TBM's Thread

Post your animations here when you advance from Beginner.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: TBM's Thread *Unfinished DBZ*

Postby The Black Mamba » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks man, I'm glad you see it too.

@Chaotic - I know man, couldn't finish.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Jojishi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Firstly, I want to congratulate you on staying with a project for as long as you did. As you know it's hard to keep the quality consistent through-out with long projects, but I personally feel that you did a good job for the most part.

The opening scene with the Babidi full-body animation and the background was nice. You used colour and tone effectively here. It was mostly good to see some back-story to the animation though. Instead of just a random fight starting off, there's a reason for it to happen.

There were parts in the animation where your spacing style worked extremely well. The scene where Goku pushes himself from the rock and then flies off is a good example of your spacing complementing the movement. Goku's movement flows smoothly and also has a sense of subtlety to it. The bits of rock breaking off here look amazing by the way.

Other examples of your spacing working well are when the characters are recovering from an attack or changing direction in their flight path. Vegeta is smashed into the ground in one moment, but recovers and then flies off. Following this moment, he also anticipates and then executes a faster flight upwards. Your spacing works particularly well here because it's light in the sense that it can change direction easily. It flows well and this compliments the physics of flight a lot.

To sum up the positive notes about your spacing: It provides a lot of freedom with the fluidity of your style and conveys subtlety and particular physics very well.

The thing you need to work on (which has been pointed out before) is your power. Now, the hard thing with this is that the style you have caters to fluid motion. It's very distinguished from anything else on the site so don't change anything about this. However, when it comes to the attack moves your poses could use a little work. Lots of power comes from how dynamic a pose looks, but this was covered in a freestyle thread of yours so I won't ramble on about this. Change of direction in your spacing plays a role in power. Lots of this is displayed through the anticipation before the execution.

In one particular part there wasn't much power in Goku's punch. At frame 432 Goku continued leaning forward, raising his arm and then punching out. However, if you showed anticipation before hand it would look much more powerful. I've made an example to show you how much anticipation (and change in direction) contributes to power. The first part is yours, the second part is mine with the anticipation added in.

PIV

If you study Senzo's tutorial as well, he explains how a longer moment of anticipation makes the movement even more powerful. A slower spacing for the anticipation, with maybe only 3-4 frames of forward momentum for the attack will make it look powerful because of a contrast in spacing (slower spacing, to a really fast one).

When you combine more dynamic poses with more anticipation and change of direction your attack moves in particular will look more powerful. I did notice parts where you animated attack moves well! Some parts showed a drawn out attack pose which helped it look powerful. And other scenes did show some anticipation, I just thought the one scene with the punch was a perfect example to pick apart. :P

Apart from the attack moves not feeling as powerful as they could, I really enjoyed this animation. You animated the effects fairly well (the electricity was nice) and I liked the scene where Goku flew towards the camera. The transparency was used nicely with the dust effects. It's great to see a long, entertaining animation from an Intermediate. Your style is nice, so don't change the spacing or fluidity in anything else as it makes your style distinguished and works well with certain movements or physics. Just tweak the attack moves a little. You're getting close to Veteran in my honest opinion. This DBZ animation on the higher range of Intermediate, no doubt. I hope my comment helps and I'll also be keeping an eye on your thread (as I have for the past few months).
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Jojishi, your posts are so long, and full of good stuff too! Nice man!
Geometry Dash
ChrisOffline
Chris
Chris

Postby The Black Mamba » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Thank you very much Joji, this helped big time. I'll be sure to keep what you said in mind when animating future projects.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Echo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 pm

I was never a fan of DBZ... but dude that looks sick :D Also what's with the weird uni-brow on San Gukou (I think it's his name) ?

Lithium wrote:Enjoyed that, how about making one with a huge boulder chasing a dude. I reckon you'd be really good at something like that. (thumbsup (thumbsup
EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Postby Anton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 pm

It's a 'M' mark on Vegeta's forehead. Means more power for him, but he can get controlled by the evil Badibi.
StickMaking | Animations Thread
The switch is now on OFF
AntonOffline
VIP

Postby Echo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Anton wrote:It's a 'M' mark on Vegeta's forehead. Means more power for him, but he can get controlled by the evil Badibi.

Heh thanks for the explanation :)

Lithium wrote:Enjoyed that, how about making one with a huge boulder chasing a dude. I reckon you'd be really good at something like that. (thumbsup (thumbsup
EchoOffline
I used to be better
I used to be better

Postby The Black Mamba » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:25 pm

You obviously don't watch DBZ lol, thanks for the comments guys.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby XElite109 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:35 pm

The Black Mamba wrote:You obviously don't watch DBZ lol, thanks for the comments guys.

I do watched it all me life.....
Anyhow great animation dude love how detailed everything was man from babidi putting the majin mark to vegeta going to that other dimension or something that was cool man great job
XElite109Offline
VIP
VIP

Postby Clauraz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:28 am

Maan if you become a veteran before I get intermediate... that will be crazy! I think we've been animating around the same amount of time although on an off.
ClaurazOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby The Black Mamba » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:56 am

True lol, you're my longest known animation buddy <3
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Clauraz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:13 am

Same goes for me, all the rest stopped animating or stopped talking. Glad you're still going bro <3
ClaurazOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Swaikha » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:13 am

Please keep making basketball animations.

I've never seen anybody else do a basketball animation at your skill level, and quite frankly, it's very entertaining to watch.
^click for animation thread^ :)
SwaikhaOffline
Active
Active

Postby The Black Mamba » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks man, I have to think of new moves to do though, that could be done in pivot of course. That's why I rarely release anything basketball related.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Hey man, love your animations. Thnx for posting the pivs too so that the wannabes like me can study up : P

Courtesy?
My Thread
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

PreviousNext

Return to Pivot Intermediate Area