Start your journey with Pivot here.

Moderator: Rank Team

Kestril Tries To Animate Here

Postby Kestril » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am

Newest--FIGHT!: Lancer V.S. Pistoleer

Sword Test
This one is OK I guess. I'm still shaky though

First steps
Yeah, it's not much to judge anything on, but It's something to put up and get me started and keep me involved in the DD community I'm working on creating my own base stick that I find easier to work with. Also probably gonna check out some tutorials. I hope to post something with a little more substance next time.
Last edited by Kestril on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
KestrilOffline

Re: Kestril Tries To Animate Here

Postby Jojishi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:33 am

Good to see you join the site Kestril. The walk animation looks good for a Beginner. It's not much to comment on like you said, but I think it's a good start and that you have potential. Hope you find the tutorials helpful and that you learn more on your time here.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Grams » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 am

I like you. No self-loathing or vice versa, and no excessive use of emoticons imbued.

As you said, not much to comment on, but it's something. Welcome to the site.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Kestril » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:28 am

This took me about three episodes of netflixing Ed, Edd and Eddy.

I'm trying to find the right ratio of "build up" to "movement" if that makes sense.

Easing. easing is the word I'm looking for. Right now I have about 2-5 frames before making a fast movement, but then i look at the .pivs of some of the senior members and there are as much as 10 frames of easing into the movement O.O

I guess I just have to be a bit more patient with future animations.

This 50 frame animation may have more meat to comment about. Let me know if you see anything. That's it for tonight though. I'm going to sleep.
KestrilOffline

Postby Cressel » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:46 am

You don't have to always use 10 frames or more to build up a movement. If you use less frames your movements will look more powerful if done correctly although using more frames result in a smoother transition which is more appealing to the eye.
Keep it up, I think you're already developing a nice style for yourself, just keep working on the basics.
CresselOffline
애교!!!
Fanatic

Postby Kestril » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Here's something I threw together.

I tried to have some more patience in-between movements to ease them out a bit more. I also tried to vary the "force" behind each one. The first slash is medium force, the stab isn't strong at all, and the throw was meant to have the most momentum behind it.

While I do like how it turned out, this is a liiiitle too slooow and "safe" for me. I really prefer more dynamic and fast stuff. But I've been trying to force myself to just keep working on the basics.

Also, ignore how the background line just ends. By the time I realized it I didn't feel like going back and editing it to fix it.
KestrilOffline

Postby Mori » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:11 pm

NICE!!
MoriOffline
PASS PASS PASS
PASS PASS PASS

Postby Anton » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Kestril wrote:Image

I like the timing you put in this anim.
Your movement are stiff and shaky at times, but only practise over time will correct them.
StickMaking | Animations Thread
The switch is now on OFF
AntonOffline
VIP

Postby Kestril » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:49 pm

doop de doop.

I'm happy with the first part with the guy with the lance, but whenever I try to animate more than one figure the quality always seems to go down. Looks like I still got a knack for slow-motion. It took forever to get the flip to look not horrible.
KestrilOffline

Postby Raymond » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:02 am

That is really impressive! You can see your improvement with each animation. And it's easy to tell your having fun with these. Keep it up man, you'll be intermediate in no time.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Cheese » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:47 am

Kestril wrote:doop de doop.

I'm happy with the first part with the guy with the lance, but whenever I try to animate more than one figure the quality always seems to go down. Looks like I still got a knack for slow-motion. It took forever to get the flip to look not horrible.

Yeah, multiple sticks used to be hard to animate for me too.
The recoil is pretty nice and I would say something about the lance but i'm not sure of the weight of it.
Overall I enjoy your animations, and the slowmo is real nice.
One thing i'll say is about the ending, instead of making all stickfigures transparent, another useful way is putting a big white line over the screen so nothing looks weird while fading out
CheeseOffline
i'm nicole now
VIP

Postby Amir » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:03 am

Wow man I fucking love your style, your animations are great, you're improving pretty fast too, keep it up!
AmirOffline
The Red Boss
The Red Boss

Postby Kestril » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:57 pm

AbsolutelyCheese wrote:Yeah, multiple sticks used to be hard to animate for me too.
The recoil is pretty nice and I would say something about the lance but i'm not sure of the weight of it.
Overall I enjoy your animations, and the slowmo is real nice.
One thing i'll say is about the ending, instead of making all stickfigures transparent, another useful way is putting a big white line over the screen so nothing looks weird while fading out

That's a nice little tip. I'll do that next time.

The lance probably seems a little lighter than I intended. The black guy had to somehow keep up with the faster blue guy, so I felt like I had to rush things in some places.

I'm happy with the recoil too. The trick is to animate the shoulder first rather then bending the elbow. The shoulder is the thing that actually takes the most of the recoil.

Amir wrote:Wow man I fucking love your style, your animations are great, you're improving pretty fast too, keep it up!

Awesome! This means a ton! I fucking love YOUR style too. I was browsing the intermediate area and was struck by how intense your fights get while flowing all together.

In any case, I'll leave you with a preview of the next animation I'm working on:

KestrilOffline

Postby Franklin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:56 pm

You are improving really quickly, and animating quite a bit. I really love you style!
FranklinOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Pivot Beginners Hall