Teh's Tehread (AZRA) First-Person Suicide

Start your journey with Pivot here.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: Teh's Tehread (AZRA)

Postby Waters » Wed May 28, 2014 7:08 am

These are sick man, I'd love to see more.
||Fightan Youtube||
5B>B>3C>2DC>5DA>dl[4]6A>5B>3C>2DC>6DC/Super/[2]8C
WatersOffline
Option Selects
Option Selects

Re: Teh's Tehread (AZRA)

Postby Teh » Wed May 28, 2014 7:46 am

Mizu wrote:These are sick man, I'd love to see more.

Thanks man! I'll do my best.
TehOffline
Active
Active

Re: Teh's Tehread (AZRA) First-Person Suicide

Postby Caleb » Thu May 29, 2014 2:37 am

God dammit, stop animating so much for Pivot Points, I was gonna race for first place with Gary.

Anyways, this is a somewhat more interesting thread, since it has some first person in it, which means I can't just rehash the old words that everybody knows but doesn't use to an extent where they're intermediate. So let's begin, shall we?

So, what you did with the first person shows that you don't really know what you were doing. I recommend watching some videos from first person view, which would be gopro videos, to help you see how it looks before animating it if you don't know where to start. That's usually actually a good idea. If you don't know how to go about a movement or such, study a real life video and try to replicate it with a bit of exaggeration here and there for style.

But yeah, since that still doesn't explain much about first person in itself, let me explain. I'll start with 3d. First off, look at how the feet went out of screen. There's no actual 3d, they just move out of the screen towards the bottom. If you had moved the feet a bit sideways and shortened them when it's at an angle (e.g when he moved his left leg forward in the jump), they'd look like 3d. Also, with the pants, since they're a straight line, it's not as clear that they're not on the same line as the feet are. I suggest making the line wider as it would be closer to the camera. You don't have to take this to the next level to do it with every slight bit of 3d, but it can add a nice touch every now and then and make it a lot more pleasing to the eye. You did the hands pretty well with some minor flaws that I won't be talking about now.

Now then, that's as far as first person explaining goes. If you have another movement you don't really understand and you're just absolutely clueless, just hit me up with a PM and I'll make an example animation and break it down in steps for you to hopefully help you understand better. NOW FOR THE REST YAY

So, your movements are pretty good, but you forget some sort of basic things because you're too focused on the movement itself. For example, the way the guy holds the hammer with the blacksmith/hammertime animation. If he'd held that hammer facing down all the time, or done a sideways swing with some cool 3d in it that would be a lot more believable than how it is now. Then in the noob animation you forget the footwork at the end and just kinda half-ass it through.

Also physics. I'll use the hammertime animation again. The blood looked good, but the reaction of the stickman was sorta odd. He got smashes with all that force and doesn't even fall back until a few frames later. Look at the direction the blow is going and make the reacting stickman or other object go the same way as the blow. I do realize you kind of stylized it, but with such a strong blow it's just so cool to see the stickman flying. If this concept isn't clear to you, hit me up with a PM and I'll give you an example using sports.

So this should be all. I hope this satisfies your needs.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Teh » Thu May 29, 2014 3:57 am

Caleb wrote:God dammit, stop animating so much for Pivot Points, I was gonna race for first place with Gary.

Haha, sorry bro! :D

But yeah, anyone who gives that good CC deserves Rank Team. A very big thanks man!Oh, and could you please rank me too?
TehOffline
Active
Active

Postby Caleb » Thu May 29, 2014 4:17 am

I'd say high beginner for now. If you venture out some more like you did with the first person animation and show that you can animate those well I'd say you're ready for intermediate.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Previous

Return to Pivot Beginners Hall