Beastie's Thread= Im back....prolly

Start your journey with Pivot here.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: Beastie's Thread= New Animation+updates

Postby Madnessthunder » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:52 pm

SharpBeast wrote:Finally some CC :D(thanks btw)
Although I don't want them look like they cant stand still, I try to make it look like focused movement instead of swirly-wirly(like underwater) movement type. But I will practice on flow of the moves more, but I am having a bit of a hard time with it so it might take some while..

Yeah no problem, it'll come to you eventually. And I get your point, but there's two sides of the spectrum of flowy and rigid, and your on the latter extreme, so try to get more flowy but only to your liking.

Hey check out my shitty animations
Thread.
MadnessthunderOffline
Professional
Professional

Re: Beastie's Thread= New Animation+updates

Postby SharpBeast » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Yeah trying to do that, but it's harder than it might seem. /:-''
My Thread
I removed your signature because it was too big. You can use the same one, just shrink it or put it in a spoiler.
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Re: Beastie's Thread= double double

Postby SharpBeast » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:52 pm

*bump* new shortie, to get off some rust. (smile
My Thread
I removed your signature because it was too big. You can use the same one, just shrink it or put it in a spoiler.
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Cressel » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:06 pm

It looks ok. It's pretty stiff and can definitely use some easing, not much to say about it. The colors are all a bit too dark as well.
CresselOffline
애교!!!
Fanatic

Postby SharpBeast » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:23 am

Kratzle wrote:It looks ok. It's pretty stiff and can definitely use some easing, not much to say about it. The colors are all a bit too dark as well.

If by stiff you mean the stick that does the double double, then I can't do anything about that, since it is just how that move is being done, it may look a simple move but it actually isn't. You can get dislocate or even break your bones if you don't perform it correctly.
The other stick though... yeah might as well be stiff a bit, but I wasn't focusing on it. I will make it a bit brighter colored next time.(I struggled a bit too, cause I didn't want to have white screen because my eyes hurt if I animate with white screen, that is why I change Back stage color. Though I admit it was a bit too dark.)
About easing...... tbh I just got lazy, and didn't ease enough. tehe (heart
My Thread
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Vito » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:44 am

That was pretty nice idea to animate, but it's not executed well. The movement kind of robotic imo, it's illogical movements, how he could jump that far and stalled in the middle of movement? If you want a better quality of your animation. Just patience and practice. Anyway I really appreciate what you make, you have a quite good idea. Keep up that good work and keep developing that.
. (scared .
VitoOffline
VIP

Postby Euclid » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:55 am

Okay, Your new anim isn't necessarily bad tbh. You handled easing pretty well (Or maybe it's just me) and you conveyed the idea effectively.. What's bad though is that the punch lacks power and it shows through the reaction of the other stickman. The legs almost didn't move at all when doing that first punch, maybe you're trying to convey that he was skipping? But it looks like he teleported a short distance. And don't even get me started about the legs of the 2nd punch because he doesn't looks like he "jumps" into the 2nd punch due to the lack of buildup/anticipation for the jump. He looks like he just moves across the screen without any momentum supporting that movement whatsoever. You should move the legs more to convey how he got to that position. Speaking of momentum, he stops abruptly after he does that first punch. You should make him ease into a stop or flow him into a buildup which in turn, builds power for that last punch.

The real problem was the reaction of the punch which I've mentioned earlier. It looked like he was blown away by a gust of wind when he was in fact punched twice. Make it look like it through muscle control and large spacing. Good job though.
Click the Pic for TDD thread. (Credits to Sifter for making my profile, RB, and Sig.)

"Animate to entertain others, lad. That's the point of animation. Some are too blind to see it though
Being big-headed and sucking balls don't go well in pair."
-Flame
EuclidOffline
#NextComboKing2019
#NextComboKing2019

Postby SharpBeast » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:04 am

NV Anims wrote:That was pretty nice idea to animate, but it's not executed well. The movement kind of robotic imo, it's illogical movements, how he could jump that far and stalled in the middle of movement? If you want a better quality of your animation. Just patience and practice. Anyway I really appreciate what you make, you have a quite good idea. Keep up that good work and keep developing that.

Robotic O.O.....ummm... how?(seriously I don't see anything robotic.) illogical, well I just tried my best to animate realistic movement(to extent). One fist punches above head, with elbow deflect and second punch goes from below chin.
That jump was me still learning to make anime'ish feel to movements(that unreal factor, but not to BS level).
Lol patience and practice :) Im animating for like 6 years or so, but I'm not progressing fast simply because I don't try to get pro with it, I just do it for fun.
And again the idea thing........It's nothing original....really...but thanks. :)

Tol wrote:Okay, Your new anim isn't necessarily bad tbh. You handled easing pretty well (Or maybe it's just me) and you conveyed the idea effectively.. What's bad though is that the punch lacks power and it shows through the reaction of the other stickman. The legs almost didn't move at all when doing that first punch, maybe you're trying to convey that he was skipping? But it looks like he teleported a short distance. And don't even get me started about the legs of the 2nd punch because he doesn't looks like he "jumps" into the 2nd punch due to the lack of buildup/anticipation for the jump. He looks like he just moves across the screen without any momentum supporting that movement whatsoever. You should move the legs more to convey how he got to that position. Speaking of momentum, he stops abruptly after he does that first punch. You should make him ease into a stop or flow him into a buildup which in turn, builds power for that last punch.

The real problem was the reaction of the punch which I've mentioned earlier. It looked like he was blown away by a gust of wind when he was in fact punched twice. Make it look like it through muscle control and large spacing. Good job though.

Yeah I also thought that I didn't have big problems with easing.(I admit that it could have been better, but I'm not competing with anyone, this was more like test/rustbreaker anim)
Which sticks legs? Giver's or Taker's? If takers then I'm sorry but that is something I am still trying to figure out how to do that.
Yeah second punch/smack was me trying to make anime'ish blow. He sorta jumps and pushes him into wall with his fists, and then the mass does the rest. There was momentum tho........ I guess I eased too much there..... T_T
What do you mean abruptly? I mean I didn't see anything abrupt there....
Haha! Gust of wind XD lol Hissatsu: Fuutozen Lmao :D

Everyone thanks for CC, I appreciate it! Thanks y'all!
Peace
My Thread
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Re: Beastie's Thread= DD.V2

Postby SharpBeast » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:35 am

*updated*
Look at what I did to double double...... tehe :3
My Thread
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Euclid » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:57 pm

SharpBeast wrote:*updated*
Look at what I did to double double...... tehe :3

I liked the first one better tbh. The jump was bad to say the least. I'll edit this later for a more detailed cc once i get home

E: I'm gonna go ahead and ignore the choppiness since it's practically present throughout all your anims. To fix that, you need to even out your spacing. Like i said in my earlier CC, it lacks buildup, and your tweak made it more apparent. I also noticed he sort of "teleports" like a short distance before jumping and it looks awful.

This pose is just awful because It doesn't show any power, and it looks uncomfortable. The head is tilted forward while the torso is straight. I suggest you read wraybies' tutorial about lines of action HERE.
There was no buildup leading to that pose, he just snaps himself to that moment. It doesn't even look like he's teleporting anymore. It looks more like he had some sort of upward force coming out from his ass like he's farting or something.

And you didn't even tweaked the stickman taking the hit, he still looks like he got blown away by wind or something which practically diminishes the overall power of the punches even if you add tremors.

There's also that shakiness that's present in the last part that isn't present in the first anim.

The colors didn't really help with the stickmen being visible and i suggest you fix that (IDK colors lmao)

Overall you need to work on the basics (Easing, Flow, Spacing, Poses, Timing and all that jazz) and i suggest you do it through short tests like walking, running, etc. You'll get it soon enough.
Last edited by Euclid on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click the Pic for TDD thread. (Credits to Sifter for making my profile, RB, and Sig.)

"Animate to entertain others, lad. That's the point of animation. Some are too blind to see it though
Being big-headed and sucking balls don't go well in pair."
-Flame
EuclidOffline
#NextComboKing2019
#NextComboKing2019

Postby Jack » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:23 pm

The double-framing killed it. I agree with Tol.
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Postby SharpBeast » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:34 am

There was no double framing though......(I never use double frame, simply because I don't know how to not fuck up when using it, so I don't use it at all)
Yeah.... about that head..... I couldn't get it right where it wouldn't look weird so I kinda went with this one...
And again... there was a buildup...(is it too small or something? I mean that you guys don't even notice it lol)...I mean look at the legs lmao(I can't make it too many frames because then dark-purple will be down on the ground sleeping already, and all that work would be to waste)
'bout colors, I did mess up with this choice. Next anim won't be this bad lol. Not gonna fix this one though.(would need to fix it frame by frame)
Shakiness.... well that is probably rust, I'm still off my pace, can't get back into groove.(possibly that 70% of mistakes are because of that)
My Thread
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Michi » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:26 pm

SharpBeast wrote:
Spoiler:

First of all, the figures are like barely visible. You could either outline them or use brighter colours, be it for background or the stickmen themselves.
Secondly, the "jumps" or whatever these sudden skips in spacing are need a lot more anticipation before the movement. What is anticipation you may ask. That's basically something that precedes the actual action, sort of a "wind up". Another thing that is pretty important is the reaction, that comes after the action. Showing power pretty much it works like that: Long anticipation, fast action, exaggerated reaction (and pose).
Another thing i want to point out is how bloody shaky the black stickman is after the wall smack motion, you should fix that.

Generally speaking you need to focus on basics. Work on your poses, put more anticipation into actions, learn to avoid stiffness, all that jazz.
Good luck and have a nice day.
Spoiler:
Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston - The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
https://vk.com/doc-58650815_254012664?dl=c753708760f72ab566
Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit:
https://vk.com/doc176415392_222242886?hash=5e3a8f0a7cbfa92e91&dl=bc6e3d465d2f9e012c
Spoiler:
12 Principles of Animation summarized
http://vimeo.com/93206523
Aaron Hartline and Victor Navone, animators at Pixar Animation Studios and mentors at Animation Mentor, discuss timing and spacing tips and tricks
http://www.animationmentor.com/resources/webinars/timing-and-spacing/
Pixar's 22 rules to phenomenal storytelling
http://imgur.com/gallery/E8xe0

my thread
MichiOffline
I'm trash

Postby SharpBeast » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:52 am

He was not shaky after wall-slam, he was stepping backwards lol.
Other than that, everyone else already pointed out.(seriously read the comments man)
My Thread
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Re: Beastie's Thread= My DC Entry and Walking loop

Postby SharpBeast » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:52 am

New stuff! Be sure to check it out :D
My Thread
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Pivot Beginners Hall