Mat's Thread: Firecracker inspired

Post your animations here when you advance from Beginner.

Moderator: Rank Team

Cunt

Cunt
14%
Cunt
5%
Steven is addicted to runescape
81%

Total votes : 43

Re: Mat's Thread: Fuck my life

Postby The Specter » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:17 am

Alright, I'm going to try to give you some in-depth CC on this because, honestly, your acrobatics is really the only thing holding you back (aside from the one with the penis which was pretty good).

Okay first of all, on the jump before the first flip, his spacing increases a lot and then pretty much stops. You should really keep the spacing the same throughout the jump, and most of the landing until he blocks. The way he blocks tells you how you should move the stick-man vertically and horizontally. Based on the block the spacing of the flip is pretty good, but because of the buildup that I just described it looks rather choppy and beginner grade.

Next you have the gainer. Executed rather well, I dont know if there was really enough power shown to justify that far of a jump, but that could be debated. The main problem of that flip is that you gave it too many frames at the tail end of it, making it look floaty. And it also makes the next move look just as weak.

Thirdly, you animated a back-handspring. Because of such a slow start because of the gainer that had come before it. Also even if you are spinning backwards, your momentum out of a gainer is still forwards. Which means that if would be really hard to build up that much power to make your handspring that lengthy. (Not to mention, really nobody does a handspring like that anyways).

Finally, the back flip. Poses were fine for the most part but the take off looked not as good. The feet should follow a giant circle motion path around the flip, for at least the first half. The way that it was animated made it look like it was going to be an omega. I know its weird to think about but unless you're kicking your legs out back and forth at the very beginning, they don't go in the direction the stick-figure is going until hes at least half way up. You could probably be fine with just taking that one frame out right after the jump, and making some minor modifications. E: This pretty much what Cressel said

Oh and that reaction to the landing is kinda weird considering everything he just did, and his landing position (which was pretty good). I doubt that someone who was able to pull that off wasn't able to properly land and back flip that wasn't over or under rotated. Not to mention what Stickly said about the poses being a little weird, and not well eased.
The SpecterOffline
Ghostly
Investor

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:25 am

The Specter wrote:Alright, I'm going to try to give you some in-depth CC on this because, honestly, your acrobatics is really the only thing holding you back (aside from the one with the penis which was pretty good).

Okay first of all, on the jump before the first flip, his spacing increases a lot and then pretty much stops. You should really keep the spacing the same throughout the jump, and most of the landing until he blocks. The way he blocks tells you how you should move the stick-man vertically and horizontally. Based on the block the spacing of the flip is pretty good, but because of the buildup that I just described it looks rather choppy and beginner grade.

Next you have the gainer. Executed rather well, I dont know if there was really enough power shown to justify that far of a jump, but that could be debated. The main problem of that flip is that you gave it too many frames at the tail end of it, making it look floaty. And it also makes the next move look just as weak.

Thirdly, you animated a back-handspring. Because of such a slow start because of the gainer that had come before it. Also even if you are spinning backwards, your momentum out of a gainer is still forwards. Which means that if would be really hard to build up that much power to make your handspring that lengthy. (Not to mention, really nobody does a handspring like that anyways).

Finally, the back flip. Poses were fine for the most part but the take off looked not as good. The feet should follow a giant circle motion path around the flip, for at least the first half. The way that it was animated made it look like it was going to be an omega. I know its weird to think about but unless you're kicking your legs out back and forth at the very beginning, they don't go in the direction the stick-figure is going until hes at least half way up. You could probably be fine with just taking that one frame out right after the jump, and making some minor modifications. E: This pretty much what Cressel said

Oh and that reaction to the landing is kinda weird considering everything he just did, and his landing position (which was pretty good). I doubt that someone who was able to pull that off wasn't able to properly land and back flip that wasn't over or under rotated. Not to mention what Stickly said about the poses being a little weird, and not well eased.

I appreciate the time you took to write this, but I don't go back and edit my animations. And I'm not exactly trying to get moved up, I'm already intermediate and don't care too much about getting vets. I also don't really enjoy these acrobatic animations too much anymore, I just do them as filler animations before updating with other stuff due to them being easy to make in a short amount of time. Also, it isn't beginner-ish.

Thanks for the comment anyways.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby The Specter » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:35 am

Mat wrote:I appreciate the time you took to write this, but I don't go back and edit my animations. And I'm not exactly trying to get moved up, I'm already intermediate and don't care too much about getting vets. I also don't really enjoy these acrobatic animations too much anymore, I just do them as filler animations before updating with other stuff due to them being easy to make in a short amount of time. Also, it isn't beginner-ish.

I disagree, I think it could be done better by a beginner. And regardless of it being a filler animation, you should still have it be up to an intermediate standard or just leave it in freestyle if you aren't going to take it seriously.
The SpecterOffline
Ghostly
Investor

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:40 am

The Specter wrote:
Mat wrote:I appreciate the time you took to write this, but I don't go back and edit my animations. And I'm not exactly trying to get moved up, I'm already intermediate and don't care too much about getting vets. I also don't really enjoy these acrobatic animations too much anymore, I just do them as filler animations before updating with other stuff due to them being easy to make in a short amount of time. Also, it isn't beginner-ish.

I disagree, I think it could be done better by a beginner. And regardless of it being a filler animation, you should still have it be up to an intermediate standard or just leave it in freestyle if you aren't going to take it seriously.

If I get moved down I don't really care, but that's not going to happen because there are intermediates that animate worse than this. If I want an animation in my thread I'll put it in my thread. I don't take any animations seriously as of late apart from my DDC12 entry.

edit: As far as beginners being better, I agree that some such as yourself animate tumbling better than I do, and I have tried to get you in the intermediate area, however it just hasn't worked out for some reason.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby The Specter » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:54 am

So then when you say that Rank Standards are fucked are you complaining or are you bragging because you get to animate at a beginner level and no one will do anything because you're rank team?
The SpecterOffline
Ghostly
Investor

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 am

The Specter wrote:So then when you say that Rank Standards are fucked are you complaining or are you bragging because you get to animate at a beginner level and no one will do anything because you're rank team?

Because people like you are in beginners hall, as well as other animators that shouldn't be where they are at. I still animate at an intermediate level.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Re: Mat's Thread: Fuck my life V.2

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 am

Still fuck my life.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Re: Mat's Thread: lololong

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:49 am

You fuck your life very well my friend. Continue to fuck that thing senseless.... Greatjob.
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby Jojishi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:53 am

That was amazing. This is definitely one of my favourite animations from you now.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby The Specter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:34 am

That was amazing. Pulled off very well from start to finish. That back handspring was glorious and that flip out of the kick was pulled of completely perfectly. Easily your best acro animation yet. Sorry again about earlier.
The SpecterOffline
Ghostly
Investor

Postby Cressel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:47 am

That was just amazing. The kick at the end looks off since it looks so effortless, but other than that amazing job man.
CresselOffline
애교!!!
Fanatic

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Found a jump drive with a few of my old animations in case anyone is interested. http://www.mediafire.com/download/q92w7 ... ations.zip
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Re: Mat's Thread: Equilibrium Shit

Postby Mat » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 am

Threading this because I can.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Re: Mat's Thread: Equilibrium Shit

Postby Amir » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:09 am

Wow the 3D flip was very very nice!
I liked it a lot, but after that guy landed that zoom in looks bad I'd remove those last frames of the close up if I were you.
AmirOffline
The Red Boss
The Red Boss

Re: Mat's Thread: Equilibrium News

Postby Mat » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:35 am

Just thought I'd update you all on my plans for this animation. I am currently adding more detail such as basic backgrounds and more figures to this particular scene, once finished with that I will use this scene towards the end of a big animation project that I'm starting. You can expect to see some a lot more action and angles than you would usually see from me. Expect some screenshots as the animation progresses.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Pivot Intermediate Area