Postby Derelict » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:45 am

Derelict

Most recent:

Download piv

Download piv

Other:

Credits to Cris, Valtus and Agmo4 for some of the stk files used

Little disclaimer
I'm looking forward to improve the quality of my animations, but for now, I'm trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I've not had much time to toy around with pivot, so my experience is rather lacking. A fortiori, criticism is welcome.
Last edited by Derelict on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Swim in strange waters.
DerelictOffline
Watcher
Watcher

Re: Derelict's thread.

Postby elixir » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:40 pm

your style is pretty cool :D
elixirOffline
VIP

Postby Jojishi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Being completely honest, your animation quality surprised me. How long have you been animating for? You say you've just started toying around in Pivot, so you must have used another program before?

It's hard to give advice since you can space smoothly and use good poses, easing and flow. However, each time you've animated a landing it seems to stop suddenly. You could show more weight here by moving the stick-figure down more in the frame after the feet make contact with the ground (basically, just continue the momentum more).

Other than that, I don't see anything holding you back from Intermediate so you'll probably get moved up soon with another animation or two. Very nice style you have as well.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Derelict » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:17 am

Thread is updated, I saw the way Firecracker animates foot and legs, so I tried it on the green guy, and tried what Jojishi said on the purple guy.
I'll continue to work on it on a future animation.
Swim in strange waters.
DerelictOffline
Watcher
Watcher

Postby Jojishi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 pm

That newest animation looks brilliant, especially since the momentum continues for a longer period of time in the landing. There's a greater sense of weight now. The only thing holding it back is the purple character's back leg shaking slightly, but other than that it looks Intermediate to me.

One more animation like this and I'm 99% certain you'll be moved up. Also, you seem to have movements down so I'd really like to see what else you can do with effects, backgrounds and other things that improve the visuals. :)
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Blademaster » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:04 am

Hey dude, welcome to the forum.

those animations are looking really nice. they seem to be quite smooth and somehow have a nostalgic touch. Also remind me a bit of my own stuff.
Your issue seems to be that you increase your spacing a little too much and that leads to the fact that your stickfigures are super light and fast.

most recent #1
he barely had any air time and didnt really pushed himself from green away to get into the air. the landing pose looks a bit weird.

most recent #2
The black guy is moving like super fast and over quite a huge distance. I mean the first part, until he jumps back on his hands, seems to be fine for me. When he starts doing that wallflip into backflip, gravity and speed gets out of hand.

well good job nonetheless, keep it up dude. (thumbsup
Last edited by Blademaster on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlademasterOffline
Rising Sun
Rising Sun

Postby Mat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 am

These animations look very familiar. Did you happen to use specific animations to replicate the movements in them? Because I know I've seen those movements animated similarly before. If so you did a pretty good job of mimicking the style, if not I'm very impressed since you started using the program recently.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Silver » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Wow I'ts pretty good make more pls :)
SilverOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Derelict » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Thread updated. Slow paced animation which I'm very hesitant to finish, since I'm now committing to a more whole, better produced animation as Jojishi suggested. Additionally piv files I didn't delete are now available for download.
Swim in strange waters.
DerelictOffline
Watcher
Watcher

Postby Jojishi » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:52 pm

This is awesome. Nice to see a complex movement here, and I don't see any reason why you should stay Beginner so I'll make a move-up thread for you. Looking forward to that project. :)

By the way, I'm hosting the DDC13 (our site's major collaboration) and I think it would be so good if you could join that. Something to consider. c:
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Echo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:32 pm

You should use background color in your animations. I really like your animations.

Lithium wrote:Enjoyed that, how about making one with a huge boulder chasing a dude. I reckon you'd be really good at something like that. (thumbsup (thumbsup
EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Postby Jojishi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:37 pm

You were ridiculously close to a move-up with literally one vote needed, which probably won't happen at this stage.

Staff members felt you were there with your most recent animation(s) but they would like to see more. There were some minor things they thought you could improve such as: slight shakiness, not enough anticipation before a movement and possibly some awkward poses (you can see a tutorial for that here.) Personally I feel the only things that should determine if someone's Intermediate would be if they can animate spacing, easing and flow well (which you can do). As long as you understand those three things, your movements will always look good. However, it may not be a bad idea to brush up on the things I listed earlier.

Mainly, they just want to see more. When you post more animations you'll likely get moved up, but honestly, ranks don't matter one bit. There's an animator (or possibly, a few) that are Intermediates who could be Elites. Plus, while in the past it was more likely your animations would be seen in high sections, that isn't the case today now that the site is less active.

I'm looking forward to those projects you're animating Derelict. I'm definitely interested in seeing what else you do.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Derelict » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Jojishi wrote: [...]
I'm looking forward to those projects you're animating Derelict. I'm definitely interested in seeing what else you do.

Thank you. I can see what you say about some intermediates deserving higher ranks. I've seen how subjective ranking can be. Anyway, it doesn't bother me to stay a begginner, and it wouldn't bother me if my next animation still doesn't get me intermediate. I like Pivot a lot, even though with my current project I've been struggling with how limited it can be, but figuring stuff out is part of the fun in learning this.

I'm working hard on my animation for the DDC, since due date is only 1 month from now. I have high expectations for it even though I should not, so not dissappointing myself is a big motivation to get it done on time.
Swim in strange waters.
DerelictOffline
Watcher
Watcher

Postby Valkyn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:38 pm

I really like your most recent one. Only suggestion I have is that his back looks a bit stiff on the way down. Other than that, I love the fluidity and the balance/muscle control.
"No u." ~Aristotle

ValkynOffline
no longer than 20 ch
VIP

Return to Pivot Beginners Hall