Specter :: Something New

Post your animations here when you advance from Beginner.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: Specter :: Something New

Postby Jojishi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:15 pm

You need to work on your spacing a lot. I get the sense that you just don't know how to balance between the flow and easing appropriately. Lots of times you bring something to a complete stop when some sense of momentum needs to keep flowing through. Sometimes you don't show slower spacing when it would be more appropriate. Things slow down and speed up very suddenly in areas.

I also noticed that your spacing isn't consistent in areas. In the Floor animation when the stick-figure gets up from the landing, there's one frame where there's a massive difference in the spacing, then in the next it is a lot smaller. Make sure you check through the frames that the spacing is consistent or it will make the animation appear choppy and/or shaky.

This move up was too sudden and pre-mature. I can see why people would think you're Intermediate, but you haven't demonstrated that you know how to space effectively. You've only demonstrated that you can animate acrobatics at this point, and even with that I feel like you need to practice your landings a lot.

I'm sorry this comment is so harsh. I think you're a good animator, but that you still need to iron out the kinks in your spacing and try branching out a little from acrobatics. I think you're going to have a hard time as an Intermediate when your knowledge is still small and can only animate certain things. That said, I still really like your animations and think the newest is nice (it showed a good landing) but I don't agree with your move up is all.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby socks » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:08 am

Jojishi wrote:but I don't agree with your move up is all.

I'm sorry to say this, but i think you're wrong on this one Joji.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby Mitch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:27 am

Jojishi wrote:You need to work on your spacing a lot. I get the sense that you just don't know how to balance between the flow and easing appropriately. Lots of times you bring something to a complete stop when some sense of momentum needs to keep flowing through. Sometimes you don't show slower spacing when it would be more appropriate. Things slow down and speed up very suddenly in areas.

I also noticed that your spacing isn't consistent in areas. In the Floor animation when the stick-figure gets up from the landing, there's one frame where there's a massive difference in the spacing, then in the next it is a lot smaller. Make sure you check through the frames that the spacing is consistent or it will make the animation appear choppy and/or shaky.

His spacing is as consistent as it needs to be to stay flowy. Do you really think someone is gonna get up as fast as they fell? Don't drill over-consistency into the guy or shit is gonna end up looking real boring.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Caleb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 am

So you've improved quite a bit in the last couple weeks, kudos on that. I just hope you'll pull something creative sometime soon and surprise us all that you're not animating acrobatics, or perhaps use those acrobatics to get creative.

Your animations are of intermediate quality, but they're not unique at all. Work on that a bit and I'll probably enjoy your stuff a lot more. Sorry if that's harsh, but it's just how I feel about this thread.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Raymond » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:19 am

Mitch wrote:
Jojishi wrote:You need to work on your spacing a lot. I get the sense that you just don't know how to balance between the flow and easing appropriately. Lots of times you bring something to a complete stop when some sense of momentum needs to keep flowing through. Sometimes you don't show slower spacing when it would be more appropriate. Things slow down and speed up very suddenly in areas.

His spacing is as consistent as it needs to be to stay flowy. Do you really think someone is gonna get up as fast as they fell? Don't drill over-consistency into the guy or shit is gonna end up looking real boring.

I'm not sure why being overly consistent is a problem? There's nothing wrong with that and I doubt it would make his animations boring. If anything it would make them look better. And yes he is inconsistent with his spacing at times. It's not extremely noticeable, because he doesn't do it often, just on occasion which he even told me he has trouble with. When he moves the back first, it usually looks like the elbow/arm joints were already moved that frame, so he tends to skip over them forgetting he did not move them that frame. (His words) But after looking at one of his piv files he sent me, that is the case. I noticed that he moves nodes in one frame, doesn't move them in the next, then continues to move them in the following frame, which makes the movement look sort of choppy at times and not as smooth as it could be.

The main thing he needs to work on is going back through his animations and making sure the spacing is even throughout the animation. Personally I feel like Jojishi is being over-critical, but I like that. He's pointing out what he thinks is a flaw to help Specter improve. However Specter does deserve intermediate imo.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Mitch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:32 am

Yeah I understand how choppiness works and the such, what i'm saying is I can't find an example of it in his latest work besides the last few steps after the combo. But that would be a nitpick at best as opposed to something i'de choose to bother CCing, and i'm pretty tight-assed when it comes to little shit as well.

The reason over consistency in spacing is bad is because you won't be able to show power without creating deviations in your spacing, likewise poses take priority over spacing and certain poses wont work and be fluid at a higher spacing. Like I said before you won't be able to animate somebody getting up as fast as you animated them falling down because the poses are too intricate to get done that fast.

Honestly I feel like Jojishi was just salty about the move up for whatever reason.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Raymond » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 am

Mitch wrote:Honestly I feel like Jojishi was just salty about the move up for whatever reason.

Which he has a right to be, it's his opinion, like your giving me yours now. I agree with your opinion if he was trying to show power, but he wasn't. His spacing shouldn't be drastically changing from one frame to the next during a walk cycle. Your right though, it only occurs at the end during the last few steps, which is what I was trying to help him with last night.

Although to me that indicates a problem. He can consistently animate acrobatics without any issues (I really do enjoy his acrobatics), but when it comes to walks or runs, his poses and spacing could be slightly better. Which shows a consistency problem when animating other things besides acrobatics. And that is what Jojishi is getting at and it shouldn't be overlooked. He's intermediate now, so there's no point in dwelling on it. It's just something he should work on is all. Sorry if it sounds like I'm arguing with you Mitch, but as much as I think he deserved this move up, Specter shouldn't overlook the small flaws he does have.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Mitch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 am

Raymond wrote:I agree with your opinion if he was trying to show power, but he wasn't. His spacing shouldn't be drastically changing from one frame to the next during a walk cycle. Your right though, it only occurs at the end during the last few steps, which is what I was trying to help him with last night.

Yeeeeah bud, I obviously wasn't talking about the walk cycle because until now the walk cycle was never addressed specifically.

I mean i'm not saying to just overlook specters problems, what i'm saying is something that is such a minor issue shouldn't really need to be addressed with a wall of blatantly passive aggressive criticism because it's not nearly proportionate to the problem. I mean, are we really gonna start comparing the guy to fucking Wray or something? Sure he throws in a gimmicky unnecessary flip a little too often but at least he's doing something a little more interesting with it.
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Raymond » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 am

Mitch wrote:Yeeeeah bud, I obviously wasn't talking about the walk cycle because until now the walk cycle was never addressed specifically.

Is that right? What is this then?
Mitch wrote:Yeah I understand how choppiness works and the such, what i'm saying is I can't find an example of it in his latest work besides the last few steps after the combo.

Also sorry for flooding your thread Specter. I think I've giving you my full opinion on your move up so I'll stop here.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Mitch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 am

Mitch wrote:Yeah I understand how choppiness works and the such, what i'm saying is I can't find an example of it in his latest work besides the last few steps after the combo.

Yeah me being the one to address it give's me a real solid idea of what you're talking about there man. I even said that I was looking for other examples, because I didn't think it was possible that they actually collectively posted a 6 paragraph set of comments about a fucking step holy shit.
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Raymond » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 am

Mitch wrote:

Yeah me being the one to address it give's me a real solid idea of what you're talking about there man. I even said that I was looking for other examples, because I didn't think it was possible that they actually collectively posted a 6 paragraph set of comments about a fucking step holy shit.

Sorry man, I forgot it was a crime to type out detailed explanations. You'll have to forgive me.

Also I apologize again for spamming your thread Specter. Enjoy your stay in the intermediate section. :D
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Mitch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:13 am

Raymond wrote:Sorry man, I forgot it was a crime to type out detailed explanations. You'll have to forgive me.

For fuck's sake.
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Yogurt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:15 pm

yo niggas its the little inconsistencies that give an animation character and honestly if your spacing was too consistent, the movements just look boring
"And she walked in a third time and she was just fingering his ass shes such a fucking genki girl."
-Mitch
YogurtOffline
reitred staff
reitred staff

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Jojishi wrote:but I don't agree with your move up is all.

Okay, you have higher standards to meet... oh wait what's this I just found?
Jojishi on 7th Day's thread wrote:This was a really well deserved move up. Everything on your thread looks Intermediate to me.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Gary » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm going to completely ignore the discussion here and say, Congrats Spectre!
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

PreviousNext

Return to Pivot Intermediate Area