Where are you trying to go?

Have a natter here with other users!

Where are you trying to go?

Postby Eli2814 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:26 pm

I've been wondering for the longest if people on here were doing pivot for the heck of it, or if some really were trying to do animation as a career to some capacity. Cuz even some of the best pivoters I've seen end up moving on to do things other than animation. It's just something that's been on the brain that would be cool to know about you guys (cheesygrin
Eli2814Offline
Active
Active

Re: Where are you trying to go?

Postby Caleb » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Animation will be in my first year of art academy at least, if I decide to go for it I could major in it. I'm not sure about the animation career world though, it's p shitty pay and a lot of hard work. It'd probably be easier to just do some other job and have animation as a hobby.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Franklin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:28 pm

I've thought about going into 3D animation as a career, but I'm much more likely to try to go into a STEM job and keep animation as a hobby.
FranklinOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gary » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm not that interested in doing animation for a living. Although, if I fail as a Music Teacher or Instruction, that'll definitely be my backup plan.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Josh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:38 pm

When I first started animation I intended to continue it as a career, but over time I've got bored of it. Now it's more of an interest that I rarely do.
DarkDemon Member since 6th July 2010
JoshOffline
2010 - 2015
Web Developer

Postby Jojishi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:17 pm

I intend to do it as a career. Only thing that scares me off is the pay and the long hours. I'd at least like to give it a go though just to get an experience of doing it professionally. If I don't like it then I'll always do it as a hobby and have my personal projects to work on. That's my plan anyway.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Eli2814 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:28 pm

Jojishi wrote:Only thing that scares me off is the pay and the long hours.

How low is the pay? I've never looked into that kind of thing
Eli2814Offline
Active
Active

Postby Jojishi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:37 pm

Eli2814 wrote:

It's reasonable; roughly $60 k starting pay. But it's not much for the amount of work put in, which is typically 12 hour days, 6 days a week. If there's ever crunch time, which seems to be somewhere around 20% to 75% of the time (depending on how bad management is where you work) it can be 7 days a week with 14 hour days. Fortunately you get long holidays (about 1-2 months each year).

I'm sure the two hardest positions for this reason are animation as well as game development. The visual effects, animation, games industries in particular are extremely competitive, so they get a lot of young people who will work for peanuts in comparison to the amount of work they do. In truth, people doing this work should be getting paid almost double what they make.

Due to a high turn-over rate and lay-offs, if you do make it, you can make loads of money as a lead animator or director of animation. That's when you're looking at $100 k and the work's easier. The first year or two is always the hardest.

Now I don't actually work in the industry so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have researched extensively on the topic.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Caleb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:04 am

Jojishi wrote:
Eli2814 wrote:

It's reasonable; roughly $60 k starting pay. But it's not much for the amount of work put in, which is typically 12 hour days, 6 days a week. If there's ever crunch time, which seems to be somewhere around 20% to 75% of the time (depending on how bad management is where you work) it can be 7 days a week with 14 hour days. Fortunately you get long holidays (about 1-2 months each year).

I'm sure the two hardest positions for this reason are animation as well as game development. The visual effects, animation, games industries in particular are extremely competitive, so they get a lot of young people who will work for peanuts in comparison to the amount of work they do. In truth, people doing this work should be getting paid almost double what they make.

Due to a high turn-over rate and lay-offs, if you do make it, you can make loads of money as a lead animator or director of animation. That's when you're looking at $100 k and the work's easier. The first year or two is always the hardest.

Now I don't actually work in the industry so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have researched extensively on the topic.

Also you get payed per job (or sometimes even just hired for 1 job), so sometimes you won't be getting any of the jobs you apply for and you'll be stuck with no income for the time being. This one's probably pretty obvious, but still something noteworthy.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Lord » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:38 am

I just started Pivot a few years back because it made me happy...

now though? I probably could apply what I'm learning in animation to game development and stuff down that line in what I want to do in the future. But hey, what do I know? I'm only 14, nearly 15, still a while yet to go there, so maybe I shouldn't think about it.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Jon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:10 am

I did it because I enjoyed it and loved seeing myself progress
JonOffline
Old Cunt
Retired

Postby Coweetie » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:31 am

I animate because I love it, it makes me feel gud (cheesygrin+
Leaving a mark on earth and in people's mind/heart by animating,telling stories or ideas would be the greatest achievement for me.
.....deviantart....3Dstuff.....freestyle.....pivot.....
Spoiler:

Life is a matter of opinion
CoweetieOffline
that orange dude
VIP

Postby SIFTER » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:37 am

I'd like to major in English to be a translator or an English teacher or get any decent job then see if I can reach a certain level in animation that'd let people commission me.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby salami » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:51 pm

I want to open a restaurant. I like anime but I don't think I would be good enough to do it professionally. Maybe an anime themed restaurant. (cheesygrin
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot (thumbsup
salamiOffline
Active
Active

Postby James » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:43 pm

i want to become an electrician
JamesOffline
Active
Active

Next

Return to General Talk