Exercise and Fitness

Have a natter here with other users!

Re: Exercise and Fitness

Postby Jon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:02 am

Spock wrote:Now I also assume you want your biceps to be bigger for aesthetics (which is perfectly valid). A common misconception is that to get great arms you should train your biceps, but triceps are actually the majority of the mass of your arm. Focusing on triceps will actually make your biceps seem much more impressive - they're MUCH more important than biceps in most cases and training to look good is no exception.

Spot on. Do things like tricep push downs, rope push downs, skull crushers, diamond push ups if you're looking for more body weight stuff, dips. etc.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Erif » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Calisthenics. I just got into the whole bodyweight stuff after doing parkour. Who can give me some advice? We installed a pull up bar at home recently, I can only do 2 full pull ups atm tho. Can someone knowledgeable suggest me a good routine for athletic purposes?
Erif
Regular
ErifOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Jon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Well, I think I'm going to be out for a while. Ligament damage in my knee, getting an MRI to see the full extent tomorrow. Yay.
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Koolcid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:33 pm

Jon wrote:Well, I think I'm going to be out for a while. Ligament damage in my knee, getting an MRI to see the full extent tomorrow. Yay.

Aw no way man, what happened?

And that's only going to stop you from doing lower body, do some bench and chin ups and whatever.
KoolcidOffline
Matorator
Matorator

Postby tuna » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:02 pm

I do taekwondo, which is a lot of work. good cardio fitness, also muscle a little bit, we do a lot of bodyweight exercises there, and endurance drills, strength, power, speed etc etc. i'm definitely much fitter compared to when i first joined. used to only be able to get to about 6.5-7 in the bleep test, and the most recent one i did (about 9 months ago) i got 9.9, compared to the 7.1 i got 7 months prior (i'd only been doing taekwondo for about 3-4 weeks by that point). muscle strength is much improved. attitude towards driving yourself harder and harder has changed. it's one of the few things that i do which really motivates me to try and to improve, because its so rewarding.
may or may not start doing stuff at home, see if i can work out a routine of bodyweight exercises and if that works out, buy a small set of dumbbells work them in too. i'm already reasonably cut as it is but hey, room for improvement as always.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Raymond » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:43 pm

Erif wrote:Calisthenics. I just got into the whole bodyweight stuff after doing parkour. Who can give me some advice? We installed a pull up bar at home recently, I can only do 2 full pull ups atm tho. Can someone knowledgeable suggest me a good routine for athletic purposes?

Hey man even if you can only do 2, you set the bar low, so it shouldn't be too hard to increase it from there.

I remember when I was in 2nd grade we had charts on the gym wall with peoples records for situps, pull up, push up, etc. One day I ended up reaching 25 pull ups and making it 3rd on the list. I was so proud of myself. I hope if you continue to work out, you feel the same when you see your progress.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Erif » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:15 pm

@Raymond Thanks, I'll just continue doing as many as I can in repetitions then. I wasn't able to do one a few months ago, so I'm pretty proud already.

@Jon Damn that seems really nasty. I had that in my thumb last year and I can only imagine how much it sucks when in your knee. Get better.
Erif
Regular
ErifOffline
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to General Talk