I Got 99 Problems

Have a natter here with other users!

I Got 99 Problems

Postby Ray » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:02 pm

So I just recently learned that I do this thing called "Maladaptive Daydreaming"

Wiki Definition
Spoiler:
"a psychological concept first introduced by Eli Somer[1] to describe an extensive fantasy activity that replaces human interaction and/or interferes with academic, interpersonal, or vocational functioning. It might be related to childhood emotional neglect or abuse that motivates victims to divorce from the threatening world"

Signs and Symptoms
Spoiler:
While there are many specific symptoms of a maladaptive daydreamer, someone with this disorder will not necessarily have all of them.Often maladaptive daydreamers will have 'triggers' that set off their daydreams. Common triggers are books, movies, music, and even riding in a car. Maladaptive daydreamers also may have trouble getting out of bed or going to sleep, due to the want to continue daydreaming. Often times while maladaptive daydreamers are daydreaming they will whisper, talk, make facial expressions, or do some sort of repetitive movement.

Maladaptive daydreamers can spend hours simply daydreaming. They often have elaborate fantasies within their minds, often comparable to a complete novel or movie. Many have more than one fantasy in their mind, each with its own characters, setting, plots, etc. Maladaptive daydreamers may become emotionally attached to their characters as well, though they know the characters are not real.

I've read some people's experiences online and I don't have it anywhere as much as some others. But lately I have been doing things like, rocking back and forth, or spinning while having vivid daydreams as I listen to music. They can last for hours or only last a few minutes. It really depends on whatever my mood is. It isn't an addiction or anything but sometimes when I'm animating, doing homework or anything productive really, I wish that I was listening to music and conjuring something else. When I was younger my family went through a lot and I experienced a lot at a young age. So worrying about my mental state, my mother would take me to doctors and therapists just to make sure I was ok. In doing so, she learned that in response any trauma I experienced, I would wet the bed often and probably daydream a lot whenever I got older (now). And they were all right. Because I wet the bed like a lot when I was younger (it stopped a long time ago though.) and now I've started doing this.

Sooo, I'm not exactly sure when this'll be over because doctors n people like that suggest that if trauma was minimal it should pass (And suggesting to seek help otherwise) But yeah... Thats the gist of it.

And if its Tl;dr then tell me about if you have anything similar or of the sort.
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Re: I Got 99 Problems

Postby SIFTER » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:07 pm

your one and only Wikipidia wrote:Common triggers are books, movies, music, and even riding in a car. Maladaptive daydreamers also may have trouble getting out of bed or going to sleep, due to the want to continue daydreaming. Often times while maladaptive daydreamers are daydreaming they will whisper, talk, make facial expressions, or do some sort of repetitive movement.

Maladaptive daydreamers can spend hours simply daydreaming. They often have elaborate fantasies within their minds, often comparable to a complete novel or movie. Many have more than one fantasy in their mind, each with its own characters, setting, plots, etc. Maladaptive daydreamers may become emotionally attached to their characters as well, though they know the characters are not real.

This is all me! From top to bottom :O. I seem to have the tendency of not doing anything and standing in place when it happens.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby Lord » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Don't have anything like this. I fall asleep very easily.
How did you get diagnosed?
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Ray » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Lord wrote:Don't have anything like this. I fall asleep very easily.
How did you get diagnosed?

I'm not sure what falling asleep easily has to do with it but ok lol. And I technically wasn't diagnosed but two different doctors suggested that this would happen when I was younger and since almost every explanation and symptom of mdd seems to fit me right now I just naturally assumed. I don't really need to go talk to anyone about it because it isn't like an uncontrolled habit or anything.

Sifter wrote:This is all me! From top to bottom :O. I seem to have the tendency of not doing anything and standing in place when it happens.

Oh man. I can't even imagine standing still while it happens I gotta move something. lol. Weird.

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby TθPS » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:18 pm

i might do, i liked to daydreaming before goes to sleep, there's a time where i'm thinking that someone is watching me and i pretended to talk with it, so i talk with myself all night (probably whispering)
TθPSOffline
­Tthetaops
­Tthetaops

Postby Gary » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 pm

I daydream while I'm doing pretty much anything. I also have Tourette's Syndrome, so that also covers the repetitive movement, so I guess I fit in with this.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Euclid » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:13 am

Shit, I don't wanna self diagnose or anything, but I think I have this. I may have to see a doctor haha.

Anyways, I'm really shocked to see that this is actually a weird thing. When this happens, I often try to find a room where I'm by myself and just ignore everything in that room and just walk everywhere back and forth while daydreaming in this similar fashion.
Click the Pic for TDD thread. (Credits to Sifter for making my profile, RB, and Sig.)

"Animate to entertain others, lad. That's the point of animation. Some are too blind to see it though
Being big-headed and sucking balls don't go well in pair."
-Flame
EuclidOffline
#NextComboKing2019
#NextComboKing2019

Postby Finom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:43 am

I feel more as if I'm always dreaming and never awake. Though it may just be because I can't open my eyes wowie I'm fucking racist to myself fite me
But daydreaming is a huge issue for me, and time becomes really fluid. Lately I've been doing it less just because there's more and more school work to occupy my time and forces me to daydream less, but I still do it from time to time. I don't have any of the major issues, but some shit still happens, especially when I'm reading
FinomOffline
im ded
VIP

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:52 pm

TolSKIE wrote:Shit, I don't wanna self diagnose or anything, but I think I have this. I may have to see a doctor haha.

Anyways, I'm really shocked to see that this is actually a weird thing. When this happens, I often try to find a room where I'm by myself and just ignore everything in that room and just walk everywhere back and forth while daydreaming in this similar fashion.

Haha, replace "walk" with "spin" and thats me lol. Once again am glad I'm not the only weirdo.

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Return to General Talk