Hip-Hop/ Rap Discussion Thread

Post your media interests here.

Re: Hip-Hop/ Rap Discussion Thread

Postby Shad Shadson » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:40 pm

I'm gonna bring up a couple of things that need to be addressed...

MCToast wrote:Hiphop Isn't a genre...

You're right, but you're wrong. You're right that hip-hop isn't necessarily a 'genre'. It's a culture, b-boys and that shit. Alright cool. However, hip-hop MUSIC is a genre of music, and that's what we're talking about here, so in the context of this thread you're wrong. You're playing with semantics, and while I'm generally a fan, I'm not in this case.

7Th Day wrote:Uh,uh, no racism, but white people stay on yo side.

What the fuck? This is just bigoted as fuck, I don't know how to say it any other way. The hip-hop culture was based on expression no matter the race or the person behind it. Eminem is one of the most well known and respected rappers period, and the dude's white as fuck. Not to mention people like Brother Ali,Aesop Rock,Atmosphere, etc. And then there's Le Macklemore XD of course.

You're either blowing a bad rap song made by a bunch of NG idiots way out of proportion (it's not meant to be taken seriously, it's about fucking TAX RETURNS. Are you serious right now?) or you're being bigoted as fuck. Take your pick, bud.

thebiscotticakeman wrote:
so guys im kinda new to some rap any of u guys have any rap songs that i can listen to ?

It depends on what you like. I can only albums, you can probably look those up on youtube (seriously shit is everywhere).
Of course, the albums from the link I gave on my first post should help you, those are CLASSIC albums, and it even helped me find new shit to listen to.

Open the spoiler to see some of my picks

Spoiler:
phpBB [video]

Lupe Fiasco is good. He's conscious and he has amazing wordplay if you can keep up, but it doesn't necessarily feel preachy or soapbox-y. This is one of Lupe's mainstream songs, but I still REALLY like it. If you like that check out other songs from Food and Liquor or The Cool.

phpBB [video]

Anyone who's read my old Rap/Hip-Hop thread knows I fucking JIVE with chance's Acid Rap Mixtape. It's everywhere musically, but I love it. I've currently been feeling Acid Rain, but this changes like every week pretty much. I won't be surprised if you don't like Acid Rap though; it's definitely not for everyone and chance's voice has pushed people away (like my friend)

phpBB [video]

I'd be an idiot not to recommend the Wu-Tang Clan. This is the first song from their first album. This album is a classic for a reason; I had a hard time picking ONE song to recommend. The RZA's production has been the sticking point of the Wu-Tang Clan and pretty much ALL their solo albums pretty much since their inception.

phpBB [video]

The Pharcyde, while generally pretty praised for their first album, generally don't get much after that. They're pretty good, and while they HAVE kind of fallen off, the first 2 albums are still really good and if you become a huge fan you can check out the next two albums. I actually had a chance to see these guys not too long ago but because I didn't have the money and had no one to go with, I just didn't go :/. Also of note is J Dilla's production, but if you're new to hip-hop I'd say not to worry about Dilla too much. Just know Dilla's fucking everywhere and I'd say he in a way created what hip hop sounds like today.

phpBB [video]

Outkast. What can I say? It's Outkast. Andre 3000 and Big Boi were pretty much the 'big thing' along with eminem for hip hop around late 90s early 2000s around here, and for good reason. Outkast is amazing. All of the albums are pretty good. I think people like Aquemini the most? I'm not sure about that but you could pretty much listen to any outkast album and not be like 'hey this is bad' I think if you like them.

phpBB [video]

I'd also be an idiot not to recommend DOOM. Operation:Doomsday and Madvilliany are basically monsters of hip-hop. DOOM is a fucking beast when it comes to production, lyicism, etc. Madlib too, but again don't worry about him until later. (Madvilliany is basically DOOM working with Madlib, Madlib's good). I don't really know what to say. It's DOOM, everybody I know respects this fucker and he's basically "where do I start with Hip-Hop 101".

So yeah, There's my starter list (it's probably pretty bad but I wanted to get a wide variety and get you started on some amazingly talented and well known artists.)

ALSO, I'll update this in my first post as well, but here's a more newer and refined hip-hop ESSENTIALS list for both classic and modern titles from r/Hiphopheads! If you're into hip-hop I urge you to at least check it out once in a while for news; maybe you'll even find some new song you like!

http://goo.gl/LGgm4U <- Classic Essentials
http://goo.gl/w9J1mA <- Modern Essentials

The Black Mamba wrote:I haven't listened to Lupe in FOREEEVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Don't know why, I used to really like him. I respect your taste in music man, I probably listen to a lot of the same artists as you. I have a wide variety though, so yeah. I love Schoolboy Q, I've been listening to him a lot lately. I have stuff ranging from Gangstarr to Lil Wayne to Mos Def, I'd definitely choose 2 Pac and KiD CuDi over all my other artists If I had to choose. Rap has become a little less generic and tasteless and artist have started to release genuine music explaining their life more, but these two have done it from the beginning and I love their music for that. I love both of their unique sounds too, I can't wait for KiD CuDi to release new stuff and Pac's old music will always sound good to me. I'm always looking forward to his stuff can't wait for Man On The Moon III.

Fuck trap music.

Hey thanks man, I respect that. Yeah I love Lupe. Not a fan of Lil Wayne but hey I can respect that he's obviously doing something right if he's as big as he is.

I generally don't like Trap music/beats either, but fuck me if I don't jam with a couple of Flocka or Chief Keef songs. I always call Chief Keef my 'Guilty Pleasure' because there's NO REASON I should like him but I really like a lot of Finally Rich for some reason. *shrug*.

I dunno about CuDi. I was feeling him and then Indicud happened and I dunno anymore. I really vibe with some of the songs on that album but others are TOTAL MISSES. I Hope MOTM III is nearly as good as the first two, because that shit was amazing.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby MCToast » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:46 pm

The genre is rap, not hiphop music.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Shad Shadson » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:50 pm

MCToast wrote:The genre is rap, not hiphop music.

Wrong, Once again. You don't seem to know the first thing about Hip-Hop/Rap, do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music

Wikiped wrote:While often used to refer to rapping, "hip hop" more properly denotes the practice of the entire subculture.[9][10] The term hip hop music is sometimes used synonymously with the term rap music,[2][5] though rapping is not a required component of hip hop music; the genre may also incorporate other elements of hip hop culture, including DJing and scratching, beatboxing, and instrumental tracks.[11][12]

IE: J Dilla, Madlib.

Plus many MCs PERSONALLY feel there's a big different between 'Hip-Hop' and 'Rap'. Doom talks about this in his early music to a degree.

If you're gonna argue with someone, I'd recommend you pick an easier target.

But, since this is supposed to be a discussion thread, if you'd rather continue to trample all over something for a semantic minuscule reason, I'd rather you do it via PM, and not derail the thread further, thanks.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby MCToast » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Discussion about hiphop and rap is derailing?

But I suppose you're right, Wikipedia is a 100% accurate source for information. It's most definitely not rap and beats.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Gage » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:08 pm

MCToast wrote:The genre is rap, not hiphop music.

I am pretty sure it's Breakbeat
Rap is a poetry, what you can do in Breakbeat or what ever kind of song you feel like rapping to that wouldn't be Brakbeat
GageOffline
VIP

Postby MCToast » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Breakbeat isn't about the breaks, and beats is just my imagination. Sorry : (((

KRS one is full of shit too.
http://youtu.be/MYf5FXyoa-A?t=3m45s

Fucking idiots...
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Cowboy Memebop » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:25 pm

lol there are probably white people who know their hip hop a lot better than a good majority of colored people (that i know at least). so ya that's pretty ignorant

Shad Shadson wrote:
The Black Mamba wrote:Fuck trap music.

I generally don't like Trap music/beats either, but fuck me if I don't jam with a couple of Flocka or Chief Keef songs. I always call Chief Keef my 'Guilty Pleasure' because there's NO REASON I should like him but I really like a lot of Finally Rich for some reason. *shrug*.

forreal? idk but the memphis/south trap scene has really been growin on me. just goes so hord imo

not sure where the argument about hip hop being a genre is going but u guys need 2relax
Cowboy MemebopOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby MCToast » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:43 pm

I love memphis rap, it's been a huge thing in my country for years now, Tommy wright and whatnot.
phpBB [video]

Some finnish ''imitations'':
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Because clonk.
phpBB [video]

https://soundcloud.com/plvnktxn/evg72k7anv63
https://soundcloud.com/t-m-p-l-s-t-r-7/ ... -i-k-o-s-k

Also a mixtape:
http://plvnktxn.bandcamp.com/album/mixt ... -beginning

I haven't heard any good trap songs, but I'm sure there's plenty.
Last edited by MCToast on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Gage » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Slushie wrote:

lol there are probably white people who know their hip hop a lot better than a good majority of colored people (that i know at least). so ya that's pretty ignorant

Shad Shadson wrote:

forreal? idk but the memphis/south trap scene has really been growin on me. just goes so hord imo

not sure where the argument about hip hop being a genre is going but u guys need 2relax

http://youtu.be/Lh9AdU3Dw4Q
GageOffline
VIP

Postby The Black Mamba » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:14 pm

Slushie wrote:
Shad Shadson wrote:

If you're into it then I wouldn't have a problem with you, I just never heard a trap song with meaning to it, you know? It's just the same stuff by different artists, but I can't criticize trap music too much because I've only listened to a handful of artists.

And yeah, there's no reason to start something in this thread guys, just discuss your personal taste.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Cowboy Memebop » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:21 pm

p sure the premise of trap music is not to have a lot of meaning or depth. flocka forreal said that his stuff was party music
Cowboy MemebopOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby Kap'n Krunch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Been listening to a lot of stuff recently, mostly the new madlib x gibbs album. But yeah I listen to a lot of DOOM, run the jewels, Danny brown, TDE (Mostly Kendrick, Soul and Isiah Rashad). I've been fucking with the flatbush zombies mixtapes as well along with joey and all that beast coast shit.
Kap'n KrunchOffline
I didn't pay4 shit
I didn't pay4 shit

Postby Gage » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Slushie wrote:p sure the premise of trap music is not to have a lot of meaning or depth. flocka forreal said that his stuff was party music

Original Trap music was made just to have some "shits and giggles" type of lyrics, they new kind was made to be more like NU Dubstep with out the "Yes oh my Go- bwoop bowp beep toot" At least from all the new stuff that I have heard, but not it seems to be going more in depth with more master and not have those shitty "build-ups" leading to a dribble type thing with 808s and 909s terribly mixed in together

Got into Ta-Ku and Flume, they are pretty cool, although Ta-Ku's new shit is really shit and it seems like he isn't even trying
GageOffline
VIP

Postby The Black Mamba » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:59 am

Slushie wrote:p sure the premise of trap music is not to have a lot of meaning or depth. flocka forreal said that his stuff was party music

oh, in that case forget it. I never knew he said that.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Kap'n Krunch » Sun May 04, 2014 11:40 pm

New KRIT, figured it was worth a post

phpBB [video]
Kap'n KrunchOffline
I didn't pay4 shit
I didn't pay4 shit

PreviousNext

Return to Media