LordPivot's Thread - Stalactitious - Fallen

Post your animations here when you advance from Beginner.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: LordPivot's Thread - LordPivot Origins - The Great War

Postby Michi » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:56 am

Well deserved, Lord.
Congratulations.
Spoiler:
Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston - The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
https://vk.com/doc-58650815_254012664?dl=c753708760f72ab566
Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit:
https://vk.com/doc176415392_222242886?hash=5e3a8f0a7cbfa92e91&dl=bc6e3d465d2f9e012c
Spoiler:
12 Principles of Animation summarized
http://vimeo.com/93206523
Aaron Hartline and Victor Navone, animators at Pixar Animation Studios and mentors at Animation Mentor, discuss timing and spacing tips and tricks
http://www.animationmentor.com/resources/webinars/timing-and-spacing/
Pixar's 22 rules to phenomenal storytelling
http://imgur.com/gallery/E8xe0

my thread
MichiOffline
I'm trash

Postby tuna » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:27 am

congrats man :)
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Horsie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:02 am

Very well deserved man, congratz.
HorsieOffline
Fabulous
VIP

Postby .Luke » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:58 am

Congrats dude :D
.LukeOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Nico_G » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:35 am

Congratz dude !!!
the new animation was amazing !
Nico_GOffline
Active
Active

Postby LkPB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:40 am

Awesome animation, man. I liked it a lot.

Congrats, well deserved!
how you going?
Thread / YouTube
Spoiler:
phpBB [video]
LkPBOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Lord » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:29 am

H-yyyyEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Thanks a lot everyone! Really glad you all liked the animation, I never originally intended for it to be so amibtious, I planned to have it done and over with in a day or two!
Thanks again. ;)
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Mori » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Gratz fella, Veteran soon ;)
MoriOffline
PASS PASS PASS
PASS PASS PASS

Postby Anton » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:30 pm

I have to post here
I have to post here right nooooooww.

You deserve so much from keeping on this monumental work.
I hope you can preserve this motivation, even outside of the animation area, througout the rest of your life.

Bravo.
StickMaking | Animations Thread
The switch is now on OFF
AntonOffline
VIP

Postby Juke » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:19 pm

If you work on your movements and poses alot, and get slightly better with backgrounds, veteran is very close.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby Lord » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:40 pm

O.O
Oh.

This is very fast. :) Thanks Juke.
And Anton, thanks very much for the comment, I suppose if you're all getting enjoyment out of it, it's all worth it. After all, that's the goal at the end of the day, right? :)
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby SharpBeast » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Even with all them flaws there it was Hella exciting to watch, and damn I am looking forward to episode 2. There will be episode 2, right? RIGHT? Right? It is seriously a damn fine work.
Now to the part I have to give to ya, the flaws: Water on the beach was too fast, should have eased alot more. Then music, but idk if it was you who added it, but anyways it was kinda silent. Then a little bit of sound issues, like when the Entity grabbed LP ya should have added some sound(weird to see it silent lol). There were also some stiffness problems, but I think you know about them already.
But all of those are pretty small things, that I'm simply reminding you about.

And is it really origins? I mean how did LP get his powers in the first place? Why was LP like all black with them red eyes when everyone else was skin tone? And why did nobody gave a damn that LP is so demonic looking? So many questions, but that proves that I liked it enough to ask you them.

Once again that was some fine ass work. You deserve a Cookie Bag.
Season 2 pls :3
My Thread
I removed your signature because it was too big. You can use the same one, just shrink it or put it in a spoiler.
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Lord » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:57 am

SharpBeast wrote:Even with all them flaws there it was Hella exciting to watch, and damn I am looking forward to episode 2. There will be episode 2, right? RIGHT? Right? It is seriously a damn fine work.
Now to the part I have to give to ya, the flaws: Water on the beach was too fast, should have eased alot more. Then music, but idk if it was you who added it, but anyways it was kinda silent. Then a little bit of sound issues, like when the Entity grabbed LP ya should have added some sound(weird to see it silent lol). There were also some stiffness problems, but I think you know about them already.
But all of those are pretty small things, that I'm simply reminding you about.

And is it really origins? I mean how did LP get his powers in the first place? Why was LP like all black with them red eyes when everyone else was skin tone? And why did nobody gave a damn that LP is so demonic looking? So many questions, but that proves that I liked it enough to ask you them.

Once again that was some fine ass work. You deserve a Cookie Bag.
Season 2 pls :3

Glad you want a second short film. I hope to have more out, if not by Pivot, then by other means. :)
I know there's flaws, and they're probably there because I lacked the will to go back and fix them, but if you watched it like you watch a movie then that's great. :D

Questions are good, they generate hype, ;) ...
Ma' thread
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:50 pm

Congrats, Lord. You deserve it.
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Postby Jojishi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:33 pm

Juke said that I should post what I wrote in your move up thread here, so here it is:

Jojishi wrote:From 4:25 - 5:05 is where most of the action and movements took place I think, so I'll rank mostly based on that.

The first 20 seconds here looks good to me, just barely reaching Intermediate quality. The fighting with the shadows is done well and although the effects are simple they work. The quick movements and poses in 4:28 - 4:30 had power in them, nice strong poses and had interesting choreography although short.

4:48 - 4:58 is by far the best part in the animation. Without a doubt this is Intermediate quality movements. The poses, power, dodging and general fight choreography is great here. The way he animates with limbs "rebounding" gives a sense of momentum even if things stop suddenly in places, which is perfect for power in fight sequences. This scene is a close quarters fight lasting for what must be over 200 frames and it's consistent in quality throughout. This scene looks enough for a move up.

5:00 - 5:01 isn't good. This is where his Intermediate potential looks sketchy. When Lord Pivot hits the ground and rolls back, he stands up sort of bent over at a 45 degree angle "/" and stops rather suddenly in this pose. There needs to be either way more easing, or the character's motion path should arc it's way back forward and maybe he falls over or something.

5:02 - 5:06 has a good fight scene. Things stop a bit too suddenly here in places but it works because it's a fight scene, but only just. Certain movements in here would have looked better with more variation in the spacing though. This is bordering on Intermediate.

There was also a pose where he gets held up.

Either 1 or 2 would have looked acceptable. 1 is okay if Lord Pivot's being grabbed by a hand e.g. the gravity is counteracted by the way the hand is grabbing the ankle. 2 shows the full effects of gravity being exerted. The back definitely shouldn't be arched like that.

Next scene looks pretty good with the flow and physics, but he makes the same mistake with the back when Lord Pivot is grabbed by the throat. The back does look better here though.

So that's the bulk of the animation covered, since most of it was close up scenes with relatively simple movement, however...

6:00 - 6:10 stuck out to me as Intermediate quality and it was very good.

6:35 - 6:45 was also really, really good. The movements, reactions and physics all looked marvelous.

Main thing holding him back is lack of consistently Intermediate full-body movements. However, I know he's capable of this because he demonstrated it a lot more in his Pivot Star Wars - Part 2 video. He's also demonstrated it in his Cookies Combo which I'm just going to put in a spoiler here since his PhotoBucket link is a pain in the ass to view.
Spoiler:

So taking into account his animations as a whole, I'd say he's Low Intermediate in the movement department or bordering on it. The flaws in his most recent animation can be overlooked because of one other thing.

The sheer length. It's a 10 minute animation. In the 10 minute animation he has 57 seconds worth of Intermediate quality and while this isn't much in comparison to the rest of the animation, it's still a lot. The rest of the animation is mostly dialogue and scenes show-casing very basic, linear motion paths without any sort of full-body movement, so he can get a free pass on if only 5-10 seconds worth of full-body movement looks Beginner. tldr; the full-body movement he has at Intermediate quality is 57 seconds, with roughly 10 seconds (I think) full-body movement being of a Beginner standard.

Main things which sets this above other animations on the site is the story, cinematography and length. The story itself is fairly interesting, but also nothing that's never been seen before with the good vs evil trope. It's the way it's told through his comprehensive knowledge of visual language which sells the story and captivates the viewer. He must have story-boarded out the entire animation because it was just done very, very well. It's long for a Pivot animation as well which is an achievement in it's own right, but he also kept it entertaining through-out for the most part.

It did drag out slightly in places and it would have been nicer to see more action and complex movement, but it was pretty good still.

He also put in a lot of effort into this which I think should be factored in. He has shown that he can see a project through to the end, which almost no one can do. He should be commended for that effort with a move up I think.

Overall his movements are on the low end of Intermediate, sometimes bordering. His previous animations show Intermediate skill in movements. His cinematography, stories and general effort into the animation put him a level above near enough everyone on the site so factoring in these things he sits quite comfortably at a slightly higher than Lower Intermediate level. Maybe not quite Medium Intermediate, but somewhere between the low-mid scale in the Intermediate section.

Yes from me but just barely I think. Still only about 75% sure on my yes vote but I think he deserves it.

Edit: Oh what do you know. That's a 6th yes vote for him so I guess my vote's just a bonus for him. I'll move him up now.

Basically, while I thought you deserved the move-up your movements are sketchy some of the time. I'd like to see more movements in your animations with better physics and more gradual easing for movements other than attacks. Variate your spacing more and have more full-body movement. There's some other things as well that I've mentioned and I think this is the best advice I can give.
JojishiOffline
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Pivot Intermediate Area