The Problem with DDCs

Talk about animation, post .stks and resources here.

Moderator: Rank Team

Re: The Problem with DDCs

Postby Marvilicious » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:45 pm

AbsolutelyCheese wrote:
Marvilicious wrote:
*big ass emote*

but seriously who uses smilies at normal size anymore

I do. (scool
MarviliciousOffline
Lurking cunt
VIP

Postby Peebles » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:39 pm

Yogurt wrote:
LordPivot wrote:
Peebles wrote:motivation is definitely what people lack.

Yeah, I think you're right, but what can we do about it? (hmmm

if you willingly enter the collab and fail to make an entry by the due date you get a week ban

that would legitimately motivate people i think.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Skype » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:42 pm

The DDC11 was the one that killed my faith in the longevity of pivot and darkdemon. Trying to organise probably the least motivated and poorly focused animators was like walking over a sea of fucking lego. Come the deadline I had maybe 10 submissions.

The truth is that the new breed of animators are lazy and unmotivated. I guess I'm just an old fag but there was a feeling of much greater atmosphere, excitement and interest back in 05-06. I remember I used to go to the local library to use the internet and upload my animations. It was fucking thrilling. The animations were interesting and frequently high quality- not because they had perfect 'movements' or spacing or whatever the fuck everyone is so anal about now. They were captivating and you could see that effort was put in. Fuck you and your "failed 1.3 second single black stick punch combo freestyle".

Kids these days (can't believe I'm already saying this) are too busy doing other things and not interested in supporting pivot. Which is sad- and don't get me wrong, I still think pivot is a great program. People just aren't doing anything amazing any more.

Saying that, I am out of touch with Shiniu(?), which I believe has the stronger community out of the pivot forums these days. I have nothing to back that up with but the few times I looked it seemed that way. Does anyone know if good shit is happening over there?
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby Mat » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Skype wrote:Saying that, I am out of touch with Shiniu(?), which I believe has the stronger community out of the pivot forums these days. I have nothing to back that up with but the few times I looked it seemed that way. Does anyone know if good shit is happening over there?

Not much in terms of animation tbh.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Peebles » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:49 pm

I have to agree with ol Skype here. even when i first joined (mid 2008) people were fucking hyped about animations. but maybe because shit was still new. but you'd think with all the new features pivot 4 has, people would make something new.

people focus on ranks too much also. just make an entertaining and exciting animation. get hyped about making something that you have an idea of. dont rip your hair out over foot placement and easing.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Lithium » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Skype wrote:The animations were interesting and frequently high quality- not because they had perfect 'movements' or spacing or whatever the fuck everyone is so anal about now. They were captivating and you could see that effort was put in. Fuck you and your "failed 1.3 second single black stick punch combo freestyle".

So much this. Pivot is dying. No one wants to admit it but just looking at sites like this which used to be thriving is evidence of it. All these competitions/collabs have been so poor for a good couple of years now. It's almost a set expectation that we are going to get endless amounts of extensions, endless amount of time and excuses and endless amount of near failure. It's been this way for so long. No one can just see a pivot collab these days and be motivated enough to even try, let alone reach the due date. Yes they happen eventually, and the quality of animation today is totally amazing, but it takes like what... 2-3 years to finish any sort of organizational comp?

Also on point of the quality thing; why is pivot so complex and theoretical nowdays? I swear people have a hard-on for giving complete over-the-top constructive criticism/gaining a staff position/trying to win acceptance+reputation from eachother with your posts, yet not even animating. Also fuck styles, just animate some badass shit. Have fun with it and do some good old fashioned classic darkdemon magic.
It's not about how much CC you can feed into eachothers crappy movement tests. It's about actually lifting a finger and animating something incredible and having the drive to be a pivot legend.

I'd rather be known 'as that guy who made awesome pivot animations' as opposed to 'That elite administrator who has perfect movements and who everyone sucks up to but makes boring ass animations and never made anything awesome"
Amen brothers.
LithiumOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Lord » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:40 am

Convenient that I have exactly this written in my signature but on only 2 lines. :)
This is advice for everyone, regardless of what rank you are now. Try mash-ups if you struggle to think of something fun to animate.
That's what I do at least.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Rashboo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:10 pm

I think that I need perfect movements & effects to make an awesome animation, ever since 2007. :L
RashbooOffline
Hello
Hello

Postby Juke » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:13 pm

It's the same with pretty much everything these days. Pivot is lacking because people are focusing too much on the quality rather than entertainment. Most people would rather have a 30 frame perfect movement test than an epic 400 framed animation animated ok..
Things are becoming obsessively complicated and complex, like everything else. People are focusing on the graphics of a lot of games rather than the actual gameplay, this is just an example.
As life goes on and technology gets better, expectation and standards are getting higher for EVERYTHING, making things a lot more tedious to do..
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby MCToast » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:05 pm

I was animating semi actively after my BC3, but everyone told me my movements were low beg shit and I should be moved down and stop animating them, and so I did. :/ (Fuck you people)

Pivot isn't dying... Why a person who downloads pivot would expect there's a forum for it, and if he does it for fun, why would he want to join a serious community? Normal people don't use forums.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Stickid » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:52 pm

MCToast wrote:Why a person who downloads pivot would expect there's a forum for it, and if he does it for fun, why would he want to join a serious community? Normal people don't use forums.

love this statement, you nailed it
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Lord » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:54 pm

MCToast wrote: Normal people don't use forums.

Yeah, nobody here's normal. :)
*cough* Gary *cough*
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Rashboo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:06 pm

If Pivot isn't dying, then what is?
RashbooOffline
Hello
Hello

Postby Mat » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Me, from lung cancer.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Skype » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Rashboo wrote:If Pivot isn't dying, then what is?

This pocket of the pivot community.
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Animation Chat / Resources