Annie May & Mango

Post your media interests here.

Re: Annie May & Mango

Postby Strider » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:07 pm

And to add onto THAT, I'd like to point out, that if you value animation production and good animation and consistent quality highly when you watch your anime, don't watch Aria. It's a fantastic premise, but the animation is so fucking shit. Sure, it was a small company yadda yadda, but there are so many things wrong with the animation regardless. I've made it to episode 7, and I seriously can't keep watching for a while.
StriderOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Yogurt » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:59 am

i just can't comprehend why people would drop a show based on animation alone
"And she walked in a third time and she was just fingering his ass shes such a fucking genki girl."
-Mitch
YogurtOffline
reitred staff
reitred staff

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:49 am

I'd rather read it as manga then. If an anime has shit animation, what's the point.
Also, I fucking hated the cat's design and sound effects.
StriderOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby tenks » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:06 am

coming from a guy who likes Ninja Slayer, that's a pretty rich thing to say, wouldn't you think?
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:09 am

You clearly haven't watched Ninja Slayer then. It was animated the way it was for a reason. Stylization =/= bad animation. Hal Film Maker tried to do something specific with their animation on Aria and failed, Trigger tried to do something specific with their animation on Ninja Slayer, and succeeded.
StriderOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:41 am

You could make a statement for anything being stylized dude, you don't talk in an objective context of "bad animation" then 2 seconds later say something like that. It's always pretty iffy to talk about things that are "self aware" especially with studio trigger of all things.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby tenks » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 am

Strider wrote:You clearly haven't watched Ninja Slayer then. It was animated the way it was for a reason. Stylization =/= bad animation. Hal Film Maker tried to do something specific with their animation on Aria and failed, Trigger tried to do something specific with their animation on Ninja Slayer, and succeeded.

Oh, don't worry I watched it, i dropped it after episode 14 or something but I definitely watched it. Not sure where the stylization in 'we're doing something like Inferno Cop but this time its 4:3' is and not sure what this 'something specific' is, that Trigger was trying to accomplish, other than HAHAHA HEY GUYS WE'RE SAVING ANIME AGAIN AND AGAIN? OH WHAT? NOBODY FUCKING ASKED US TOO NOR DOES IT NEEDS SAVING? WELL HAVE THIS TRASHY SHORT WE USED LOTS OF TWEENS TO SHOW HOW LITTLE OF A FUCK WE GIVE HAHA WHAT A GREAT MODERN PIECE OF ART. Don't get me wrong, I liked Inferno Cop but with Ninja Slayer they just went overboard with everything and not in a good way. Shit is shit even if its selfaware that its shit.

I liked the Melt Banana ED tho, I give them that.
tenksOffline
花

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:52 am

Mitch wrote:You could make a statement for anything being stylized dude, you don't talk in an objective context of "bad animation" then 2 seconds later say something like that. It's always pretty iffy to talk about things that are "self aware" especially with studio trigger of all things.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Aria's bad animation is bad because of the expectation for it to be regular animation, based on the source manga. Ninja Slayer's animation is good because the erratic, repetitive style fits the style of its source. If Ninja Slayer was an original production, I'd be more inclined to agree, but with a miniscule amount of research into its source material, you should be able to see how perfectly the animation fits.

tenks wrote:Oh, don't worry I watched it, i dropped it after episode 14 or something but I definitely watched it. Not sure where the stylization in 'we're doing something like Inferno Cop but this time its 4:3' is and not sure what this 'something specific' is, that Trigger was trying to accomplish
Read above. The stylization of the animation (eg. the character designs, tween animation etc) comes from Ninja Slayer being an adaptation of a LN released through Twitter. They really couldn't have made the adaptation any better without scrapping all the original fight scenes, which would have made it a completely different thing.
Again, as I said before, Ninja Slayer has good animation in the sense that Trigger accomplished exactly what they set out to do. They had a concept and they worked with it. But with Aria, the bad parts come from low budget, low effort and not because they intended it to be as such. It doesn't make sense for Aria to have this bad animation, since the mangas are beautiful and the story would benefit greatly from good visuals to go along with the calm and beautiful setting. But they fucked it over with their awfully lackluster animation.

Basically, you can think what you want about Ninja Slayer, but it's a completely different problem than Aria. You're basically dodging the issue.

Edit: Should be noted, that (as I also said in my first post), this is only really a problem if you value animation quality highly when you watch anime. Not everyone does, and that's fine, but for me and others who consider the visuals very important when watching anime, I was just trying to say that Aria might not be the most enjoyable series.
StriderOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby tenks » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:18 am

I know the story behind the Ninja Slayer adaptation but what has that to do with anything, the source material is trash (even if its on purpose) so the anime is trash too. I don't see how making trash into animated trash is an accomplishment, really.
It's a good adaptation in the sense that it's just as bad as the source material, wow great.
Aria animation made a great source material into a still enjoyable anime and that's somehow worse than making trash into trash. I don't get you artsies I'm sorry.

Pretty much the only reason why I even brought up this Ninja Slayer ordeal, is because of you raving on about valueing high animation quality and production value, none of which is present in Ninja Slayer.
Last edited by tenks on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tenksOffline
花

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:21 am

Welp, there's not really anything else to say about it then.

tenks wrote:Pretty much the only reason why I even brought up this Ninja Slayer ordeal, is because of you raving on about valueing high animation quality and production value, none of which is present in Ninja Slayer.

I already explained, but I find the animation quality in Ninja Slayer to be of much higher quality than in Aria. It works, Aria's doesn't.

AAAAAAANYWAAAY. What are you all watching this season then? I got around to watching the first two seasons of Yuru Yuri, so now I'm gonna be watching the third season of that. That and OP Man are the only ones I'm watching this season it seems.
StriderOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Alca » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:31 am

Strider wrote:And to add onto THAT, I'd like to point out, that if you value animation production and good animation and consistent quality highly when you watch your anime, don't watch Aria. It's a fantastic premise, but the animation is so fucking shit. Sure, it was a small company yadda yadda, but there are so many things wrong with the animation regardless. I've made it to episode 7, and I seriously can't keep watching for a while.

I wasn't going to bother replying, but seeing as though Aria is one of my favourite series I feel compelled to give my 5 cents anyway, even if this discussion is already over. I noticed you gave Neon Genesis Evangelion a 9 on MAL. Strange, because NGE had neither good animation or consistent quality. Seems rather hypocritical. Care to defend that?

As you've said, the premise is fantastic and it does pretty much everything else brilliantly, so why would you condemn an entire anime on one facet alone? I honestly feel sorry for people who are that pretentious. The animation also gets better throughout Aria the Natural and especially Aria the Origination, which was done beautifully. If you can't give it a chance then it's your loss, because it's probably one of the greatest series in the entire Slice of Life genre. I'd rather watch a brilliantly directed anime with flawed animation than a brilliantly animated pile of crap, but that's just me. A good anime is made up of so many different aspects. Animation quality doesn't count for anything without good directing to back it up.

So yeah, I'd reccomend the Aria series to anyone who isn't a pretentious git, but that's just me. The recommendation wasn't even directed towards you, I was just bouncing off yours. Besides, you haven't even finished watching it. I don't really think you should be commenting on it when you've only seen 7 episodes, out of a series which has around 52 altogether. As someone who's seen the entire thing I was just giving Grams an honest recommendation, and the animation does get better, believe me. I'm not asking you to like it, but if you're going to knock it, give a more substantial reason that the "animation is so fucking shit."

Well whatever, as for the current season I'm watching Noragami Aragoto at the moment which is pretty entertaining.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Grams » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:04 pm

uh yeah heh thanks guys

Watching NNB Repeat at the moment, just as wonderful as NNB. I'll add Aria and possibly Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou as well. Always up for a slice of life.

From this season, Noragami Aragoto and Owari no Seraph s2. Quite excited for both. I should probably pick up a couple more from this season.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:32 pm

If you aren't watching One Punch Man definitely pick it up.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Strider » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:26 pm

Because I have nothing better to do, and this thread isn't exactly bursting in discussion, here goes:
Alca wrote:I wasn't going to bother replying, but seeing as though Aria is one of my favourite series I feel compelled to give my 5 cents anyway, even if this discussion is already over. I noticed you gave Neon Genesis Evangelion a 9 on MAL. Strange, because NGE had neither good animation or consistent quality. Seems rather hypocritical. Care to defend that?

Neon Genesis Evangelion has a lot of amazing animation, and no blatant animation errors that I can recall. It's not incredible by today's standards, but it's damn well a whole lot better than Aria. Show me the worst animation in Neon Genesis Evangelion as a whole, and I will show you a sequence from every single episode of Aria that I've watched that's a whole lot worse.
You might be right about consistency, but the thing about Aria's animation is that it's pretty consistently bad.

Alca wrote:As you've said, the premise is fantastic and it does pretty much everything else brilliantly, so why would you condemn an entire anime on one facet alone? I honestly feel sorry for people who are that pretentious. The animation also gets better throughout Aria the Natural and especially Aria the Origination, which was done beautifully. If you can't give it a chance then it's your loss, because it's probably one of the greatest series in the entire Slice of Life genre. I'd rather watch a brilliantly directed anime with flawed animation than a brilliantly animated pile of crap, but that's just me. A good anime is made up of so many different aspects. Animation quality doesn't count for anything without good directing to back it up.
You know what, I probably agree. I really want to like Aria, I really do. I wish I didn't value animation and visuals as highly as I do. I think my plan going forward is to watch it on half a screen while doing something else, so my attention isn't 100% on the bad parts. That, or I'll just read the manga.
StriderOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Yogurt » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Grams wrote:uh yeah heh thanks guys

Watching NNB Repeat at the moment, just as wonderful as NNB. I'll add Aria and possibly Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou as well. Always up for a slice of life.

From this season, Noragami Aragoto and Owari no Seraph s2. Quite excited for both. I should probably pick up a couple more from this season.

one

punch

man

dont worry, the animation is good heh
"And she walked in a third time and she was just fingering his ass shes such a fucking genki girl."
-Mitch
YogurtOffline
reitred staff
reitred staff

PreviousNext

Return to Media