Career Discussion

Have a natter here with other users!

Career Discussion

Postby neilhavkin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:27 pm

I'm curious about what you all want to do with your lives . . . career-wise, hopes and dreams, the like. If you're already down your career path, what future career plans do you have in mind?

RN I'm planning on going to college, getting a degree, and then enlisting in the US Coast Guard to become a rescue swimmer. The two aren't really related as people in the USCG with degrees are usually officers. I just love swimming, first aid, and lifesaving as well as the military/USCG lifestyle/mentality so I thought I'd just spend five years helping people and doing something I love.

After discharge from the USCG I really might do anything, no plans in mind. Maybe be a trauma nurse or an engineer of some sort.

I also really love stand-up comedy and I'm pretty well-known at my high school for being pretty quick and funny so I might try and do a bit of performing once I can learn to stop stuttering and shaking when I speak in front of crowds.

Right now I'm a lifeguard and have a few other qualifications in preparation for the whole rescue swimming thing, so I'm on my way. Just need to not screw up any math tests and I'll be good to go.

I also love scuba diving. Plan on going cave diving once I turn eighteen (you have to be eighteen to cave dive as cave diving is a very hazardous activity), caves fascinate me and I like a good challenging dive into the unknown.
Last edited by neilhavkin on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilhavkinOffline
VIP

Re: Career Discussion

Postby Gary » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:59 pm

I plan on majoring in music, and becoming a music teacher. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably just try to major in computer programming or animating and figure out where to go from there.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Mat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:25 pm

I plan to be a substance abuse counselor. I already do a lot of service work at a halfway house and a few rehabs.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Extra » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm sone done with my last year to become an electrician, which will be super great.
ExtraOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Postby TheRavenHouse » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:09 pm

I'm going back to college taking accelerated courses to become an english tutor, it's not a career, but it's the plan for the coming years.
TheRavenHouseOffline
A Lot Of Acid
A Lot Of Acid

Postby Grams » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:29 am

Only taking freshman courses right now (core classes), but in the coming years I'll be taking my major-related courses. Audio Production, Script Writing, Cinematography, etc. I'm pretty excited. I suppose my ideal job would be to direct/produce/write. But, being involved with film in general would be pretty sweet.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Caleb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:59 am

I'm kind of stuck. I'm gonna go to art school for sure, but for as far as a job is concerned I don't know. Maybe I'll end up teaching kids about art, maybe I'll somehow become actually good enough to make a living just making art. I'm just gonna go along and see what happens.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Four » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19 am

I'd like to become an animator.
ok
FourOffline
VIP

Postby Juke » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:45 pm

I have an interview to get into an animation course. I would graduate with a BA (Honors) level 8 degree in animaion which is sweet, from there I can follow into game design and graphic design but I hope I can follow straight into an animation company with such a high degree.
If I don't get in this year, I'll do an animation portfolio course for the year which I have already applied for, and do the interview again.
JukeOffline
Honorary

Postby socks » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 pm

I have ambitions of doing a lot of things in my life. I want to become a animator as a hobby, not work. I want to be a musician as a hobby, not work. I want to probably get an English degree, or a music degree of some sorts down the line. But for now i'm just getting the generals out of the way. I wouldn't mind starting up a store that sells albums/instruments/and music accessories. I mean, that would be my dream. I don't mind working, as long as i'm good with whatever i'm doing. That's the worse thing, to do a job and not be good at it, stressful as anything.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby ThatCelticFurry » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:02 pm

After I finish high school I have plans to go college and get a PhD in linguistics. Once I have that going for me there will be plenty of career opportunities as an educator, writer or researcher. I know I needn't get this doctorate rather than just a degree, but then I could have "doctor" in my title and it would give me an excuse to keep living in my mom's house for the five-to-seven years it takes to get one. (:P
"I post so rarely that my posts are an endangered species." —TCF
YouTube | Pivot | Flash
ThatCelticFurryOffline
Active
Active

Postby Biscuit » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:37 am

Im a little torn between my career paths. I want to go to college and major in either business management or computer programming or go into psychology field. Im torn because i want a career where I can help people but I also want a job where I can work alone. But for dreams, I want to go into the PBA ( Professional Bowling Association ) and be able to make a living off that
BiscuitOffline

Postby Lord » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:51 am

Uh... I kind of want to do everything.

When I was younger I was always changing my mind as to what I would like to be, but now I'm just not sure, why should I do one thing for my entire life?
I said this to my dad, he said that if you'd want to get really good at something that you have to spend a few years at it at least.

But at the moment, all the professions that I've wanted to do, in order, would be;
Architect, Game Design, Animation, and acting being the most recent.
I'm probably too young to be thinking about this, but I still think about it anyways.

Becuase, when I think of acting (this is what's been on my mind now for a while), I think of how that, if I want to be successful at it, I would have had to have started young (crazy thought I know) and when I think of all the actors and actresses out there in their late teens or early twenties, how they were out making movies at my age, whilst here I am sitting down all day, playing Xbox and animating.

It really drags down your self-esteem thinking that people your age were doing so much more than you are now.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Coweetie » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:23 am

I`m satisfied as long as I can work in a job I like,I have enough money to live, and some time to do what i want to.
.....deviantart....3Dstuff.....freestyle.....pivot.....
Spoiler:

Life is a matter of opinion
CoweetieOffline
that orange dude
VIP

Postby neilhavkin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:01 am

LordPivot wrote:and when I think of all the actors and actresses out there in their late teens or early twenties, how they were out making movies at my age, whilst here I am sitting down all day, playing Xbox and animating.

It really drags down your self-esteem thinking that people your age were doing so much more than you are now.

Yeah, but can Chandler Riggs animate stickmen as well as you? I think not. All he does is play a character that no one can stand with a much overdue death on a show that's otherwise great.

Most child actors kinda suck. They either play douches or are real life douches. If you want to be an actor, go be an actor and follow your dreams but don't let assholes who were on TV at ten years of age make you feel bad about yourself.
neilhavkinOffline
VIP

Next

Return to General Talk