Pivot Copy/Paste user interface

Have a natter here with other users!

Pivot Copy/Paste user interface

Postby peterbone » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm currently implementing the copy and paste figures feature for Pivot 4.2. Going well at the moment. I started making this design for the interface. I thought that Duplicate will no longer be needed, so removed it and replaced it with copy and paste buttons. Alternatively I could leave the figure control buttons as they are in 4.1 with the duplicate button since I will have copy and paste in the menu anyway, and you can also use Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V. Which would you prefer? What would be best for beginners? Thanks.

peterboneOffline
Honorary
Honorary

Re: Pivot Copy/Paste user interface

Postby SIFTER » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Yes! Brilliantly put icons and an even more brilliant feature. I frankly can't wait to get my hands on it. This will save lives. But, the duplicate tool is also handy dandy. How about you add ctrl+D as a shortcut for that? You don't need to add its icon.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby Anton » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Crtl+C / Crtl+V is pretty intuitive. Beginners will figure it out on the go.
StickMaking | Animations Thread
The switch is now on OFF
AntonOffline
VIP

Postby tuna » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:21 pm

nicee, I think you should leave duplicate though, it's a quicker and more efficient way of replicating a figure if you're staying on the same frame. and Ctrl C, Ctrl V and Ctrl D are really good, even if you're new to pivot, you know what keyboard short cuts are. having the copy-and-paste-figures controls in the edit bar may be slightly confusing because having the same function located in two different places is slightly confusing because you might think they're something different. Having them just above the add frame button is neato burrito.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Daniël » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:50 am

So happy that's going to be a thing. I've had several occasions on which I thought a copy/paste function would have been useful.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Coweetie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 am

yesyesyesyes :D

does it copy the stick in the same place maybe, too? (razz

ctrl c /ctrl v is a very good idea :D

leaving the copy and paste in the left interface might be a good idea since not everyone uses the shortcuts, some simply use the mouse.
.....deviantart....3Dstuff.....freestyle.....pivot.....
Spoiler:

Life is a matter of opinion
CoweetieOffline
that orange dude
VIP

Postby peterbone » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:26 am

Tuna wrote:nicee, I think you should leave duplicate though, it's a quicker and more efficient way of replicating a figure if you're staying on the same frame. and Ctrl C, Ctrl V and Ctrl D are really good, even if you're new to pivot, you know what keyboard short cuts are. having the copy-and-paste-figures controls in the edit bar may be slightly confusing because having the same function located in two different places is slightly confusing because you might think they're something different. Having them just above the add frame button is neato burrito.

Thanks. I won't have duplicate AND copy paste as buttons on the left. One or the other because I don't like having too many buttons that scare beginners. Not many people use keyboard shortcuts I think, especially children, who are the main users of Pivot. If I leave the copy and paste in the edit menu only then you can still use them with the mouse or with shortcuts. I see what you mean about having the same control in 2 places though.
peterboneOffline
Honorary
Honorary

Postby Waters » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:12 am

I think you're wrong about that, I've used pivot since I was 9 and the first thing I did was try and use the copy and paste shortcuts, why do you think Pivot Hotkeys was so popular for so long? I think having Ctrl D for duplicate and ctrlC/V would be great. I
||Fightan Youtube||
5B>B>3C>2DC>5DA>dl[4]6A>5B>3C>2DC>6DC/Super/[2]8C
WatersOffline
Option Selects
Option Selects

Postby Mitch » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 am

this will be great for touching something up something you've missed frame by frame.

One of the biggest problems with using pivot to make backgrounds is essentially being allowed no drafting phase before having to animate on a BG, where as with a tool like this you can just plop an alteration down on every frame.

That said I think the duplicate button should be kept as it essentially combines the 2 step copy and paste process into one, more convenient process. So copy/pasting figures would be used for multiple frame editing, where as duplicate would be more effective when focusing on a single frame.

To be honest it really DOESN'T matter if you decide to rule out the duplicate button because it isn't at all hard to just copy something, paste it, then copy another thing. But just some food for thought.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Return to General Talk