THE RANDOM BOX

Talk about animation, post .stks and resources here.

Moderator: Rank Team

THE RANDOM BOX

Postby SharpBeast » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:04 pm

So, I bet many of us have gone trough that period when they can't think of an animation and are forced to stick with short and basically lifeless animations(like walk, run etc boring stuff), while they are good for our animating skill, they Do not really help us to be better at making ENTERTAINING animations. Like LP said we tend to forget that animations are meant to ENTERTAIN.
Okay, now on to the Point. This thread's purpose is to Share Anything that helps you animate and/or plan your animation.
It can be anything, really. Be it animation or music, movie, CGI, Book or a short-story. It doesn't matter, Because this is THE RANDOM BOX. All kinds of random stuff that is directly affecting animations can fit in here perfectly, and stuff that affects animations indirectly can also go in here.

Little things I particularly would want to see people share are:
-Music you use when you are making a Plan for animation, I don't know if it matters much, but ill say it anyway I'm drawing my plan's for animations with hand on paper(considering that I always go for max quality it takes at least 2 hours per A4 page, a lot of details I draw in them, making each of them a little masterpiece of mine)
-Music to use when Animating, more like playlist thing than one song thing, since I hardly doubt that anyone is animating for 3-8 minutes.(same goes for Planning)
-How you Plan your animations, if you plan them that is.
-Things that help you Plan out your animations, and some motivational tricks that help you complete long term projects.
-And what made you start to animate, what inspired you to.

A few animations I found particularly influential for me as an Animator are, Terkoiz and Hyunn. And Recently after seeing Dojo Demon collab Sifter joined them as well.

I hope this Re-newed thread gets the support of our community so, we can make more Fun animations, because as sad as it is there are not too many people in here that make truly fun and entertaining animations, most animations are just power display or test anims.(I myself are one of peeps who has gotten into test anim loop)
This thread is Meant, more for Beginner Animators, so I genuinely hope that our Interz, Vets and maybe even Elites share some of their experiences and what made them animate, what made them to continue animating, their hardships in animating, brick walls they've defeated, and how. Those things might not seem really important to them now, but for Beginners that is Invaluable, Priceless information that we would Love to get our hands on.
Last edited by SharpBeast on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My Thread
I removed your signature because it was too big. You can use the same one, just shrink it or put it in a spoiler.
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Re: Random Ideas and Inspiration Bank

Postby Gary » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:53 am

I don't think this thread is really needed, since we already have the ideas thread.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Re: Random Ideas and Inspiration Bank

Postby SharpBeast » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:45 pm

Girbot wrote:I don't think this thread is really needed, since we already have the ideas thread.

Yeah, Sifter told me the same thing.
I will make this thread dedicated to everything that can inspire, give ideas or just simply entertain.
Like stories, music, movies, CGI's, anything really that can affect the end result of animations. Like literally Random Box thread.
My Thread
I removed your signature because it was too big. You can use the same one, just shrink it or put it in a spoiler.
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Re: THE RANDOM BOX

Postby Clies » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:09 am

I may still be in Beginners Hall but I've been animating with Pivot for 5 years, so I've been through some things.

I've personally never properly planned an animation, I usually just think about the main idea "This character vs this character" for example, then I imagine a lot of epic scenes and cool effects, that's when I get REALLY excited then I think about the beginning scenes and not much more, everything else is improvising, my motivation is to animate those epic scenes I imagined the first time, this is all I do with animation, no practice that's why my improvement is slow so If you guys care about ranks or just surprass yourselves then test animations are helpful, but don't ignore yourself If your inspired, If you want to start a new project with cool effects and backgrounds I'd say go ahead, those things serve as practice too!

In the music side... Well recently I've been listening to Disney covers which are really cool, I'm not the kind of person that just lay in the bed and listen to music, to me it's like wasting it (I'm not pretending to offend anyone who do it, It's just my opinion) because whenever I find a song I really like I just listen to it when I'm animating I don't want to get bored without doing something with it.

In the inspiration side, Well... there's moments when I have to strive to get the scene because I know that If I postpone it, I'll never finish it, but there's moments when If I don't really feel like doing it then there's nothing else to do, I play games or do something else till I feel like doing it again. My biggest inspirations will always be Jojishi, Valtus and Hyun they make me feel like I can always improve more and more and more (love 'em <3)

This is a great Idea SharpBeast I'm sure people will find inspiration from this thread.
CliesOffline
S.M.O.T.Y
S.M.O.T.Y

Postby SharpBeast » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:39 pm

Clies wrote:I may still be in Beginners Hall but I've been animating with Pivot for 5 years, so I've been through some things.

I've personally never properly planned an animation, I usually just think about the main idea "This character vs this character" for example, then I imagine a lot of epic scenes and cool effects, that's when I get REALLY excited then I think about the beginning scenes and not much more, everything else is improvising, my motivation is to animate those epic scenes I imagined the first time, this is all I do with animation, no practice that's why my improvement is slow so If you guys care about ranks or just surprass yourselves then test animations are helpful, but don't ignore yourself If your inspired, If you want to start a new project with cool effects and backgrounds I'd say go ahead, those things serve as practice too!

In the music side... Well recently I've been listening to Disney covers which are really cool, I'm not the kind of person that just lay in the bed and listen to music, to me it's like wasting it (I'm not pretending to offend anyone who do it, It's just my opinion) because whenever I find a song I really like I just listen to it when I'm animating I don't want to get bored without doing something with it.

In the inspiration side, Well... there's moments when I have to strive to get the scene because I know that If I postpone it, I'll never finish it, but there's moments when If I don't really feel like doing it then there's nothing else to do, I play games or do something else till I feel like doing it again. My biggest inspirations will always be Jojishi, Valtus and Hyun they make me feel like I can always improve more and more and more (love 'em <3)

This is a great Idea SharpBeast I'm sure people will find inspiration from this thread.

I started animating about 8 or 7 years ago, but I never tried to get like super good, I just love to make animations. And I also was always improvising on the fly when I animated, but recently I've grown to understand the benefits of Planned animation. Planning animations is good for long term animations, while fully improvised animations are good for short animations.
Hehe well I sometimes like to relax and listen to music with my eyes closed and think. But yea, listening to music without doing anything is kind of a waste. Idk if someone else does this but I put music when I go to sleep(well, it's sorta music, binaural sound waves mixed with music, getting so much better sleep with it). When I animate I really like making playlists where each song's beat mixes perfectly with beat of the next song. How should I say, pacing of songs is what I like the most.
And idk if there is a single animator who doesn't Love Hyunn. Jojishi is Rly good too, idk about Valtus(maybe I haven't seen his animations)

Thanks I really do hope that this thread becomes a place where beginners and newbies come and get inspired or get ideas, or just get their good mood up and going :)
My Thread
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby SharpBeast » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:41 pm

If there is a single animation every Pivot animator MUST SEE, then it is this.
It is very inspiring, especially for beginners and people who just started animating. A lot to learn from it, and it is really entertaining.
In my book it is Really the best Pivot animation I've seen. Not by quality, but by content. This is a Gem.
phpBB [video]

btw, if anyone knows who is the animator for this one, let us know. Because that man(or woman) is a Legend.
My Thread
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Jack » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:39 am

i, uh, don't see how it's great by content. it's just a generic red vs. blue dbz sorta fight.
also, guns don't work that way.
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Postby SharpBeast » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Jack wrote:i, uh, don't see how it's great by content. it's just a generic red vs. blue dbz sorta fight.
also, guns don't work that way.

Do you see how the quality of animation changes thorough the fight? It is like watching someone grow.
Also It's DBZ, Bleach, Naruto and something else. But to put it all in one box, make it so enjoyable to watch and doing that while improving without making it boring, is, pretty much amazing.

I feel sorry for you that you can't see it's charm.(I really do) (frown
The premise is generic, that is true, but it is goddamn good. Also, that gunfire is from anime called Bleach. The best anime on my list.
This animation is really heavily influenced by Anime and that is visible trough whole fight.
My Thread
SharpBeastOffline
Regular
Regular

Return to Animation Chat / Resources