panic

*ebola

PANIC
MarviliciousOffline
Lurking cunt
VIP

Re: Ebola

Postby Ashero » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Mat wrote:I'm in pennsylvania so I'm not worried in the slightest. I feel like this is just being over exaggerated for the sake of an interesting news story. Swineflu2.0

Wow, MD
Friend at school says the world is overpopulated and people gon' die.
so eh
I just don't get why they let some of the people with ebola into the streets in america
AsheroOffline
new scrooge
VIP

Postby Jojishi » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:12 am

It's ridiculous that it's got to this point. 20 times worse of an outbreak than the Ebola outbreak which was the worst. Over 8,000 is a lot, and we're talking about Ebola here. I just hope this thing dies out before serious damage happens. If it spread to a place like India we'd be screwed (or at least India would be).

Yeah, not very pretty. The very least we can hope for is that it doesn't mutate to an air-borne strain. The world won't be the same if that happens.

While everyone likes to joke about there being panic, this whole thing is still a cause for concern. Not completely brushing it off or going into a full-blown panic, but to be aware of this thing because it could be a huge threat. The reason it's gotten this bad is because of the level of complacency, and they handled the situation in Texas extremely badly as well.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby thebiscotticakeman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:43 am

i just checked with my friends in the us there was a case of someone with ebola in california
welp
thebiscotticakemanOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby Mat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:07 am

Ashero wrote:I just don't get why they let some of the people with ebola into the streets in america

Because it's not airborne.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Jon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:18 am

Alca wrote:The government sure loves to create mass panic huh? That fearmongering.

In a civilized country the risk of catching Ebola is severely reduced. Given that you can only catch it through bodily fluids, simply having good hygiene is an effective deterrent. Humanitarian and health care workers are at risk, yes. But there's really no reason to worry about the general populace. Some people are treating it like the zombie apocalypse. It's ridiculous.

People create their own fear. If they are stupid enough to believe the mass media production, (media, not government) then let them. Hopefully they're the ones that contract ebola and die.

Aids is still a fairly prevalent disease which is transmitted via bodily fluids.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Behemoth » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:40 am

Jon wrote:
Alca wrote:The government sure loves to create mass panic huh? That fearmongering.

In a civilized country the risk of catching Ebola is severely reduced. Given that you can only catch it through bodily fluids, simply having good hygiene is an effective deterrent. Humanitarian and health care workers are at risk, yes. But there's really no reason to worry about the general populace. Some people are treating it like the zombie apocalypse. It's ridiculous.

People create their own fear. If they are stupid enough to believe the mass media production, (media, not government) then let them. Hopefully they're the ones that contract ebola and die.

Aids is still a fairly prevalent disease which is transmitted via bodily fluids.

The difference is is that AIDS is very secretive and hard to tell for a very long period of time. Ebola is even harder to contract than AIDS, mainly because the time in which the virus is dormant is much shorter than that of AIDS and for Ebola the symptoms get really obvious really quick. Plus, if you get it, you have pretty high percentage that you'll die too fast to even have enough time to spread it to enough people. Ebola spreads through those 8000 people cause most of them were in areas where the medical treatment is absolute shit. I have my doubts that Ebola will get prevalent in countries like Europe or America since their medical system is much better. Also people have been worrying that Ebola will evolve to be airborne which I also find ridiculous. I haven't known any virus that has evolved that quickly to become airborne, even with AIDS which is evolving all the goddamned time. But who knows I can and maybe be wrong.

However, I do think the media hype is a bit more understandable since the symptoms are more horrifying and the death rate is fairly high. Its like the opposite with swine flu where its mortality rate was shit but spread very quickly.
BehemothOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Extra » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 am

A norwegian woman got ebola while working with those with ebola.
She got sent back home, and is cured today.
ExtraOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Postby tuna » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:42 am

the worry with ebola isn't how many it's infected, its how many it's going to infect. the number of cases is exponentially increasing and there's no treatment/cure at all.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Daniël » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:10 pm

Extra wrote:A norwegian woman got ebola while working with those with ebola.

I've read a story about a guy that had the same happen to him and went back helping the Ebola-infected again afterwards.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Daniël wrote:
Extra wrote:A norwegian woman got ebola while working with those with ebola.

I've read a story about a guy that had the same happen to him and went back helping the Ebola-infected again afterwards.

Well at that point he's immune, so in a way he's a really good man for continuing to help even after what he went through. People like that always motivate me.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Gage » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:10 pm

From what I've read upon what is happening is that two people were found with Ebola and one dog and now the whole world is freaking out
I mean people the flu is going around still and we have had more deaths from that

please
GageOffline
VIP

Previous

Return to General Talk