Re: Movies

Postby Stickid » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:10 am

well shoot, i have to see it now
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Daniël » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:56 am

Alright, I'm currently downloading Jodorowsky's Dune, let's hope it's as good as you people say.

Also, I watched 127 Hours yesterday, it was a very decent movie. Also visually very appealing. The whole thing with the couch kind of brought it down, because it didn't really seem to fit in, but I really enjoyed some of James Franco solo-talk moments.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Peebles » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Daniël wrote:Alright, I'm currently downloading Jodorowsky's Dune, let's hope it's as good as you people say.

it's great. gotta have a really open mine for the guy's movies though. he's nuts and he knows it. but super likable. watch a film or two of his after you see the documentary in order to really understand what kind of movie he would have made. it also helps if you've seen David Lynch's Dune. which is infamously bad.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Daniël » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Alright, I'll try keep those things in mind.

Also, I'm gonna see Nightcrawler tonight, let's hope it lives up to its critiques and not to its shitty name.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Peebles » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:51 pm

Daniël wrote:Alright, I'll try keep those things in mind.

Also, I'm gonna see Nightcrawler tonight, let's hope it lives up to its critiques and not to its shitty name.

Nightcrawler is a great name. that's what they call them.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Tosh » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:47 pm

Just saw Memento, great fucking movie.
ToshOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby Daniël » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:43 pm

Some movies I've seen recently:
Submarine: a cute movie that definitely has a unique kind of attraction. 7/10
Nightcrawler; a lot better than expected, very original movie and the name makes a lot more sense now. 8/10
Everything is Illuminated: premium film, very funny at some points, while very melancholic at others. 6/10
Breakfest at Tiffany's: a very fun romantic movie with the stunning Aurdrey Hepburn. 7/10
What if: cute romantic movie, but not that exceptional and the bad guy only seemed bad because he was portrayed so by the protagonist. 6/10
Whiplash: great movie with great music in which J.K. Simmons puts down a more than excellent performance. 8/10
Sucker Punch: cheesy movie with very little storyline that really boils down to hot chicks fighting. 4/10
The Drop: interesting movie and at times funny, that has a very sympathetic main character. 7/10

Wanted to watch Jodorowsky's Dune, but it didn't seem like the first movie of him that I should watch, so I decided to watch The Holy Mountain sometime instead.

Edit: Yeah, Memento was pretty awesome.
Last edited by Daniël on Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Spock » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Epyks wrote:Just saw Memento, great fucking movie.

Yes it fucking is. It's on my highly selective wall of movie posters so it has to be great.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Mitch » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:27 am

Saw Fury today, lacked a bit of direction at times which was good and bad, a lot of the events felt very spontaneous which added to the war theme but it got old fast. Decent at best.

6/10ish
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Daniël » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:28 am

Damn, I really liked Fury. There was a fuckton of active war, but it definitely kept me entertained throughout the whole movie.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Shiftor » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:05 am

I watched The Taking of Deborah Logan yesterday, and I was surprised to see that it was actually halfway decent. Another cheesy horror movie, but it wasn't downright garbage so I guess it's got that going for it.
My Pivot Thread
I make music. If you want to listen to it, click HERE
ShiftorOffline

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:21 am

Shiftor wrote:I watched The Taking of Deborah Logan yesterday, and I was surprised to see that it was actually halfway decent. Another cheesy horror movie, but it wasn't downright garbage so I guess it's got that going for it.

Yeah, it had it's moments. Better than most found footage horrors.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Daniël » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Some movies I've seen recently:
Horns: Definitely a very enjoyable movie and they really made clear how attached Ig was to his murdered girlfriend. Though I feel like they kind of went overboard on the metaphors on 'the devil is a fallen angel' and towards the end it started getting really fiction. But over-all it had a pretty nice tone throughout the movie with good humor. 6/10.
John Wick: Cliché story that gets compromised with bad-ass action. If you watch the trailer you've seen the movie, but it's still fun to watch the whole thing. 6/10.
Trash: Cool movie with a Slumdog Millionaire vibe. 7/10.
The Holy Mountain: Yeah, not my kind of movie. 4/10.
Where the Wild Things Are: Even though I dig child-wonder movies, all those monsters, especially Carol, seemed like very unsympathetic douches. Would rather watch Moonrise Kingdom a second time. 6/10.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Mat » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Saw Nightcrawler yesterday. One of the best movies I've seen this year. I'd highly recommend it.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Peebles » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:34 am

Daniël wrote:
Trash: Cool movie with a Slumdog Millionaire vibe. 7/10.
The Holy Mountain: Yeah, not my kind of movie. 4/10.
Where the Wild Things Are: Even though I dig child-wonder movies, all those monsters, especially Carol, seemed like very unsympathetic douches. Would rather watch Moonrise Kingdom a second time. 6/10.

Could you elaborate on Trash? saw the trailer and I need some more backing to see it because it looks predictable. like a moral no brainer. plus I hated Slumdog Millionaire. it was a muddled film that tried to cut deep but in the end turned into some sort of meaningless and slightly offensive film with an ending that you knew would happen from the beginning. destined to fail from the get-go. too safe (if that makes sense) and yeah I get it's supposed to be a fantasy-esque feel good tale but it comes off as a shallow attempt to exploit how bad the poverty and violence is over there. But in the end, he makes some money so all that bad stuff is okay. cool. his hardships and struggles earned him money and the girl. what a materialistic ending. always like a westerner. film might have been a tad better if all of the questions didn't happen to line up with his life's events in chronological order.

Holy Mountain I can understand. You might come around.

I thought Where the Wild Things Are was a gem. I love how Jonze made it into a darker tale of learning to behave (so to speak). Made the ending really impactful. I genuinely felt like Max learned something upon leaving the island.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

PreviousNext

Return to Media