Intermediate Chat/ Showoff [01]

Post your animations here when you advance from Beginner.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: Intermediate Chat/ Showoff [01]

Postby Amir » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Tuna wrote:god dayumm, has anyone seen umbrella vs FLFFL by Resh? it's so beautiful, i'm about 123% inspired right now :D

Yeah it was very awesome, the angles, 3D and those effects like the lighting....were incredible.
But I still think it lacks some 2nd fight. To many close ups. But the fact that he did it in a week is incredible.
AmirOffline
The Red Boss
The Red Boss

Postby Stickly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:26 pm

You guys should get to know him, he's a cool guy. Hopefully me and him will release something that'll knock socks off soon.

Resh used to have just a YouTube channel and a steady new animation every week. It's incredible how fast he gets stuff done, and how much inspiration and motivation he has.

He must have a LOT of time on his hands, either that or he has memorized and studied all of the movements of a stickfigure. He improved greatly as well since his first appearance on sp. love him
My Animation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4795
SticklyOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Waffles Mgee » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I totally want pivot to have a sound library and the ability to assign sounds to frames, like Flash.
Waffles MgeeOffline
Gold Member
VIP

Postby Echo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdM3iP7BFSk
Damn ... I really liked FLLFFL

Lithium wrote:Enjoyed that, how about making one with a huge boulder chasing a dude. I reckon you'd be really good at something like that. (thumbsup (thumbsup
EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Postby Echo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Ur not inter yet feller...

But here ya go :)
http://www.stickpage.com/terkoizseries.shtml

That's a double post now, you naughty boy.

Lithium wrote:Enjoyed that, how about making one with a huge boulder chasing a dude. I reckon you'd be really good at something like that. (thumbsup (thumbsup
EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Postby Jojishi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Resh is overrated. His animations are good, but you can definitely tell it was made in a week. Which isn't a good thing at all. He should take more time and not rush his work so much. It's pretty evident he rushes with the amount of motion tweening and close ups. It also doesn't help that the credits and introduction are roughly 50% of the video there.

I think he's a good animator, but he needs to take his time.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Omega » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Tuna wrote:god dayumm, has anyone seen umbrella vs FLFFL by Resh? it's so beautiful, i'm about 123% inspired right now :D

Haven't seen it, link plex
OmegaOffline
Hymen Bustah
VIP

Postby Stickly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:54 pm

furst p3rsun sh00t3r
My Animation Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4795
SticklyOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby OblivionFall » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Jojishi wrote:Resh is overrated. His animations are good, but you can definitely tell it was made in a week. Which isn't a good thing at all. He should take more time and not rush his work so much.

Terkoiz challenged HIM to an RHG battle and the deadline was one week. IMO, it doesn't looked rushed at all.

This would have taken me at least two months to make, and it wouldn't have looked half as good. The attention to detail is astounding. Each sword swing releases a spray of water droplets which are perfectly animated and unique to each shot, and the cinematic 3D is a million times better than anything I could ever achieve.

Jojishi wrote:It's pretty evident he rushes with the amount of motion tweening and close ups.

How is this a legitimate complaint? The close up slow motion shots looked great. I don't know how experienced you are with Flash, but if you want epic slow-mo, you'd be stupid not to use tweens. It's completely impractical to do it frame by frame and end up with a result that looks exactly the same. You cant count pixels in Flash like you can in Pivot.

Just because tweens are easier, that doesn't mean the animation is lazy or rushed. Resh included plenty of shots full of fast paced action too so I don't see the issue. Terkoiz abuses tweens far more than Resh does and I hear no complaints.

Jojishi wrote:It also doesn't help that the credits and introduction are roughly 50% of the video there.

Even without the introduction and credits we still get nearly three full minutes of animation. That's 4,000+ frames. The introduction was at least another 1000 frames, that that looked pretty good on its own too.

The fact that he was able to do this much in only a week is incredible. Yes, if he spent more time the animations could look even better, but calling him overrated for working quickly doesn't make any sense it all. This animation is better than at least 99% of other stick fights I've seen. Period.
OblivionFallOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Echo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:10 am

Anyone else thinks that Beginners(Not all beginners) should learn how to write good comments ? I'm sick of getting these "Cool anim" comments

IDK maybe I'm just a little too butthurt for no reason :/

EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Postby Jojishi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:36 am

OblivionFall wrote:Terkoiz challenged HIM to an RHG battle and the deadline was one week. IMO, it doesn't looked rushed at all.

This would have taken me at least two months to make, and it wouldn't have looked half as good. The attention to detail is astounding. Each sword swing releases a spray of water droplets which are perfectly animated and unique to each shot, and the cinematic 3D is a million times better than anything I could ever achieve.

Good point there about the deadline. I feel quite silly for forgetting that vital aspect. I agree with everything else you say here. The water droplets and cinematic 3D were bad-ass.

OblivionFall wrote:How is this a legitimate complaint? The close up slow motion shots looked great. I don't know how experienced you are with Flash, but if you want epic slow-mo, you'd be stupid not to use tweens. It's completely impractical to do it frame by frame and end up with a result that looks exactly the same. You cant count pixels in Flash like you can in Pivot.

Just because tweens are easier, that doesn't mean the animation is lazy or rushed. Resh included plenty of shots full of fast paced action too so I don't see the issue. Terkoiz abuses tweens far more than Resh does and I hear no complaints.

There's nothing wrong at all with tweens. If it's a more efficient way of executing a slow-motion movement, then by all means people should use it. He actually made it look quite good with the way he utilised it as well. My main issue was that the action was broken up by so many shots of slow-motion close ups, which are relatively easy to produce in comparison to action scenes presenting the whole body. There was one awesome scene at 2:12 - 2:15 which I would have liked to see a lot more of. 3:00 - 3:07 also showed some beautiful animation.

I understand that he couldn't do more of this due to time restraints, but I think that he could have ignored the time limit when he saw how epic this project was turning out to be. 1 week for an animation of this magnitude is a little ridiculous. Again, I know it was part of the challenge but I definitely would have liked to see this project pushed further to showcase what he's truly capable of.

OblivionFall wrote:Even without the introduction and credits we still get nearly three full minutes of animation. That's 4,000+ frames. The introduction was at least another 1000 frames, that that looked pretty good on its own too.

The fact that he was able to do this much in only a week is incredible. Yes, if he spent more time the animations could look even better, but calling him overrated for working quickly doesn't make any sense it all. This animation is better than at least 99% of other stick fights I've seen. Period.

You're right about that. My expectations are exceedingly high when it comes to things like this. 4,000+ frames is actually quite a lot.

I wasn't too clear when I said he was overrated. He's not overrated for working quickly, but because of the amount of people that say he's the best animator they've seen. He's good at what he does but he still has quite a bit to go. The same used to go for Terkoiz when people would say he was the best. I always liked his animations but didn't see what was so great about him. Now that he's been animating full-body work I actually feel like he's living up to the hype his audience built for him. This is more of a complaint about the people who watch their work. They shouldn't feel like they have to live up to the hype at all.

But at the end of the day it's just my opinion out of the vast sea of people who do say he's the best... So who knows, maybe he is. Personally, I'm not feeling like his animations are that good yet. I still really liked this animation from him but would like to see him spend more time on a project. That's all it is really.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby OblivionFall » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:54 am

Jojishi wrote:There's nothing wrong at all with tweens. If it's a more efficient way of executing a slow-motion movement, then by all means people should use it. He actually made it look quite good with the way he utilised it as well. My main issue was that the action was broken up by so many shots of slow-motion close ups, which are relatively easy to produce in comparison to action scenes presenting the whole body. There was one awesome scene at 2:12 - 2:15 which I would have liked to see a lot more of. 3:00 - 3:07 also showed some beautiful animation.

I understand that he couldn't do more of this due to time restraints, but I think that he could have ignored the time limit when he saw how epic this project was turning out to be. 1 week for an animation of this magnitude is a little ridiculous. Again, I know it was part of the challenge but I definitely would have liked to see this project pushed further to showcase what he's truly capable of.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I get what you mean now :) I think, and this is just a theory, that not extending the deadline could be an honor thing. I'm not too familiar with RHG culture outside of the animations I've watched, though. It's understandable that Terkoiz couldn't complete his animation on time due to real life and work. (If Terkoiz ever does get around to making his animation, he'll probably do it within a week too.) Extending the animation just to make it better could be considered cheating. It's also possible he might have plans for even better animations down the line that he wants to get started with sooner. I can't know for sure without asking, but I'm sure he had his reasons.

Jojishi wrote:I wasn't too clear when I said he was overrated. He's not overrated for working quickly, but because of the amount of people that say he's the best animator they've seen. He's good at what he does but he still has quite a bit to go. The same used to go for Terkoiz when people would say he was the best. I always liked his animations but didn't see what was so great about him. Now that he's been animating full-body work I actually feel like he's living up to the hype his audience built for him. This is more of a complaint about the people who watch their work. They shouldn't feel like they have to live up to the hype at all.

Well put. It's been said before, but sometimes the audience is the problem. It can be difficult when people hold you up to an impossibly high standard. However, the constant praise and attention can also be very encouraging and motivating. I'm sure Resh knows he has room to improve. Heck, no matter how many fans told me I was the best Pivot animator in the world back in the day, I always had my eyes set on a higher prize. In the end it was the limitations of Pivot that stopped me, a problem Flash animators like Resh are unlikely to deal with. Either way, I think he's got some pretty amazing skills, especially considering what his animations looked like a year ago. I look forward to seeing what he does next :)
OblivionFallOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby MCToast » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:30 am

Animation wise it was pretty bad, but it looked quite good with the blurs and whatnot. Tweens are cancer, I prefer traditional so nothing fact based.

Also he is 16 and probably has 0 friends, so a week is quite much
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Caleb » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:57 am

He has friends, they're just also professional stickman movers.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby MCToast » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:08 am

Lol bunch of nerds
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

PreviousNext

Return to Pivot Intermediate Area