The Problem with DDCs

Talk about animation, post .stks and resources here.

Moderator: Rank Team

The Problem with DDCs

Postby qbeef » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:35 pm

I feel like the schedule isn't working in favor of the medium. I always see the post that says "I feel like it's time we should start up another DDC" like if it was an event similar to name changes, or something big on the forum. This doesn't work because of the time needed to make an animation up to today's standard, and keep the quality consistently getting better from DDC to DDC.

I propose a system that animation studios (that release consistent films) use. 1 Year deadlines/animation periods. Sound crazy, but think about it. If we take a year of accepting submissions it gives members plenty of time to get something done, instead of a sudden surprise DDC where it may not be the best timing. When it's done and begins being flashed, start the next year. A system like this lets the flasher have time to work on/release the previous DDC (while the next one is being produced) and allows for more consistent collab releases.

The 1 year can be sized down/made longer, but I feel starting each DDC back-to-back will work out better than randomly deciding when one should begin.

Any thoughts? Criticisms?
qbeefOffline
⦿
⦿

Re: The Problem with DDCs

Postby Mat » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:40 pm

This sounds like it could work in the forums favor.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Gary » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:55 pm

I agree with this idea. It'd give me more time and motivation to make something.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Stickid » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:19 pm

community involvement has been too inconsistent to propose any legitimate long-term plan. successful collabs are not about deadlines, they're about motivation. the ddc11 was only a success because everybody got motivated after it was going to fail

your "problem with the ddc's" has the wrong foundation. this idea might be something to consider for the future but remember it hasn't been implemented already these past 7+ years because the community is just too unstable

really, i do like the idea of an annual ddc but if it wasn't possible at the peak of pivot's popularity it won't be possible now
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby thebiscotticakeman » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:50 pm

this plan could work but no way now we need a lot more propaganda and pivot popularity to pull this of

not unless some random animator changes the meaning of pivot this aint gonna work
thebiscotticakemanOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby Shad Shadson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:08 pm

Stickid wrote:community involvement has been too inconsistent to propose any legitimate long-term plan. successful collabs are not about deadlines, they're about motivation. the ddc11 was only a success because everybody got motivated after it was going to fail

your "problem with the ddc's" has the wrong foundation. this idea might be something to consider for the future but remember it hasn't been implemented already these past 7+ years because the community is just too unstable

really, i do like the idea of an annual ddc but if it wasn't possible at the peak of pivot's popularity it won't be possible now

urite

But seriously, people forget that DDC11 was just as bad deadline-wise. You people act as if every DDC has been an astonishing success yay no extensions type of thing. Skype DROPPED THE FUCKING THING, and Stickid picked it up from it's grave. DDC10 took A YEAR AND A HALF to come out after flashing problems (iirc). A cursory look at the announcements on Animator.net can confirm this for you if you really wanna check. And that was probably the middle/end of the 'peak' of DD (if you really wanna fucking call it that). Not to mention the community (kind of) separated into artangle and TDD (I mean people can go on both forums but some people only go on one/go on one more then the other so) and we've had to deal with all these changes and moving around. There's so much working AGAINST the DDC it's not even funny.

This idea isn't going to work. Why are you people surprised and angry that DDC12 isn't gaining the ground you expected it to (which in my opinion was kind of high considering everything that's happened)? I honestly can't say I'm surprised and I knew it was gonna happen eventually; hell, I thought it was gonna happen by DDC10.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Juke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:22 am

Even if we did this it would be the same, the deadline comes, people need extensions. If people can't make an animation in 8 months then there's no point.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby Caleb » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:59 am

Yeah the deadline or time people have isn't really the problem here, it's the fact that the community is filled with lazy cunts, myself included, that don't feel like making an animation that requires that much effort and even if they do they'll mostly fail it halfway if even that.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Peebles » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:25 pm

im gonna have to agree with shad and stickid here. a lot of people who animate need that motivation. and everybody and their mother procrastinates like hell. given a year deadline, people won't actually start it until there's a solid 2-3 months left. now obviously i havent been involved in the animation community in years but if it's at all like it was a couple years ago, then motivation is definitely what people lack.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Lord » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Peebles wrote:motivation is definitely what people lack.

Yeah, I think you're right, but what can we do about it? (hmmm
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Yogurt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:33 pm

LordPivot wrote:

if you willingly enter the collab and fail to make an entry by the due date you get a week ban

"And she walked in a third time and she was just fingering his ass shes such a fucking genki girl."
-Mitch
YogurtOffline
reitred staff
reitred staff

Postby Stickid » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:36 pm

StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Cheese » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Yogurt wrote:
LordPivot wrote:

if you willingly enter the collab and fail to make an entry by the due date you get a week ban

maybe i shouldnt strive for interz by next DDC
CheeseOffline
i'm nicole now
VIP

Postby Marvilicious » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Yogurt wrote:
LordPivot wrote:

Sounds fucking great.
MarviliciousOffline
Lurking cunt
VIP

Postby Cheese » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Marvilicious wrote:
*big ass emote*

but seriously who uses smilies at normal size anymore
CheeseOffline
i'm nicole now
VIP