DD History

Site related issues and site feedback regarding DarkDemon.

DD History

Postby tuna » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:58 pm

DD HISTORY

DarkDemon (DD) has been around since 2004, it has a solid history of people and events and such. I've been a member since only July 2012 so im probably not best qualified to make a history thread, but if anyone wants to correct me/add anything, feel free.

Important people:

Adam
Spoiler:
Made a forum in 2004 with the username of DarkDemon, which is the name which was given to the forum in the end. probably the most important DD member. OG top dog. went afk in 2008 ish (i think), and sold the site about 2010 to a guy called mollila.

Bert
Spoiler:
Old guy, important to the making of DD. Made the bert stks and such like. Iconic to DD History

Jon
Spoiler:
Like bert. made the wu stks. Iconic to DD history

Peter Bone
Spoiler:
Creator of all official versions of pivot.

Chimaera (AKA Elliott)
Spoiler:
2006 oldfag. the main mod while mollila owned the site. important guy. fucked up the site by accident in March 2013, which caused mollila to sell us to DarkApple (DA). we love you tho <3

Molilla
Spoiler:
bought the site off adam for profit. adam made a sweet $5K. molilla didnt visit us at all. eventually he sold the site to DA because Chimaera fucked up some code while fiddling with the ACP, which meant that the only person who could fix the site was molilla (Chimaera had only limited power).

DarkApple (DA)
Spoiler:
moved us to Animator.net, left us with default and broken VBulletin layout. refused to give any of the admins any power, so nothing happened for about a year until Juke made this site in April 2014. When that happened, DA got really angry and banned anyone who linked this website on Animator.net. demoted all the admins. there was a theory that DA was infact some korean dude from Shuniu or WTFTeam trying to fuck up our forum but idk about that.

Bahumut (Darren)
Spoiler:
Used to be considered one of the best pivot animators, before he disappeared. Major player in bringing animation standards up, with his and animations and the BIGASS tutorial he wrote, linked here. this tutorial is now a minefield of broken img links and outdated animation tips but for many years, it was very relevant and is by far the biggest pivot tutorial there is.

Juke:
Spoiler:
The guy who too the initiative to decide to create a new site after becoming fed up with DA. Originally started this site by re-coloring and re-shaping the we_clearblue theme that we currently use in phpBB. He also re-colored the CometChat system so that it matched our site's colors.

Tenks:
Spoiler:
Created the VIP Panel where people can customize their rank and upload their own rank bars.

Minifrij:
Spoiler:
Created MyFiles and MyFiles+.

Mitch:
Spoiler:
Created the Forum Icons and Buttons that you see when viewing the forum or replying to threads/private messages. He also made the new big tutorial which he needs to finish but its still good, linked here

Nice Pants:
Spoiler:
Helped clean up the coding of the site so everything looked in place and aligned. He also created the smilies and default rank bars for the forum.

Donators:
Spoiler:
Maintaining a website costs a lot of money, money we wouldn't have without the help of those who donated. Special shoutout to The Spectre and Mat.

Bladez:
Spoiler:
Found an awesome deal on a hosting plan for us. Setup the server on which our site is being hosted multiple times. Also integrated CometChat into the site and worked on removing all the bugs it had. He also made the Youtube module for CometChat. And generally has just been the guy who does all the behind the scenes work that people are unaware of.

Collabs/Animations of note

The DDC series.
Spoiler:

The Blood Collab series:
Spoiler:
All about animating blood. Lots of blood. :o

Blood Collab 1:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHXwz9xk2CY
Blood Collab 2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn0m19P_veg
Blood Collab 3:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OoMjblkzG0

Other large scale collabs
Spoiler:
The Darkbert collab: a collab about trying to stop Bert's signature character, Darkbert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj56AMa_m7E

The Vets Joint: animated by the veterans of DarkDemon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SbnmXdBw9A

The Toast Collab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aVPYxuUqC8

The Inters Joint: Animated by the intermediates of darkdemon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WslHTI02YGE

The Shadow Lith Collab: A collab about trying to defeat Lithium's character, ShadowLith. The final part is animated by Lithium himself, defeating all the participants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-0J-Hy6c2c

2013 Staff vs Regulars: The entire forum was split into teams. On the staff's side, there was the Admin team, the Mod team and the Rank team. on the Regulars side, there were teams who fought the Admins, Mods, or Rank Teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pXSnPO2FaU

Important/Revered Solo animations
Spoiler:
These animations were so good, that everyone remembers them and they became classics of DD animation.

Tyrants Wrath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4IQfElsARc&feature=youtu.be Animated by Jon

Dance With The Devil: pt1 pt2pt3 Animated by Sharpshooter

Olix Flix DDC11: PIV GIF

Senzo's DDC12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUFmRJSN6w0 PIV

Websites
TO BE ADDED

Im sure there's lots that i missed, so please feel free to add and suggest improvements and all that jazz.
Last edited by tuna on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Re: DD History

Postby Gary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:59 pm

why am i not on the list of important people
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby tuna » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:01 pm

do something notable you lazy ass

next question
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Gary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:02 pm

i created my own fucking rank you pleb is that not important
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby tuna » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:09 pm

youre on the list
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby MCToast » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:22 pm

This is so extensive and good tuna, well done...
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Josh » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:15 pm

peterbone maybe, since he created Pivot and this forum wouldn't exist without it.
Slashed could be added as I believe he was the longest serving staff member on old DD (2004/5 - 2013-4).
Raymond and Lush should probably be mentioned as the people that took over as admin.
Juke for making thedarkdemon.
DarkDemon Member since 6th July 2010
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby SIFTER » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Dirty Child wrote:do something notable you lazy ass

next question

He's the reason behind the gary rank :^)
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby TheRavenHouse » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:24 pm

I love this idea. I hope it keeps getting additions.
Artangle and the days before DD was a site should get a mention I think. As mini said Peter bone should be on there. Aside from the creators of the sites it would be cool to see a list of notable animators. Bert is on there already, so maybe you should include the other really influential guys. Bahamut was a major player in bringing pivot animation to the level it is now, his tutorial and his animations.
I'm not sure how extensive you wanna get, but it'd be cool to see the old mascot, demonbot, and a mention of our old tagline "Where the freaks are let out".
A list of important animations would be cool, Tyrant's Wrath, Dance With The Devil, etc. The stuff that really shaped pivot.

That's all I can think of to add for now.
TheRavenHouseOffline
A Lot Of Acid
A Lot Of Acid

Postby SIFTER » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:28 pm

The animators belong to the hall of fame/honor. What has to be mentioned is the developpment of the community as a whole. Speaking of which, does anyone know the reasoning behind the idea of the very first DDC? And how did DD start? I know how PA did, but not DD. And which is older? PA or DD? And how did the community come together? Every single detail matters. I'm pretty sure Bert or liquid sword could inform us about a few things.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby Jon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:48 am

You need to add the big animators (Olix Flix, OblivionFall, Atok, Vermillion, Nice Pants, literally so many). Sharpshooter deserves a mention, he did so much fucking shit for the old DD that no one really gave him credit for. Same with Schmitty, Frazer (Slashed), Damon, Faded, Skype. There's a massive list.

And Sifter, DD started as a MSN web chat, WAY before PA did, back in like 2003-2004. Adam was the one with the most web development experience and they collectively decided to make the website. Obviously because Adam created it (and as far as I'm aware, he put up the funds to create it.)

I'd include all the DDC's, that is really how DD got noticed, and when they were getting heaps of entries per DDC.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Josh » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:57 am

Jon wrote:And Sifter, DD started as a MSN web chat, WAY before PA did, back in like 2003-2004. Adam was the one with the most web development experience and they collectively decided to make the website. Obviously because Adam created it (and as far as I'm aware, he put up the funds to create it.)

I thought that the original MSN group was called PivotAnimation, and both the PA website and DD was formed once the group died or something? Forgive me if I'm wrong.
DarkDemon Member since 6th July 2010
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby tuna » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:00 am

these are all good suggestions, thanks so much <3 i will add them on before the end of the day, and possibly improve the layout too :)
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Axon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:27 am

Adam " probably the most important DD member."

well it' s pretty important he made the site but as a person fuk adam lol
AxonOffline
aye lmoa
aye lmoa

Postby Juke » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:22 am

If I'm even considered to be up here that's pretty cool. However Raymond played a huge part in creating this site also, I don't think some of you realize that. Also our friend Bladez (who is currently our techy guy behind the scenes) helped us out immensely.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Next

Return to Help & Site Feedback