New to DarkDemon
VBxpOffline
Active
Active

Return to Pivot Freestyle