Drakus' Animation Thread

Post your animations here when you advance from Beginner.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: Drakus' Animation Thread

Postby Drakus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 pm

I tried testing the use of shadows, and went for a completely random way to do so. Still not complete, I might fix up the blob jiggle thing. How is it?
Spoiler:
My animation thread; viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4618
DrakusOffline
Active
Active

Postby Drakus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:39 am

Testing some things with Alp's stk: a floppy Giga (this is meant to represent a rubber toy, I forgot to mention this before)
Spoiler:
Last edited by Drakus on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrakusOffline
Active
Active

Postby ZucchiniJuice » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:04 am

Well dud. I'd say you are on the borderline of high beginner and low intermediate. Your movements are decent, but can be improve a bit. Most movements you do are well eased, but they move for the sake of being eased and smooth, not for the purpose of trying to transition into the next main key pose, or giving into gravity so your arms just plop down to the side... real physical reasons. Your movements aren't being animated with a sense of gravity, its being animated in a sense of what you feel looks good... is a way I would sum it up. Mainly, you just need a longer animation with more complex movements. Once that is in place, you'll probably get a 100% chance of becoming intermediate.

Honestly, I suck at any percise-detail cnc. I can do big picture ones cnc pretty good tho.
ZucchiniJuiceOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Drakus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:30 am

ZucchiniJuice wrote:Well dud. I'd say you are on the borderline of high beginner and low intermediate. Your movements are decent, but can be improve a bit. Most movements you do are well eased, but they move for the sake of being eased and smooth, not for the purpose of trying to transition into the next main key pose, or giving into gravity so your arms just plop down to the side... real physical reasons. Your movements aren't being animated with a sense of gravity, its being animated in a sense of what you feel looks good... is a way I would sum it up. Mainly, you just need a longer animation with more complex movements. Once that is in place, you'll probably get a 100% chance of becoming intermediate.

This is much appreciated man, thanks! I'm on it.
DrakusOffline
Active
Active

Postby SIFTER » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 am

ImageThat's how much of it you have in your anim. Weight is usually shown through varying the spacing and timing. To simplify, the more sudden/less smooth the easing is, the heavier the object gets. Knowing a dinosaur, you're typically dealing with something extremely heavy, so it's best to make him fall quite suddenly.
Here's an example. Compare the two and tell me which feels heavier. Keep in mind this used less frames, meaning faster timing. Not everything that's buttery smooth can be called good, so I'd say you should experiment with timing quite a bit. Make duplicates of the same piv file, then remove and add frames inbetween to see what works and what doesn't. Overall, you're nearly there, so just keep it up and you'll reach it to intermediate. I know I've commented on at least a few of those in the Discord. Making it to that rank has never been easier these days, so don't stress yourself over it too much.
Spoiler:
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby Drakus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:08 am

Sifter wrote:ImageThat's how much of it you have in your anim. Weight is usually shown through varying the spacing and timing. To simplify, the more sudden/less smooth the easing is, the heavier the object gets. Knowing a dinosaur, you're typically dealing with something extremely heavy, so it's best to make him fall quite suddenly.
Here's an example. Compare the two and tell me which feels heavier. Keep in mind this used less frames, meaning faster timing. Not everything that's buttery smooth can be called good, so I'd say you should experiment with timing quite a bit. Make duplicates of the same piv file, then remove and add frames inbetween to see what works and what doesn't. Overall, you're nearly there, so just keep it up and you'll reach it to intermediate. I know I've commented on at least a few of those in the Discord. Making it to that rank has never been easier these days, so don't stress yourself over it too much.
Spoiler:

Ahhh I see, but I do not completely agree with your opinion of how a giant object should fall, at least in this case. A heavier object requires more time to build up speed as it hits the ground, this can be seen with when trees and buildings fall, but this is most apparent when seeing how godzilla moved in the movie. All three of these type of objects don't fall as fast to the ground as us humans do, that's because they're greater in height and much heavier, I get that when u drop two things, the heavier one will hit the floor first but not when it comes to organisms that weigh 4-8 tons.
Well honestly, it all depends on what prompted the fall of the object, the amount of force used to force the object to fall.
The giga falling animation was just me aiming for an unrealistic 'humorous' approach, but I'll try animate a realistic falling animation, I'll animate two tests.
Thanks for the feedback though (smile
DrakusOffline
Active
Active

Postby tuna » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Sifter wrote:ImageThat's how much of it you have in your anim. Weight is usually shown through varying the spacing and timing. To simplify, the more sudden/less smooth the easing is, the heavier the object gets. Knowing a dinosaur, you're typically dealing with something extremely heavy, so it's best to make him fall quite suddenly.
Spoiler:

bruh acceleration under gravity is exactly the same for any object; heavy or light. your example is just plain wrong. weight can be shown by a lack of change in direction (ie: intertia)
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Michi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Wall o' text ahead
Spoiler:
Sifter wrote:snip

this is wrong.

F - Force
m - mass
g - acceleration of gravity
a - acceleration
F = mg
F = ma
ma = mg
a = g
the gravity acceleration of objects is the same no matter their mass, provided we don't take air resistance into consideration.
example:

The ball on the left weighs 5 kilograms whereas the ball on the right is your typical basketball. As you can see they fall down at the exact same speed even though their mass differs.

tl;dr Sifter pls git gud at physics
Spoiler:
Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston - The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
https://vk.com/doc-58650815_254012664?dl=c753708760f72ab566
Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit:
https://vk.com/doc176415392_222242886?hash=5e3a8f0a7cbfa92e91&dl=bc6e3d465d2f9e012c
Spoiler:
12 Principles of Animation summarized
http://vimeo.com/93206523
Aaron Hartline and Victor Navone, animators at Pixar Animation Studios and mentors at Animation Mentor, discuss timing and spacing tips and tricks
http://www.animationmentor.com/resources/webinars/timing-and-spacing/
Pixar's 22 rules to phenomenal storytelling
http://imgur.com/gallery/E8xe0

my thread
MichiOffline
I'm trash

Postby Drakus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Lol, flame has a PHD in physics.
DrakusOffline
Active
Active

Postby Drakus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:09 am

A t-rex walk cycle. I could never get the tail flow loop correctly. Stk by MrTriangleWorld https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTriangleWorld . What do you think?
Last edited by Drakus on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrakusOffline
Active
Active

Postby .paperv » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:34 am

It looks fine too me, or maybe 'cause I can't animate dinosaur. I love it dude, it looks so cartoony yet kinda having a realism to it. But I don't think the tail is alright, I don't think the dinosaur wave its tail all the time. And if you did it in purpose then it's up to you, imo it kinda stiff especially the edge, look at them. Pay more attention in the tail near the body too, I know it's moving but it's very slightly which makes it stiff I think. The more you move the dots and give more wave the more it looks better. Loop is hard bro, that's why I don't make loop hehe :P but if you want to have the best, you should experiment it wave the tail in a different way or move them further. It's a loop, so you have to get the perfect timing. Otherwise great job! It's cool, dude. Keep it up!
I make cool moves

. (scared .

.papervOffline
// NV // Vito
// NV // Vito

Postby Drakus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 pm

This is the opening sequence to a contest entry, I tried to fix the stiff legs but it only ended up becoming worse. (cry
DrakusOffline
Active
Active

Postby Michi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:37 am

The staging is weird, i don't really see any reason for the dinosaur's head to be obstructed by that tree
Spoiler:
Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston - The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
https://vk.com/doc-58650815_254012664?dl=c753708760f72ab566
Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit:
https://vk.com/doc176415392_222242886?hash=5e3a8f0a7cbfa92e91&dl=bc6e3d465d2f9e012c
Spoiler:
12 Principles of Animation summarized
http://vimeo.com/93206523
Aaron Hartline and Victor Navone, animators at Pixar Animation Studios and mentors at Animation Mentor, discuss timing and spacing tips and tricks
http://www.animationmentor.com/resources/webinars/timing-and-spacing/
Pixar's 22 rules to phenomenal storytelling
http://imgur.com/gallery/E8xe0

my thread
MichiOffline
I'm trash

Postby Drakus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Working on a mini movie, first of a series I'm doing. ACO 1 (Completely Remastered).
Hope you like it.
DrakusOffline
Active
Active

Postby Drakus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:32 am

Just to update this Thread, this was made a while back.
Deeelicious!
DrakusOffline
Active
Active

Previous

Return to Pivot Intermediate Area