Thread FLIP - UPDATE 03/23/15

Start your journey with Pivot here.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: Thread FLIP - UPDATE 03/17/15

Postby Llama » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 pm

The attacks need faster acceleration. In reality, the only slow portion might be the build-up, but the attack itself is a very quick movement. When extending the limbs in an attack, try and make the move last no longer than two frames; three is where it starts slowing down.

Stiffness is also an issue to look at, but you've been told this enough times. Just try and move every joint, even if by a small margin, to alleviate the stiff feeling.
LlamaOffline
but why though
VIP

Postby FLIPit949 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:07 pm

LlamaPIVOT wrote:The attacks need faster acceleration. In reality, the only slow portion might be the build-up, but the attack itself is a very quick movement. When extending the limbs in an attack, try and make the move last no longer than two frames; three is where it starts slowing down.

Stiffness is also an issue to look at, but you've been told this enough times. Just try and move every joint, even if by a small margin, to alleviate the stiff feeling.

I was trying to implement some 3D in the first punch, thus why it came out so slow, I was more pleased with the 3D on the leg kick though, but I'll be sure to work on those things, thank you!
Check out my animation thread over here!
http://thedarkdemon.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2445

BBoDDV - 34/250+ frames (cheesygrin
FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Postby FLIPit949 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:18 pm

New/oldish update! Check it out in the first page!

FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Postby TheLegendV » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:41 pm

hah, i duunno, on the combo anim you need to work on poses and stuff. Also, i saw the you animate the punch in that unrealistic - like way.
I don't like it. I did that kind of punch when i was a beginner too. Doing punches like that makes the punch no power.
make a punch like this:

Spoiler:

Anyway, that was a smooth animation. Good job!

Well on that sneak peak thing, the fall is suppose to be quick not so slow and smooth.
Also work on physics. I don't understand that ball moving for no reason .. ____
This Dude has something in his mind...

Joint Points : 1

Collab Entry Points: 0

My Pivot Thread: http://thedarkdemon.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1859

My Flash thread : http://thedarkdemon.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2451

Working on:

Project - Power VS Electricity 0/0 frames
TheLegendVOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby FLIPit949 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:14 am

TheLegendV wrote:hah, i duunno, on the combo anim you need to work on poses and stuff. Also, i saw the you animate the punch in that unrealistic - like way.
I don't like it. I did that kind of punch when i was a beginner too. Doing punches like that makes the punch no power.
make a punch like this:

Spoiler:

Anyway, that was a smooth animation. Good job!

Well on that sneak peak thing, the fall is suppose to be quick not so slow and smooth.
Also work on physics. I don't understand that ball moving for no reason .. ____

I'll work on the punch, thank you.
I have to change the direction in which the ball is rolling because it is reversed. The ball moves due an effect which, if my mind isn't failing right now, is called the bernoulli effect and the differences in pressure in air (:P

FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Postby TheLegendV » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:17 am

FLIPit949 wrote:I'll work on the punch, thank you.
I have to change the direction in which the ball is rolling because it is reversed. The ball moves due an effect which, if my mind isn't failing right now, is called the bernoulli effect and the differences in pressure in air (:P

what kind of effect is that? (scared
This Dude has something in his mind...

Joint Points : 1

Collab Entry Points: 0

My Pivot Thread: http://thedarkdemon.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1859

My Flash thread : http://thedarkdemon.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2451

Working on:

Project - Power VS Electricity 0/0 frames
TheLegendVOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby FLIPit949 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:36 pm

FLIPit949 wrote:
TheLegendV wrote:
FLIPit949 wrote:I'll work on the punch, thank you.

what kind of effect is that? (scared

Basically, when something moves faster than usual, it creates an area of low pressure in front and around them. You've probably noticed that, when a car is travelling at high speeds, if you're close enought to it, you'll feel like you're being pulled in by the car, this is because you actually are being pushed, not by the car, but by the air, because the air is trying to "fill up" the low pressure area using a higher pressure area, meaning, it's surroundings. For a more detailed explanation go to the Wikipédia or a physics textbook from year 12, at least i studied this this year!

FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Postby Franklin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:52 pm

I think that it's really great that you're trying to incorperate advanced physics into your animation, but I don't really think that this is a good place for it. I doubt that the force from the air pressure is enough to move a ball of that size, and something like that will only confuse viewers. Nice idea, though. For the actual animation:
- The guy being blown away has very unnatural movement because:
- He is off balance, standing on one foot for an awfully long time.
- When he sees the falling guy, he moves his head up only, without any other body movement in the torso or arms.
- There is no idle stance in use.
- He is blown away too slowly, and possibly a little too vertically. His pose also needs to have his head, limbs, etc. bending in the opposite direction than he is flying.
- The guy falling falls too slowly. Increase the speed, and do the same thing to the pose as I mentioned above.
- I have no idea why his leg is sticking up when he hits the ground.
- Try adding more bounce to him when he hits the ground.

If you want a good example of about what you were going for, look at this:
Spoiler:
Made by Echo

Courtesy?
FranklinOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jojishi » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:17 am

First animation, the electricity seemed good and I liked the flame effect. When he flew up into the air his legs were stiff because you weren't moving them any. It looked okay, but could have looked more fluid if there was some movement going on.

In the second animation, you've moved all the limbs in all the frames, so good work there. You've attempted to ease (slow down/speed up) and it comes across okay, but you have shakiness. What this basically means is that when you've slowed it down as the figure bends down, the spacing jumps around inconsistently like this |------------|------|----------|---|-------|--|-| when it should be like this |----------|-------|-----|----|--|-| ("|" = frame, "-" = spacing). The spacing is the movement from the previous frame. Make sure the spacing is more consistent and doesn't jump suddenly. Any increase or decrease in speed should happen over a series of frames.

Hope this helps.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby FLIPit949 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Root wrote:I think that it's really great that you're trying to incorperate advanced physics into your animation, but I don't really think that this is a good place for it. I doubt that the force from the air pressure is enough to move a ball of that size, and something like that will only confuse viewers. Nice idea, though. For the actual animation:
- The guy being blown away has very unnatural movement because:
- He is off balance, standing on one foot for an awfully long time.
- When he sees the falling guy, he moves his head up only, without any other body movement in the torso or arms.
- There is no idle stance in use.
- He is blown away too slowly, and possibly a little too vertically. His pose also needs to have his head, limbs, etc. bending in the opposite direction than he is flying.
- The guy falling falls too slowly. Increase the speed, and do the same thing to the pose as I mentioned above.
- I have no idea why his leg is sticking up when he hits the ground.
- Try adding more bounce to him when he hits the ground.

If you want a good example of about what you were going for, look at this:
Spoiler:
Made by Echo

Courtesy?

I wanted to show that he was moving SO fast that even the ball was moving due to it's force, thus why I implemented it.
You're right, that off-balanceness happened because I wanted to give it some slow-motion, but failed.
I'll work on it, thank you!

Jojishi wrote:First animation, the electricity seemed good and I liked the flame effect. When he flew up into the air his legs were stiff because you weren't moving them any. It looked okay, but could have looked more fluid if there was some movement going on.

In the second animation, you've moved all the limbs in all the frames, so good work there. You've attempted to ease (slow down/speed up) and it comes across okay, but you have shakiness. What this basically means is that when you've slowed it down as the figure bends down, the spacing jumps around inconsistently like this |------------|------|----------|---|-------|--|-| when it should be like this |----------|-------|-----|----|--|-| ("|" = frame, "-" = spacing). The spacing is the movement from the previous frame. Make sure the spacing is more consistent and doesn't jump suddenly. Any increase or decrease in speed should happen over a series of frames.

Hope this helps.

I'll remember that next time I do a flying animation, thank you!

yea... the second animation is actually rubbish... I made that at 2:30 am and did it in half an hour so I was already pretty tired and at the time I tried to fix a little bit that shakiness but wasn't doing it right so I decided to quit and just post it anyway just so I had something more for you guys to give me help on!
I'll work on the spacing a little bit more, thank you!

FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Postby SupaPig » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:12 pm

I really like your style, and for a guy who hasn't been animating in that many years, you're amazing! Anyways, one thing I noticed was that in your Sword Slash, there a few small mistakes. The first was that in the beginning when the blue guy appears, his left foot slid into the other position rather than stepping into that spot. Second, when the red guy falls into the screen, in the last couple frames of falling, he seems to move too much to the left. The momentum of the fall would land him closer to the right of the screen. If you compare when he comes to the screen to where he lands, you will notice that it's not even. I would recommend using more onion layers for this, to make sure when you ease the objects, it moves evenly. Third, the blue guy just seems to flip himself to face the red guy. Is this an issue? If it's meant to be like that, then disregard me for being stupid. Third, when the blue guy jumps, he should hang in the air when he reaches the epoch of the jump a little longer, because you don't just start to fall as soon as you reach the top of a jump. But anyways, overall this is excellent work! Keep it up man! :D

Courtesy?
My Thread><><><><><><><My Profile

Animating:BBoDD V Entry:
Progress: 10/1000 Frames
SupaPigOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby FLIPit949 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:32 pm

SupaPig wrote:I really like your style, and for a guy who hasn't been animating in that many years, you're amazing! Anyways, one thing I noticed was that in your Sword Slash, there a few small mistakes. The first was that in the beginning when the blue guy appears, his left foot slid into the other position rather than stepping into that spot. Second, when the red guy falls into the screen, in the last couple frames of falling, he seems to move too much to the left. The momentum of the fall would land him closer to the right of the screen. If you compare when he comes to the screen to where he lands, you will notice that it's not even. I would recommend using more onion layers for this, to make sure when you ease the objects, it moves evenly. Third, the blue guy just seems to flip himself to face the red guy. Is this an issue? If it's meant to be like that, then disregard me for being stupid. Third, when the blue guy jumps, he should hang in the air when he reaches the epoch of the jump a little longer, because you don't just start to fall as soon as you reach the top of a jump. But anyways, overall this is excellent work! Keep it up man! :D

Courtesy?

Thank you very much!

FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Re: Thread FLIP - UPDATE 03/23/15

Postby FLIPit949 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:12 pm

Updated the first post, check it out!
ps: I know I should be working on the BBoDDV right now but since its 4 am I decided to just finish an animation that I already had almost done and post it to keep this thread updated and kind of active!

FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Postby Franklin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:05 am

You seem to be having trouble with wheel kicks, so I'll just leave this here for you to use as reference:
By Lush
Hope it helps!
FranklinOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby FLIPit949 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Root wrote:You seem to be having trouble with wheel kicks, so I'll just leave this here for you to use as reference:
By Lush
Hope it helps!

Thank you very much!

FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Previous

Return to Pivot Beginners Hall