Future Pivot feature suggestions (e.g. bendy lines)

Have a natter here with other users!

Re: Future Pivot feature suggestions (e.g. bendy lines)

Postby SIFTER » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 am

I gave Peter the .piv to let him understand better what I was trying to say.
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby peterbone » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:21 am

Sifter wrote:I gave Peter the .piv to let him understand better what I was trying to say.

OK, so I think I get it now. The figures piled on top of each other are pure white and on a pure white background, so whatever the transparency of those figures is they should always be completely white and invisible because they're on a white background. But when the opacity is close to zero they appear dark. Why didn't you just say that? I will look into it. Thanks.
Edit: It's because of optimised code I wrote to do alpha blending which is a slight approximation. I'll see if it's possible to fix it without making it a lot slower. Normally you wouldn't notice it, but you do here because you have many figures piled on top of each other.
Last edited by peterbone on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
peterboneOffline
Honorary
Honorary

Postby SIFTER » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 am

(thumbsup
SIFTEROffline
Admin
Admin

Postby Царица Луна » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:12 pm

Nice Pants wrote:
peterbone wrote:
Nice Pants wrote:Is there any way to make it so Pivot doesn't do the transparency for you? It really limits what you can do when making complex backgrounds.

Please be more specific. What transparency are you talking about? Do you mean making image based backgrounds or figure based backgrounds?

I mean when I make an image and try to import it as a sprite, and then Pivot fucks everything up by making the left bottom pixel and removing that pixels color from the rest of the image. Really not needed, especially if I can make a complex image and save it with transparency with a program like Photoshop. Not to mention how much it limits Pivot.

I've been able to avoid this problem with my sprites by leaving a one pixel thick border of solid colour around the sprite.

I have another suggestion which I believe I have mentioned last year but I don't know if you responded to it/what your response was.
Is it possible to add a slider feature to .stks? Setting a line where a node could slide back and forth. This could be useful for, for example, making shotguns.
ImageImageImage
Царица ЛунаOffline
Луна
Луна

Postby peterbone » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:10 am

Krovavaya Luna wrote:I've been able to avoid this problem with my sprites by leaving a one pixel thick border of solid colour around the sprite.

Exactly. It's very easy to do this in paint before loading the sprite. This solution is described in the help file. It would be possible to support PNG transparency for sprites but would cause a lot more sprite lag than there is now.
http://pivotanimator.net/help/sprites.htm

Krovavaya Luna wrote:I have another suggestion which I believe I have mentioned last year but I don't know if you responded to it/what your response was.
Is it possible to add a slider feature to .stks? Setting a line where a node could slide back and forth. This could be useful for, for example, making shotguns.

Yeah, I remember this being suggested before, but I don't think it's worth the added complexity to the interface. The way it's been done before is by using 2 long 0 thickness connecting lines that approximate a sliding effect. See attached.
Attachments
slider.zip
Sliding segment
(198 Bytes) Downloaded 188 times
peterboneOffline
Honorary
Honorary

Postby Lord » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:41 am

That's very clever, wonder why I've never thought of using that before in my shotguns. :/
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Царица Луна » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:54 pm

peterbone wrote:
Krovavaya Luna wrote:I have another suggestion which I believe I have mentioned last year but I don't know if you responded to it/what your response was.
Is it possible to add a slider feature to .stks? Setting a line where a node could slide back and forth. This could be useful for, for example, making shotguns.[/color]

Yeah, I remember this being suggested before, but I don't think it's worth the added complexity to the interface. The way it's been done before is by using 2 long 0 thickness connecting lines that approximate a sliding effect. See attached.

I remember someone using that method before but it is tedious to extend a particular line long enough (of about 1000 pixels or longer) so that it appears that a part is sliding instead of rotating. Adding an actual sliding feature would be helpful.
ImageImageImage
Царица ЛунаOffline
Луна
Луна

Postby Caleb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:34 pm

You can also just make a line that you stretch out, it's not hard at all.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby peterbone » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:07 am

Caleb wrote:You can also just make a line that you stretch out, it's not hard at all.

Good point. Why didn't I think of that. That way you have no rotation and don't have to make long segments. I guess you'd have to be careful about not moving the slider into or away from the thing it's sliding against though.
peterboneOffline
Honorary
Honorary

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Here is a suggestion I've had for a while. Lots of times we use really complicated fullbody stks like this and its hard to use them in different animations. Maybe there could be an option of saving multiple stks together. Idk if it cna be done, but they could even keep the same color (which is sort of pointless).

Sorry if this idea was said already
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby Gary » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:14 pm

I have a suggestions. You should try to implement the feature to keep the same custom colours every time you reopen an animation. It's a bit annoying to have to try and recreate the colours if needed if you save and reopen an anim.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby peterbone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:23 am

Ray wrote:Here is a suggestion I've had for a while. Lots of times we use really complicated fullbody stks like this and its hard to use them in different animations. Maybe there could be an option of saving multiple stks together. Idk if it cna be done, but they could even keep the same color (which is sort of pointless).

Sorry if this idea was said already

Pivot 4.2 will have copy and paste figures. So you can keep your joined figures in a 1 frame Piv file and copy them into an animation whenever you want. Pivot 5 will also probably have multi-coloured figures. That's a nice figure. Interesting to see what you do with that.

Gary wrote:I have a suggestions. You should try to implement the feature to keep the same custom colours every time you reopen an animation. It's a bit annoying to have to try and recreate the colours if needed if you save and reopen an anim.

Yeah, that's been suggested before but I didn't write it down and forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.
peterboneOffline
Honorary
Honorary

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:34 am

peterbone wrote:Pivot 4.2 will have copy and paste figures. So you can keep your joined figures in a 1 frame Piv file and copy them into an animation whenever you want. Pivot 5 will also probably have multi-coloured figures. That's a nice figure. Interesting to see what you do with that.

By the copy/paste feature do you mean copying and pasting frames or stick figures? If you do mean stick figures then that'd be ery cool and helpful as well.

Thanks, it was made by Wafflesmgee
The Team | The Rules | My Thread
"If anime is what makes animation big again I fear for the future." ~Caleb

Shadow Lith Survivor
RayOffline
Mindless Soul
Forum Helper

Postby peterbone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:49 am

Ray wrote:
peterbone wrote:Pivot 4.2 will have copy and paste figures. So you can keep your joined figures in a 1 frame Piv file and copy them into an animation whenever you want. Pivot 5 will also probably have multi-coloured figures. That's a nice figure. Interesting to see what you do with that.

By the copy/paste feature do you mean copying and pasting frames or stick figures? If you do mean stick figures then that'd be ery cool and helpful as well.

Thanks, it was made by Wafflesmgee

Yes, copy and paste selected figures. This is already done. Pivot 4.2 beta will be out this year hopefully. I plan to make a video of the new features this weekend.
peterboneOffline
Honorary
Honorary

Postby Mori » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:47 pm

Hello peter, I really wanted to talk to you someday, and this is time to.

Well, I heard that you will add twinning to pivot, is it true??
MoriOffline
PASS PASS PASS
PASS PASS PASS

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk