Movies

Post your media interests here.

Re: Movies

Postby Stickid » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:01 am

phpBB [video]

my facebook has been blowing up with the trailer for Jurassic World. just me or does it look like total shit?
the jurassic movies have gotten worse as they go but this one seems like a bad joke
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Peebles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:52 am

bad joke. absolute trash. way to go, you genetically modified an extinct creature after managing to recreate dinosaurs from blood and you decide to make a THEME PARK out of them and then you couldn't even be careful enough to make sure it doesn't get out. chris pratt riding with the raptors at the end had me laughing.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby TheRavenHouse » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:04 am

Yeah, yup. That looks pretty stupid. But I mean, it looks fun if nothing else. It's not like the original plots made sense, this one is... more retarded, sure, and the actors seem a good deal worse. But eh, probably wouldn't be bored watching it at least, you know?
TheRavenHouseOffline
A Lot Of Acid
A Lot Of Acid

Postby Mitch » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:10 am

I mean if i saw what looks like a great white shark get eaten in 1 bite i'de probably be too uncomfortable to even cheer, plus the cunt ruined about 10k worth of electronics there looks shitty bad movie.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Mat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:17 am

Looks laughably bad. I'll probably go see it anyways though for shits and giggles.
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby Stickid » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:35 am

i'm about to go full grumpy nerd right since i have nothing better to do

- naive younger brother contrasts with bored older brother that has a hoodie and headphones to show how disinterested he is
- parents are hip, careless and sarcastic
- the actors that play the parents are both real-life comedians
- the "gyrospheres" are a horrible replacement for the original automated jeeps
- the live goat in the original has just been replaced by a dead shark
- people are recording everything on their phones?
- i love chris pratt but this is just not his role. his dialogue is easily the worst thing in the trailer
- the scratches on the wall look like sidewalk chalk
- slow piano theme (i guess i should be grateful they didn't do prometheus wails or inception horns)
- laughable raptor biking

this whole trailer seriously seems like a parody sketch. at best it's just a terrible trailer, i hope it doesn't end up a terrible movie
but yes, i'll probably still end up seeing it. damn you, hollywood
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Daniël » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 am

I think Jurassic World is gonna be shit, but I'll probably enjoy it anyway, since it's so stupid.
Peebles wrote:just saw Interstellar. and I can't say I liked it. The first half was just incredibly clunky, had poor dialogue, and poor editing. The ending was good minus the last 10 minutes of it (should have ended earlier). The second half in general was mostly well done. the movie was a gripping and emotional story; was a real journey and adventure. there's a lot to say about this film that would require me to put it in spoilers, but i'm not going to do that (im a lazy bastard), so instead see the movie. it's an essential of 2014.

I agree about it having to stop earlier, but beyond that I would have to disagree with everything. Interstellar is the best movie I've seen in a really long time.

Also, I saw Good People yesterday and it was pretty good. There doesn't really happen a lot and you don't sympathize with the characters all that much either, but it was an all-round decent product.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Peebles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:40 pm

The movie did a lot of things correctly, and it hit quite a few marks. but it's swallowed in it's ambition a bit (like a lot of Nolan films). The first half of the movie went by too quickly. sloppy editing and in-your-face details that you know are going to make it's way later into the film. the acting was okay at best and a lot of the earth scenes just didn't do anything for me. the drone scene was otherwise worthless and the dialogue coming from the kids were groan worthy. it's like he wanted to rush it so you can use what you knew for the rest of the film. on the other hand:

Spoiler:
i really liked the first planet they landed on. the juxtaposition between the wave and the dust cloud was a nice touch whether it was done intentionally or not. and they handled the time-difference well too. when they docked at the ship and the guy tells them it's been 23 years, it was heartbreaking. a quarter of a decade on earth just flew by on a failed mission, that's some heavy stuff. the Matt Damon planet is when the movie really got good for me. He knew the planet was fucked in the first place, so he generated false data and put himself in sleep without a timed awaking? smart. he wouldnt die if he was in there. and the scene of them trying to dock was brilliant. beyond tense and when Matt Damon failed oh boy. you knew it was coming but when it did it hit you hard. and to be honest the whole "love is the force that can reach other dimensions" was a little ham fisted and obvious. the whole black hole scene was a little muddled too and I don't know how dust on the floor can give you the faintest idea that they're coordinates. but after the black hole scene, Cooper should have died. The movie wanted to pack emotional punch and that would have given it to us. the ending felt way too safe and completely unnecessary. him dying would have meant that he never saw his daughter again ever since he left her on that sour goodbye. because otherwise he saw her in the hospital for what, 5 seconds and bounced. and his family just shrugged him off?

still, it was a decent film that I can't wait to see again to digest everything better.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Tosh » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:02 pm

Just saw Layer Cake, great fucking crime film. Pretty underrated if you ask me.
ToshOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby Lucas » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Just watched Pineapple Express, one of the best stoner movies ever.
LucasOffline
Active
Active

Postby Lionheart » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:04 pm

I watched As Above/So Below today; I would've loved it if the ending was different. Myeh, can't win 'em all I guess.

Steam: l3g3nd4ryli0n
YEAH, MIGHT AS WELL COPY & PASTE THAT.
LionheartOffline
Old Bastard
Retired

Postby Spock » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:07 pm

@Peebles: I agree with a lot of that, though the kids' dialogue didn't bother me much. The drone scene was useless too, I agree, and the last ten minutes were real silly and the whole love thing made me want to gag. Plus I DESPISE Anne Hathaway's acting. That being said, I still really enjoyed it and while it's not phenomenal or life changing it's well worth the watch. I'm more interested in what poor editing you saw though, because that's part of what I liked. It was so damn pretty, and while special effects shouldn't really be considered when deciding what a "good" movie is, it was nice to see them used in a way that wasn't just random explosions and buildings falling down. And, like I said. They were pretty.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Peebles » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:31 am

I don't think poor editing is the right phrase, but rather how it was paced. The first earth scene was covering the "beginning of a story" checklist and quickly. I didn't really get a chance to feel for the characters because of how much was happening at once.
Spoiler:
Which made the goodbye emotionally absent for me.
I was stone cold.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Spock » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:55 am

Oh, yeah I didn't care much for a lot of the pacing. Some parts were really well paced and well developed but most were blah. Like your spoilered scene.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Daniël » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:44 am

Peebles wrote:
Spoiler:
but after the black hole scene, Cooper should have died. The movie wanted to pack emotional punch and that would have given it to us. the ending felt way too safe and completely unnecessary. him dying would have meant that he never saw his daughter again ever since he left her on that sour goodbye. because otherwise he saw her in the hospital for what, 5 seconds and bounced. and his family just shrugged him off?

This was my biggest problem with the movie as well, it would have been the perfect ending to the almost perfect movie, but they blew it, because fucking America always needs a happy ending.
Lucas wrote:Just watched Pineapple Express, one of the best stoner movies ever.

I really liked Pineapple Express, but I still feel like it wasn't nearly as good as people make it out to be. In the end it was just a decent comedy to me.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

PreviousNext

Return to Media