Christmas Banner?

Have a natter here with other users!

Re: Christmas Banner?

Postby Juke » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:42 am

Mitch wrote:I think if we went for something winter themed as opposed to red and green we could get those niche Christmassy vibes without breaking away from the color scheme DD is known for (or at least maintain that aspect of using only cool colors.)

Spoiler:
Version with the reindeer although I really don't like this, the reindeer is awesome but it kinda clashes with the rest of the banner

Y'all like or nay?

These have to be my favorite at the moment, it fits the best with the forum I really like them.
Everyone else's are looking awesome too, like Raymond said we might have each banner up for a few days at a time!

I'd love one with a chirstmas hat sitting on the "D" of Dark along with a Santa beard.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby Caleb » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:24 am

In Mitch's example it looks like the reindeer is a bit too bright. I think it'd be better to make it a bit darker. I really want that banner now though, looks really good.

I also agree that changing the whole color scheme would be too much by the way, would be way too much of a pain to get all that to look right and it'd be for only a month at best.

Edit: Please don't use this banner. No offence, but it looks like someone threw 3 pictures on top of each other and thought that'd make a good banner. Just keep the old one until we have a good one people agree on.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Firecracker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Mitch wrote:I think if we went for something winter themed as opposed to red and green we could get those niche Christmassy vibes without breaking away from the color scheme DD is known for (or at least maintain that aspect of using only cool colors.)

Spoiler:
Version with the reindeer although I really don't like this, the reindeer is awesome but it kinda clashes with the rest of the banner

Y'all like or nay?

Damn! Lets get this one implemented right away! And if we could get a Santa clause hat on top of the "D" like Juke said, that would be great. (thumbsup
"A stickfigure doing a walk is far better than some spiky-haired fuckwit blurring across the screen in a two or three-frame run."

~ Waffles Mgee
FirecrackerOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Josh » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:52 pm

It would be a nice little touch to get the snowflakes in the background moving when you rollover perhaps, that's what I think anyway.
Looks good though, I'd enjoy that one!
DarkDemon Member since 6th July 2010
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby Raymond » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:58 pm

I understand that everyone wants the banner to be animated, but it's more difficult than you think. You would have to change the coding of the banner so that it will work with GIFS or SWF files. If anyone knows how to do that, I would be glad if you could enlighten me. Also, I'm sorry it took so long to change the banner. I've already stated I will put each of them up for a day or two as I receive them and eventually keep one we all like till the holidays are over. I like variety, since we have been staring at the same banner for awhile now. It's just an image that goes at the top of our site. If we don't like it, it's easy to change. So lets have some fun with it.

Also, great job on these so far. I really like them all and plan on using most of them for a short time at least. Maybe we'll revert back to Mitch's banner at the end since his fits with the theme of the site the most out of them, but maybe someone will make an even better one?
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Daniël » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Oi, looks fucking awesome like this. This one is a bit boring in my opinion, but it's a great improvement nonetheless (no offense, Raymond).
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Raymond » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Daniël wrote:Oi, looks fucking awesome like this. This one is a bit boring in my opinion, but it's a great improvement nonetheless (no offense, Raymond).

None taken. (cheesygrin
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby socks » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Raymond wrote:I understand that everyone wants the banner to be animated, but it's more difficult than you think. You would have to change the coding of the banner so that it will work with GIFS or SWF files. If anyone knows how to do that, I would be glad if you could enlighten me.

I'll keep you updated if i can get in touch with someone.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby Josh » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Raymond wrote:You would have to change the coding of the banner so that it will work with GIFS or SWF files.

99% sure you can do it through CSS using two .png image files.

Raymond wrote:II've already stated I will put each of them up for a day or two as I receive them and eventually keep one we all like till the holidays are over. I like variety, since we have been staring at the same banner for awhile now. It's just an image that goes at the top of our site. If we don't like it, it's easy to change. So lets have some fun with it.

We could have it randomize if we wanted, like the backgrounds on ArtAngle.
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby Cheese » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:31 pm

This new one looks really cool too
CheeseOffline
i'm nicole now
VIP

Postby Raymond » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:11 pm

Minifrij wrote:
Raymond wrote:You would have to change the coding of the banner so that it will work with GIFS or SWF files.

This actually sounds like it might work, but I still have no idea how to code that, so if you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Minifrij wrote:
Raymond wrote:II've already stated I will put each of them up for a day or two as I receive them and eventually keep one we all like till the holidays are over. I like variety, since we have been staring at the same banner for awhile now. It's just an image that goes at the top of our site. If we don't like it, it's easy to change. So lets have some fun with it.

I don't know if your getting ArtAngle mixed up with TaL, but Xman and me were working on a forum before TDD came around. Xman managed to get the banner to randomly play gifs. So we could add peoples animations up on the banner. However, I remember him saying there is a time frame between when each gif plays. So lets say that time frame is 5 seconds. Any animations longer than that will be cut short. So that was a problem we had. We also never attempted to make an interactive banner (where shit lights up if you hover your mouse over it). I know how to make an SWF file so that happens, it's like making an average button, but idk how to add SWF files into the banner.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Josh » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Raymond wrote:
Minifrij wrote:

This actually sounds like it might work, but I still have no idea how to code that, so if you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.#

Can give it a go, it should just be finding the banner CSS, adding a :hover to the end and changing the background-image variable.

Raymond wrote:
Minifrij wrote:

I don't know if your getting ArtAngle mixed up with TaL, but Xman and me were working on a forum before TDD came around. Xman managed to get the banner to randomly play gifs. So we could add peoples animations up on the banner. However, I remember him saying there is a time frame between when each gif plays. So lets say that time frame is 5 seconds. Any animations longer than that will be cut short. So that was a problem we had. We also never attempted to make an interactive banner (where shit lights up if you hover your mouse over it). I know how to make an SWF file so that happens, it's like making an average button, but idk how to add SWF files into the banner.

What I mean is, on Artangle, everytime you left the site and re entered or refreshed, the background would change. We could have something like that.
If we needed to we could use a SWF file, but it wouldn't be too great. It would mean that anyone browsing on mobile or a tablet would not be able to view the banner, nor use it to get back to the homepage.
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:40 pm

Raymond wrote:
Minifrij wrote:
Raymond wrote:
II've already stated I will put each of them up for a day or two as I receive them and eventually keep one we all like till the holidays are over. I like variety, since we have been staring at the same banner for awhile now. It's just an image that goes at the top of our site. If we don't like it, it's easy to change. So lets have some fun with it.
What I mean is, on Artangle, everytime you left the site and re entered or refreshed, the background would change. We could have something like that.
If we needed to we could use a SWF file, but it wouldn't be too great. It would mean that anyone browsing on mobile or a tablet would not be able to view the banner, nor use it to get back to the homepage.

TaL died hard.
Geometry Dash
ChrisOffline
Chris
Chris

Postby Firecracker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 pm

I think we could darken the reindeer a bit and it would look great!
"A stickfigure doing a walk is far better than some spiky-haired fuckwit blurring across the screen in a two or three-frame run."

~ Waffles Mgee
FirecrackerOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Jojishi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:44 pm

This banner looks awesome Mitch. Great job on it dude.
JojishiOffline
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk