Huge project of mine cancelled :/

Have a natter here with other users!

Huge project of mine cancelled :/

Postby Xonar26 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:27 am

Remember the project in my thread? Yeah that was +1300 frames.
Well now its all lost.
As per usual I havent found any solution and the ones ive found dont work. Getting used to loosing everything is a bit depressing tbh : /

So yeah. Its cancelled. Im sorry.
Xonar26Offline

Re: Huge project of mine cancelled :/

Postby SIFTER » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:51 am

Try to system restore, see if your PC can recover last working version of the file.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby Lord » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:16 pm

This happened to me before, didn't end well... :(
You can try putting a weight on the enter key, to fly through those errors. I heard it's worked before but it didn't in my case.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Youngster » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:44 pm

Shit that's depressing.
"

Currently working on:Something
YoungsterOffline
Noob
VIP

Postby Llama » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:34 pm

Unless you can get a good restore point like Sifter mentioned or absolutely luck out by holding down the enter key long enough, you can kiss that project good bye. Take this as a lesson to save whenever you can, every couple of frames if possible and to keep multiple copies of everything.
LlamaOffline
but why though
VIP

Postby Xonar26 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:15 am

Llama wrote:Unless you can get a good restore point like Sifter mentioned or absolutely luck out by holding down the enter key long enough, you can kiss that project good bye. Take this as a lesson to save whenever you can, every couple of frames if possible and to keep multiple copies of everything.

I save every frame lol.
The error wasnt because I lost the piv file or because I lost progress. I guess the piv just got corrupted. And I tried the pressing enter but it just removed all the frames : C
I tried system restore but the latest one was when I didnt even start the piv file yet. So yeh. Cringe :C
Xonar26Offline

Postby Michi » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:17 am

It happens sometimes, don't get discouraged though! Now you have a reason to make it again and even better than before
Spoiler:
Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston - The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
https://vk.com/doc-58650815_254012664?dl=c753708760f72ab566
Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit:
https://vk.com/doc176415392_222242886?hash=5e3a8f0a7cbfa92e91&dl=bc6e3d465d2f9e012c
Spoiler:
12 Principles of Animation summarized
http://vimeo.com/93206523
Aaron Hartline and Victor Navone, animators at Pixar Animation Studios and mentors at Animation Mentor, discuss timing and spacing tips and tricks
http://www.animationmentor.com/resources/webinars/timing-and-spacing/
Pixar's 22 rules to phenomenal storytelling
http://imgur.com/gallery/E8xe0

my thread
MichiOffline
I'm trash

Postby TθPS » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:32 am

flame's right, you have a chance to make the better one. And try to backup your piv. after you saved.
TθPSOffline
­Tthetaops
­Tthetaops

Postby Xonar26 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:58 am

Tops620 wrote:flame's right, you have a chance to make the better one. And try to backup your piv. after you saved.

Yeah, I will try to X P
Xonar26Offline

Postby Jojishi » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:51 pm

How do you make your stick-figures? Errors can happen if you make dynamic segments past 128 segments, apparently (OblivionFall explained this). You can get an invalid floating point error if you try moving the joint.

I make all the dynamic segments first (which is nowhere near 128) and then for all the static segments, you can go up to 255 no problem. I avoid putting dynamic segments on static "branches", so for example, making a leg static and then adding a dynamic foot probably isn't a good idea.

One way of backing up is to save a new file each time, so "Project backup1", "Project backup2", "Project backup 3" etc. If it's taking up a lot of space you can remove the older files (there's a date sorting option if you're unsure, and also be sure to actually check the dates).

You can also keep a third back-up, like saving to a hard-drive, external drive and then to cloud storage. A saving method could be saving each time to hard drive, saving once a week to external drive, saving monthly to a third place. But basically, you don't want to save to back-up every time you save.

If you're still worried, keep your current Pivot window open after saving, open another Pivot window (so you have two) and then on the one you just opened, open the file you saved recently to see if it works. If it doesn't, you can still save what you've made (although it won't be the Pivot file). Back in the window where your file is still accessible, click on the file drop down menu and click export animation, so then you'll at least be able to export an AVI or GIF file. If any errors pop up when exporting, simply click "ok" and it will keep exporting.

If you don't mind losing up to a week of progress you can just use the PIV back-up you had.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I've had similar things happen to me years ago, which is why I've learned so much from it. If anything it builds character and discipline, plus now you can make it better. :)
JojishiOffline
Retired

Return to General Talk