Jobs 'n stuff.

Have a natter here with other users!

Jobs 'n stuff.

Postby Lionheart » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:03 pm

You guys have heard the success stories come from here. This isn't one of them.

So to lay some things out first.. I live in Southern Louisiana in the United (debatable) States of America. I'm 21-years-old. I have recently been involved in an accident that resulted in a 'DUI & Failure to Yield' traffic fine. My court date is in exactly one month from today. I already know I'll be on probation, with the duration of said probation to pay my fines of $1,500 - 2,000 USD. The nearest "big" city to me is called New Iberia and is a 30 minute drive away (the only place with 'supposedly' an abundance of jobs around here). I found a job app site about 2 months ago (before the accident even happened) that takes a single application and applies it to every business/corporation with the same name in a certain radius of that city (i.e. applies to all McDonalds in a 35 mile, or however this converts to the rest of the world's measurements, radius). 17 different businesses, 63 different locations, absolutely zero responses. I've been trying harder and harder as the date draws near to apply to more and more places for work, but absolutely nothing comes of it. I just don't know what to do, guys. Idk what I'm expecting here, but the Darkdemon community has always felt like home to me, and I feel comfortable sharing this with you all. Maybe getting this off my chest will help.

So while we're here, I guess we can also discuss our jobs or missed job opportunities.

Steam: l3g3nd4ryli0n
YEAH, MIGHT AS WELL COPY & PASTE THAT.
LionheartOffline
Old Bastard
Retired

Re: Jobs 'n stuff.

Postby Pistol » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:25 am

If you were driving while intoxicated you get everything that's coming to you. Like holy shit why are you expecting anyone to pity you when you endanger people like that?
PistolOffline
VIP

Postby Gary » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:46 am

Yea, I agree with Pistol. No one should pity you for decisions you make that could possibly kill or harm others.

Anyways, I don't have a job right now, but I'm putting out a few job applications here today for my first job.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Raymond » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:58 pm

I agree with everyone, that you brought this upon yourself, but were all humans and we all make mistakes. It doesn't seem to me like you are asking for pity, but more so for advice.

So you used some automated system for handing in job applications. That's not a bad idea since like you said, it's sent out to all business/corporations in your area. Great, that means a higher chance at getting a response/call back. But there is a draw back to this method.

Now take this with a grain of salt because I'm only going by my own experience. A lot of employers like to see you hand in your applications in person. It shows more ambition and if the manager/boss is working at the time, imagine handing it straight to them saying how much you would like to have that job. That manager/boss is likely going to remember you over the 100 people who used the same "job app site" that you did. Taking a day to drive around your area and personally go into each place and ask someone for a physical application (and possibly filling it out right in front of them) is going to earn you more brownie points than you think.

Also see if you have any family members that can get you a job. Maybe someone you know works at a local Mcdonalds/burger king/gas station, the more references you can put down on your application the better. Also make sure you include any past job experience on your application, it can only help. Even if you didn't do that well at other jobs, when calling your references, I've heard that previous employers can only mention your positive work habits, they are not allowed to mention your bad habits. (This could have changed now, or never been the case, I don't have proof of this, but I've heard it from my old boss.)

Also try not to limit your hours/days. The more you are available, the more likely you are to be hired. Especially if you give them a flexible schedule. Places like Mcdonalds/Burger King/Gas Stations, etc, don't usually require an interview. They just call you, ask if you can start asap and thats it, your hired.

Maybe you knew all of this already, maybe you didn't, but I hope it helps.
RaymondOffline
Tychus Findlay
Admin

Postby Lionheart » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:51 pm

I already know I was wrong and was expecting no pity, I just needed to say this somewhere.

@Raymond, things are a bit different around here with applications. I thought employers preferred a more personal approach and tried it, as well, but almost all businesses around here have strictly online applications. It's a little frustrating. I guess I'll have to risk working for nothing shrimping with my stepdad.. but when the money's there, it's good. Sometimes we only make enough to pay for the expenses of the trip though. I've gotta do something. (confused I appreciate the advice very much, btw Ray.

Some good news, my girlfriend is going to start her clinicals for Vet Assistant soon.

Steam: l3g3nd4ryli0n
YEAH, MIGHT AS WELL COPY & PASTE THAT.
LionheartOffline
Old Bastard
Retired

Postby MCToast » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:25 pm

I just send my shit and then call them so I can ask for more info.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby qbeef » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:55 pm

My work situation is a bit complex. My Dad started his own business fixing computers and selling electronics/accessories. Then he got big into online reselling and opened up 3 different businesses under him selling different electronic parts on eBay. He helps family members out by teaching them how to start and, in the case of my uncle, helped him into a warehouse and back him financially. Currently I'm working with my Uncle, who's business is relatively new, and the plan is to learn and eventually start one of my own (currently predicted to start around December). If all goes well, I should be pretty well off for a while although I will be studying different aspects of business while I'm in college as I REALLY want to one-up my family by expanding the on way the run things and end up having lots more dinero than them $$$

But that's wishful thinking. All I really want is my own place to play video games and fap in peace so I think a small-scale business will do.
qbeefOffline
⦿
⦿

Return to General Talk