I'm new and I've got some problems

Make yourself known here!

I'm new and I've got some problems

Postby Kerchu » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Well I'm not entirely new to Pivot, I've been casually using it from time to time in the past 5 years. I'm totally new on this site and forums in general. The only reason I came here is because I'd hoped people here could help me with a problem I could not find the solution for anywhere else. I don't really know where else to go.

I recently got pivot 4 while previously having used pivot 2.2. I got it from the site and I think it gave me a virus, but so far that hasn't been a problem.

Anyway, so I saved my animation, and I exported it as a GIF after that. But when I go to the folder I made and saved the animations in, I can't find the folder. And when I save it somewhere else within the Pivot Animator folder I can't find it when I go there, except when I open or save something within Pivot itself. I don't know if it's important but I have 2 Pivot Animator folders, one of which is in Program Files (x86) as standard, and the other in My Documents for easy acces. In neither of them can I find ANY of the animations I saved. But in the Pivot Animator folder within My Documents, I can find all of the stick figures I made and the folders that they're in.

So I exported the animation to another place outside of the Pivot Animator folder (desktop) and that way I have access to it outside of Pivot.

I hope somebody can help me. I really want to do more with Pivot but all this stuff is very tideous. Thank you in advance.
KerchuOffline

Re: I'm new and I've got some problems

Postby Ussay » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:52 am

Welcome to the forums, bro, I was just about to tell you to try saving it on your desktop, but seems you already did, I don't know, you could try just dragging it from there to the desired folder? or maybe make sure you're going to check in the right folder.
Well, I've never had a problem like that so I'm not sure, hope you get it solved. (:
UssayOffline
Rank Team
Rank Team

Postby Four » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:55 am

Welcome to the forums new neighbor.
ok
FourOffline
VIP

Postby Coweetie » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am

I can only guess, but maybe you have looked into the wrong documents folder,maybe. For example, I have one documents folders for my own user, and one on another user. the path therefore is like C/Users/coweetie/documents and the other C/Users/Nick/documents.
check where you are saving your files again, look up the path before saving.

another thing could be that you are saving it in /program files(x86) but when browsing for it, you're taking the /program files folder. (without the x86 at the end) it's just a guess
.....deviantart....3Dstuff.....freestyle.....pivot.....
Spoiler:

Life is a matter of opinion
CoweetieOffline
that orange dude
VIP

Postby Kerchu » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

But litterally seconds after starting this topic my laptop got all crashy, lost everything. So now several life years are in the garbage, I'll get to the point.
I got pivot 4 from the official site, a link which I got throught Wikipedia, and I think it gave me a virus by downloading it from there, which may or may not have resulted in my laptop going blue screen.

I obviously don't want that to happen again, so does anyone know a site where I can download Pivot 4 from that is 100% guaranteed safe? After that I can only try your attemps at helping.
KerchuOffline

Postby Jojishi » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:04 am

Unfortunately the installer for Pivot comes with bloatware that will install itself onto your computer even if you check/uncheck the correct boxes. This was my experience since I got an adware called JungleNet popping up on my internet browser, which I promptly removed.

One thing I have to ask is if you tried removing the malware? It should be totally harmless adware/marketing type junk that can be removed with anti-virus or if it comes to it, booting the computer in safe mode with a program like MalwareBytes. I wouldn't think the virus would give you a BSOD, so what was it exactly? Do you know what the virus is? Are you sure it was a virus and how long have you had your laptop for? It could be a hardware issue if it gave the BSOD.

To answer your last question, the problem is not the site but the Pivot 4 installer itself. It doesn't matter what site you download it from since they all come with the same installer. This is an issue that has been raised with Peter and we've made it known we aren't happy with his choice but thankfully he'll be using a different installer in the near future which hopefully doesn't come with bloatware.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Raymond » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Personally I have never had a problem downloading Pivot. There is some extra software that I had to decline while walking through the installer, but afterwards I successfully installed Pivot 4 and it didn't give me a virus. But I also use security programs. Even a free security program that gives you basic protection like Malewarebytes or AVG would be sufficient enough at catching whatever malicious content that gets downloaded when running the Pivot 4 installer.

Just read EVERYTHING after opening the installer. If it sounds like it's offering you extra software, then click "Decline". You will have to click either "Accept" or "I Agree" on one of the choices (Pivot 4's License Agreement). But if you are that worried about getting a virus, then just make sure you have a basic security program, it can be free. And make sure you read EVERYTHING when opening the installer.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Kerchu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. When I first downloaded it I did do a security scan with windows protector, because it gave me a security warning. It gave me a warning several days later, just before my laptop crashed, so it seems whatever security problem the installer gave me didn't go away with a single scan.
As for the BSOD, I said the crap the installer gave me made my laptop crash, I recall pressing the power button, which is probably what gave me the BSOD, so it's likely my fault, although I never had ANY problems before when shutting the computer of with the power button, not that I did it regularly.

When waiting for my previous post to be accepted, I tried to download pivot again, with windows defender ready to go, and it once again gave me security warnings, so I stopped the download and did a full scan, haven't had any problems with it.

I wouldn't download something unless I uncheck or decline when it says something about extra stuff, or ad stuff, but it won't surprise you that I never read those long pieces of text.
And I don't like the idea of downloading something and consiousely knowing it's going to give me crap. I'd really love to animate, and I might try downloading it, getting rid of the crap, and hope it's not going to be a problem again, but I'd really prefer if Mr. Bone fixed the installer up a bit.
KerchuOffline

Postby Kerchu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:58 am

Well I've downloaded it, declined the ad offers, scanned my computer.... no problems so far. So that's taken care of.
But now I've got the same problem I had in the beginning. I can't acces the files I saved within pivot unless I'm within pivot. I can get around this by saving things on my desktop and moving them to the preferred location in the pivot animator folder, so it's not impossible, but really fcking inconvenient. When I move something in the pivot animator folder it gives me a warning that I need to be administrator or something, but still moves the files and stuff.
I hope some of you can help me. Thank you in advance.
KerchuOffline

Postby Jack » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:18 pm

I save most of my animations to the 'Documents' folder. It's a lot more convenient than 'Desktop'.
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Return to Entrance Hall