Movies

Post your media interests here.

Re: Movies

Postby Grams » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:28 am

Stickid wrote:
GTSYankee wrote:
Spock wrote:they split it into two movies again there really wasn't enough plot in the book for it to be split into two movies

I have a problem with that as well. Just a scheme to make more money.

isn't the entire hollywood industry just a scheme to make more money?

The Hollywood industry is indeed a scheme to make money. But, intentionally going about some proceeding that will most likely displease the consumers just in an effort to make more money is what I have a problem with. I suppose you could argue it's the consumer's fault for "falling" for it, but if we're exclusively discussing movies, you can't exactly know what the deal is before seeing it.

Stickid wrote:people complain the films aren't completely true to the books. obviously films are much shorter how can they possibly be true to the books? now everybody's complaining there's TOO much film for the books

I mean, yeah. If it falls within in one of those two extremes, it'll be criticized for it. Balance is good. The first two Hunger Games did a wonderful job of that. I haven't heard anyone complain about how those two either A. Lacked vital material from the books or B. Complained it was too long/short in relation to the books. Also, I can say for myself (having read the books) they represented the two books virtually as accurately as they could, due to a film being much shorter in length.

With all that being said, I just don't think Mockingjay needs two parts from what I recall from the book. Same with The Hobbit. If you ask anyone who's read the book, they will most likely tell you 3 parts with each part being roughly 2 and a half hours is too much.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Stickid » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:13 am

Peebles wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

i, i just don't care for them :'(
i mean i've seen them and all that, but, but
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby TheRavenHouse » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Stickid wrote:i, i just don't care for them :'(
i mean i've seen them and all that, but, but

Anything else connected to my soul you'd like to verbally rape?
TheRavenHouseOffline
A Lot Of Acid
A Lot Of Acid

Postby Spock » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly finally the other day. Mostly because it's on the top 10 on imdb. I can't say it deserves that, but it was definitely the best western I've seen, meaning it was decent. Of course it was wildly absurd but hey, it was fun I guess. I also discovered that Clint Eastwood was a much better actor when he was younger, which was a relief because I absolutely hated him in the few of his recent ones I've seen.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Stickid » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:43 pm

^ agree completely, i loved Good Bad Ugly as well

i really need to go on a spaghetti western binge
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Tosh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Guys, what are your opinions on Cabin in the Woods?
ToshOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Epyks wrote:Guys, what are your opinions on Cabin in the Woods?

I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Nothing spectacular though.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Alca » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:16 pm

A film I watched not so long ago was 'Dead Man's Shoes,' which is a relatively unknown British thriller. It's seriously a masterpiece. There's some really interesting psychological elements and the twist at the end was absolute genius. Definitively in my list of top movies. Paddy Considine is an amazing actor.

Also watched The Day the Earth Caught Fire. Pretty good. it's wroth watching.

Haven't really watched any recent films lately though, mostly been watching older stuff.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Stickid » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:39 pm

i love it. it's a real genre-bender with a satisfying twist and so much more depth than most slasher flicks
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Jojishi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Give it a go. It's best to watch it without knowing too much. It's very scary, I'll just leave it at that. ;)
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Peebles » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Cabin in the Woods was decent, yeah. It was a deconstruction of sorts or cliche horror films and it really worked. hated the last 5 seconds.
6/10

and The Good The Bad The Ugly is a classic. One of those few films that deserves everything it gets (praise wise). what an adventure.
9/10
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Jojishi wrote:

Give it a go. It's best to watch it without knowing too much. It's very scary, I'll just leave it at that. ;)

Spoiler:
Are we thinking of the same movie? I found it funny, not scary at all.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Spock » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:18 am

I haven't see in, but I've also heard Cabin in the Woods wasn't scary. I've also heard good things though.

That being said, it would probably scare me so I'll probably never watch it.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Grams » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:54 am

Stand By Me is a great classic. One of the few films with tolerable adolescent protagonists. The plot is pretty unique, and the acting (considering they're kids) falls just short of phenomenal. They genuinely feel like your friends you had at 12 years old.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Peebles » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:17 pm

just saw Interstellar. and I can't say I liked it. The first half was just incredibly clunky, had poor dialogue, and poor editing. The ending was good minus the last 10 minutes of it (should have ended earlier). The second half in general was mostly well done. the movie was a gripping and emotional story; was a real journey and adventure. there's a lot to say about this film that would require me to put it in spoilers, but i'm not going to do that (im a lazy bastard), so instead see the movie. it's an essential of 2014.

5/10 or 6/10. the movie has to sit with me a little longer.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

PreviousNext

Return to Media