Is "Cheating" on Segment Length Bad?

Talk about animation, post .stks and resources here.

Moderator: Rank Team

Is "Cheating" on Segment Length Bad?

Postby Franklin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:47 pm

I think it is an important and interesting question whether using control to re-size segments a few pixels, most commonly for foot placement, a bad thing to do? It obviously takes away from the realism of your animation, but how much? Though it might be the obvious answer to simply not do it in order to learn how to animate better and not "cheat", it is important to realize that flash animators, especially those using the brush tool, do it constantly and unavoidably, and their animations still look fine. Besides, it is just plain convenient sometimes when your foot is one pixel off the ground and you need it to stay flat. So how important is it, in your opinion, to keep your segments the same length? (when you are not executing 3D movements)

Here is a very basic example of what I mean:
Spoiler:
I would not have been able to keep both feet on the ground without stretching the back leg, and yet it feels like doing so takes away a bit of realism.
Last edited by Franklin on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FranklinOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Is "Cheating" on Segment Length Bad?

Postby Gary » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:11 pm

I don't believe it's cheating at all. If you need to stretch a node to make something look good, go ahead and do it.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Daniël » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:15 pm

If 3D movement stretches from a set point of view as well, why shouldn't the same be allowed with animation. Besides that, it makes animation look better without any significant downfall, when executed well, so no, I don't think stretching limbs are a bad thing.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Franklin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:15 pm

The main thing to me is that your bones don't stretch at all in real life and therefore logically it must be taking away from the level of realism of the animation in some way.
FranklinOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Anton » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:48 pm

it is important to realize that flash animators, especially those using the brush tool, do [resizes] constantly and unavoidably, and their animations still look fine.
It is the science of exaggeration. Makes it easy to follow on the eye when well used.
StickMaking | Animations Thread
The switch is now on OFF
AntonOffline
VIP

Postby Mitch » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:54 pm

Root wrote:The main thing to me is that your bones don't stretch at all in real life and therefore logically it must be taking away from the level of realism of the animation in some way.

If you're animating for realism it's your animation that is supposed to resemble real life, not the actual animating process. So in the case of realism the stretch tool would be used to simulate 3D, not literal stretching bones.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Franklin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:41 pm

Here is a very basic example of what I mean:
I would not have been able to keep both feet on the ground without stretching the back leg, and yet it feels like doing so takes away a bit of realism.
FranklinOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mitch » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Ah I get you bud.

Yeah I definitely think it could break the realism of an animation depending on what extent the technique is utilized, if you're stretching the joint like a pixel then it's not gonna do anything but I can see it becoming a problem if one leg is a third longer than the other or some shit. I wouldn't really consider it bad or "cheating" though, because animation as a thing is pretty subjective. Producing something that just looks good comes before producing something realistic, so honestly in the case of pivot I say more power to anyone just utilizing the tools given to them, p much what Gary said.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:56 am

I don't think its cheating but I do think it takes away some realism at times. A way to avoid stretching is to use more realistic poses. Like this stance for example, maybe put his legs closer together, or make him sway less so that his feet are on the ground and no or at least little stretching is done.
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby Lionheart » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:36 am

With animation things could be realistic or they could be over-exaggerated & cartoony, or anything in-between. If you're going for realism you'll want to focus more on poses (as was mentioned before), but stretching a limb a tiny bit here and there won't hurt. However, stretching could add quite a bit of flair to your movements, depending on your animation style.

Steam: l3g3nd4ryli0n
YEAH, MIGHT AS WELL COPY & PASTE THAT.
LionheartOffline
Old Bastard
Retired

Postby Coweetie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:42 am

Stickman don't have hips. if you want to show the idea of an hip, it is pretty use´ful to stretch the legs a little. also it is useful for tiny corrections.
I don't see why this should be considered as cheating. Because it was not in the old versions? People therefore edited the segment in the editor to shorten it.
I think it's just important that the result is fine, not how exactly you made the animation.
.....deviantart....3Dstuff.....freestyle.....pivot.....
Spoiler:

Life is a matter of opinion
CoweetieOffline
that orange dude
VIP

Postby tuna » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:28 am

i would lift his foot slightly off the floor instead, but yeah, if you want to keep the foot in the floor, thats fine, just stretch it.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby SIFTER » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:33 am

I often tend to stretch the legs if I think that the foot still has to be attached to the floor for a frame or two. I also use the stretch tool for 3D. Using extra stick for 3D(not MCToast 3D) in Pivot 4 would be just stupid. In addition, it can be quite useful for ropes and many many other stuff. It's a feature. Why not utilize it when it's always there for you to use it? Same goes for the sprite tool. If you don't want to use the stretch tool just to showoff your skills, then all you'd be doing is making unnecessary efforts. You just have to know exactly when and where to use it.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby Juke » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:47 am

Look up the term squash and stretch, it's a basic technique animators use all of the time, even by Disney and Dreamworks.
What I'm saying is, squash and stretch isn't based on realism, it's based on how it looks to the viewer. If it looks better, then do it.
Everything isn't about realism, sometimes too much realism ruins an animation. What you are trying to do is portray a movement to the viewer, if squashing and stretching helps, then you should do it.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby Cowboy Memebop » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:35 pm

i don't consider it cheating and it's only bad imo if your stickman unintentionally and drastically changes proportions throughout your animation

be tasteful with ur squashing and stretching u know??
Cowboy MemebopOffline
Professional
Professional

Next

Return to Animation Chat / Resources