Hi, I'm new! Or am I ..?

Start your journey with Pivot here.

Moderator: Rank Team

Hi, I'm new! Or am I ..?

Postby h0rseradish » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:10 am

Pretty much as in the title. Used to post some high-beginner grade stuff (according to reports of that time) on the old site, before disappearing into the darkness for 9 years or so. Thought I'd relieve me that little bit of glory by posting a cute little animation of a guy beating the stuffing out of a Pivot 2.2.5 (do I remember it well?) default stickfigure. Enjoy!

Some of you might have noticed that this post, not to mention the animation, are strangely similar to this thread on the old site: http://www.animator.net/forum/pivot-beg ... -am-i.html

Silly me, I went through the trouble of resetting my 9-year-old password before I realised that the old site went dead, and came here pretty much the same day. Either way, glad to be back and hope to stay around for all the fun stuff!
Look, I've got my own thread! - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4612
h0rseradishOffline

Re: Hi, I'm new! Or am I ..?

Postby Youngster » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:19 am

Cooooool. What's with that weak ass uppercut that sent the thin stick flying?
"

Currently working on:Something
YoungsterOffline
Noob
VIP

Postby h0rseradish » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 am

Clever wrote:Cooooool. What's with that weak ass uppercut that sent the thin stick flying?

Thanks for the comment, Clever! I shamefully admit that it was my lazy attempt at making the thin stick disappear, so I don't have to deal with it further on. In my defense, I was merely shaking off rust I had accumulated over 9 years of absence. Nonetheless, I will try to tweak it appropriately - maybe I will downplay the thin stickman's reaction to the hit, maybe I will make the thick one land a harder punch - maybe both?

Either way, I take it from your comment that you rather liked it - glad to know! I shall come up with something new soon, if you're interested.
Look, I've got my own thread! - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4612
h0rseradishOffline

Postby Raymond » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Not bad for a 9 year break. The animation is smooth, but it lacks some power. The second punch was probably the most powerful of the 3 attacks because you showed his arm snap back right after the punch, where as in the first punch he holds his arm extended for a couple frames.

The start of the uppercut was pretty good, he brings his arm back in preparation for it, but there is no follow through on the attack itself. His fist makes contact with the default's head and then stops there. The momentum from his fist should transfer up into the air and his back should straighten out. So an example of his ending position would looks like this.

So the fact that his back is still arched while executing the uppercut is what's making the uppercut lack power in my opinion. Also you stopped the spacing of his arm right before it makes contact with the default's head. Try and keep the spacing of his arm even throughout the attack and remember that before his arm can stop, it needs to lose all the momentum it built up.

Just keep practicing, have fun, and you'll improve in no time.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Return to Pivot Beginners Hall