Flight Physics

Talk about animation, post .stks and resources here.

Moderator: Rank Team

Flight Physics

Postby Eli2814 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Would anyone be able to direct me to a good flight physics tutorial? I've noticed that alot of my animations incorporate flight. I'm not horrible at it, but it'd be nice to tighten up that skill as much as I possibly can.
Eli2814Offline
Active
Active

Re: Flight Physics

Postby FLIPit949 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:03 pm

i don't really know any, try watching some dbz stuff in YT, stuff made by jojishi maybe, idk
Check out my animation thread over here!
http://thedarkdemon.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2445

BBoDDV - 34/250+ frames (cheesygrin
FLIPit949Offline
Active
Active

Postby SIFTER » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:32 pm

I don't think that such a pivot tutorial exists at all. However, I can still lend you some tips to keep in mind:

•Overlapping is to be considered.
•Head can move to the desired direction first, then onionskin trailing can happen afterwards. Just make sure not to break any joints(don't make it look like bones are broken).
•Consistency is most important of all of this.
•Because there will be a constant camera pan when flying, you're free to play with the motion path just as you desire.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby Skype » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:09 pm

I checked out your animations and I'd say this is pretty spot on http://postimg.org/image/4xbfv4oo5

Imagine giving a position to the source of the flight, like the waist or torso. Then imagine this source is what's propelling the rest of the body. Then you know how to animate the rest of the limbs around that. You sort of did it in that animation when the 2 sticks are flying side by side and weaving up and down, their limbs flex in opposite motions. When they stop, the legs come forward and the stick leans forward.

This can be applied to different forms of flight too. With a pair of rocket boots the force is from the feet, and so stiff legs are a must for control.
emmastonewhywontyouloveme
SkypeOffline
Retired

Postby Eli2814 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:44 pm

Many thanks, this is helping a lot!
Eli2814Offline
Active
Active

Return to Animation Chat / Resources