Movies

Post your media interests here.

Re: Movies

Postby Stickid » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Daniël wrote:Under the Skin: Pretentious movie without a plot or really anything going on, wouldn't recommend.
The Mist: I'm sure it was a lot better in the book, but it seemed like a very cheesy, outdated action/horror movie to me.
Memento: Very original movie. Gotta say the plot in the end seemed kinda bad, but it did lead to a pretty decent movie, so that was nice.
Blue Jasmine: If you're going to see a Woody Allen movie, go watch Midnight in Paris.

Under the Skin is fantastic, but like any art film i don't think i'd watch it in a theater with friends
The Mist was so entertaining, it's cheesy in a self-aware sort of way. plus that ending is sooo good
Memento's plot is nearly airtight, the end/beginning really makes the movie shine
i guess i have to see Midnight in Paris, because i loved Blue Jasmine

Mitch wrote:
Stickid wrote:The Blair Witch Project - really good, i loved the focus on the characters rather than the monster

A lot of the horror was conveyed through observing the characters rather than just being shown a fucking demon or some shit

totally yeah, that stuff is better left to the imagination (thumbsup
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Lord » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Watched a lot of movies over the past week, I got a bronze pass from Xtravision.
Godzilla : Love seeing some kaiju on the big screen, that roar is just... inspiring. The characters are mostly good but I loved the dad the most.
Captain America, The Winter Soldier : Oh, I regret not seeing this in cinemas. I've always prefered the Hulk and Iron Man over the others but I'm glad I watched this movie, great fight scenes and dialog and... Samuel L Jackson. Need I say more?
Lego Movie : I must say, I'm very surprised with how good this was, the humour was great, they had a whole cast of great actors to do the voices and it was just a great movie.
Joe : My mind is very conflicted about this one. It started off dull and that accent is a hard to understand from some people, but the film picked up pace towards the end, it was pretty good. I know people are always complaining about Nicholas Cage but I thought he was great in this movie.
Mrs Browns Boys d'Movie : I had high expectation for this film but it was just so boooooooooooring. For some parts I even spaced out entirely.
Edge of Tomorrow : Fantastic film but a little confusing.
300 Rise of an Empire : I loved 300 so I had high expectations for this one too. It was okay, lots of action and decent acting.

I a few others but I just can't remember them.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Spock » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Daniël wrote:Too bad you didn't like Boyhood, that a movie I really want to see still. Also got reservations for Interstellar yesterday, it's out the night of November 5th and I'll be there.
Went to the movies yesterday, saw Under the Skin and The Judge.

Under the Skin: Pretentious movie without a plot or really anything going on, wouldn't recommend.
The Judge: Was pretty good, turned to drama a lot more quickly than I expected. I anticipated more of a comedy.
Ferris Bueler's Day Off: I can see why it's a popular movie and its cheesiness has some sort of charm. Pretty good if you don't feel like worrying for about 100 minutes.
Bad Neighbors: Make you like Zac Efron a bit more, but still not a really stellar or funny movie. A decent flick.
Stuck in Love: Really fun family movie, has pretty good character development and gives you a good feeling after watching it.
The Mist: I'm sure it was a lot better in the book, but it seemed like a very cheesy, outdated action/horror movie to me.
Closer: Alright movie, not as good as I hoped, but it isn't bad either.
The First Time: As far as teenage romantic comedies go, this one was rather decent.
Fury: Really good war-movie, but if you're gonna see it, keep in mind that this warmovie has a lot of war going on. Not all that much beyond that. Also, probably setting a record for the shortest romance in a movie ever.
Memento: Very original movie, that's for sure. Gotta say the plot in the end seemed kinda bad, but it did lead to a pretty decent movie, so that was nice.
Blue Jasmine: If you're going to see a Woody Allen movie, go watch Midnight in Paris.

I love Memento. It's originality gets me... And I actually really enjoyed the twist ending/beginning/whateverthefuck

Also, Ferris is great. It's a classic for good reason... It's just fun.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Grams » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:56 pm

LordPivot wrote:300 Rise of an Empire : I loved 300 so I had high expectations for this one too. It was okay, lots of action and decent acting.

The original was pretty awful imo. Sub-par acting and nonsensical action. Not to mention the 20-30 minutes longer the film was due to slow-motion scenes.

Watched 12 Angry Men again. Excellent everything. Amazing what was accomplished in the setting of one room for virtually the entire screening. Each character's personality traits were displayed fantastically, and the dissection of the crime was intriguing. Also, the ability to sway an enitre room of convinced individuals is a respectable achievement. Great plot, "A+- 9.5/10" -IGN
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Spock » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:26 pm

^12 Angry Men is indeed impressive, more from a film scholar's standpoint than anything else. The acting was also EXCELLENT for that time period. Fun fact that you may or may not know, that movie is like the go to for studying how different lenses can affect the mood of a scene. The director used lenses with progressively lower focal lengths throughout to build the feeling of claustrophobia.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Daniël » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:05 am

I went to see Interstellar yesterday and it's an absolutely amazing movie. It actually wasn't as dramatic as the trailers hinted, but it did have quite a few dramatic elements, at least enough to keep your attention. There seemed to be a lot of things thought out, which makes me appreciate the work that was put into this. Definitely would recommend this one to anyone.
Spoiler:
I feel like it would have been a better ending if he'd died though, there didn't seem to be any logical reason why he would fall back on earth, even some kind of ambiguous morphing into a 5-dimensional being would have seemed better than this, but I guess you can't please everyone.

I also saw Boyhood the day before, must say it fit real well to my liking, as the whole movie seemed to be very much in sync with my age in each era of his life, which made it very easy to relate to it. I liked the movie quite a bit, though I don't feel as if it were necessary to have it continue on for almost 3 hours. In my opinion the whole story could have been told in less than 2, as it got slightly bored of it while it was nearing the end. Still a movie I would recommend you to watch if you have the patience for it.

Also, the trailer for Chappie has been released, a production of the same people behind District 9. I was really surprised when I saw Yolandi Visser from Die Antwoord, but I reckon it could be a pretty decent movie at least.
phpBB [video]

Also, anyone else looking forward to Exodus? It seems somewhat decent, even though the interpretation of the bible seems arguable.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby TheRavenHouse » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Daniël wrote:
Also, anyone else looking forward to Exodus? It seems somewhat decent, even though the interpretation of the bible seems arguable.

Honestly I think it looks kinda silly, I'd still be interested in seeing it just cause I'm interested in Christian mythology.

Well, yesterday I saw SAW in theaters, the first one was being rereleased because it's the tenth anniversary. I'd seen it before but years ago and not in theaters. I gotta say, maybe it was the hash, but that movie was HILARIOUS! The acting was so wooden, me and my friend were cracking up in the theater the whole time. I love the concept and set design, but everything else is frankly pathetic. The script and the acting and even some of the directing is bad. I had an awesome time, the theater was completely empty so we could be as loud as we wanted. But the movie was in retrospect poorly made, 6/10 just cause it's got a great concept.
TheRavenHouseOffline
A Lot Of Acid
A Lot Of Acid

Postby Stickid » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:01 pm

yeah Saw is a riot, i'll definitely be watching it with some buddies. and yeah the concept is pretty badass regardless of it's execution

you guys reminded me of 12 Angry Men so i watched it, man it was so great. it's so confined and rich, somehow not a dull moment whatsoever. if you guys like that i would highly suggest Glengary Glen Ross, it's just a powerhouse of performance

also watched Horns, i feel super conflicted about it. it seems cheesy as you watch it but it's entertaining and pretty ambitious. i think i loved it?
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Daniël » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Saw was in my opinion a pretty bad movie, but if you're gonna watch it with friends I can definitely see the appeal of it. It's not the kind of movie I would watch soon anytime again, at least not on my own.

Some movies I watched since my last post:
Re-Animator: I just wanted to watch it for the heck of it. Incredibly cheesy movie that one would like for the same reasons as one would like Saw, except the plot in Saw is more horror-esque and not quite this cheesy.
District 9: Great movie, the animation was stunning for 2009, it looked extremely realistic and puts Avatar into shame when it purely comes to animation realism. The plot was alright, not amazing, but it was worked quite well at least.
The Breakfast Club: Incredibly cheesy as well, but at least it's enjoyable.
The Blair Witch Project: It's original and the tensity was built quite well, although I felt like the nothing really happened it the first half of the movie and then suddenly got really boiled in the second half. Can't say I really liked it, but I'm not a fan of horrors in general, they often sacrifice good story for the aim to scare you, which they generally don't succeed in.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Peebles » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:09 pm

Nightcrawler: good stuff. Jake Gyllenhaal really developed a character. but the cops were introduced way too late and never any real threat was otherwise brought to the table.
7/10

Barry Lyndon: somewhat plodding and slow but had a lot of fantastic pieces of music and some incredible shots. really built up tension in the last scene. Definitely not Kubrick's strongest film but still good nonetheless.
7/10

Snowpiercer: pinnacle of mediocrity. great concept and some decent visuals. but absolutely trash storytelling and a missed opportunity. i wont bother nitpicking but there's a lot to say about this film that could have easily been avoided.
5/10

and not-so-recent but still worth mentioning:

Guardians of the Galaxy: good blockbuster with some decent dad-rock tunes and a pretty likable cast. but the action scenes beyond the first act were really stale and like every superhero flick, had no sense of threat.
6/10

also the fuck. Under the Skin was fantastic. the first half was dense and horrifying. the beach scene killed me. she played a perfect stoic character that gave off a very uneasy feeling just looking at her and knowing what she was doing. very subtle progression and definitely one of the best films of 2013. the final scene was a tad loose in terms of a concrete "ending" but it made enough sense and felt satisfying enough to feel like one. and how about Mica Levi's original score? brilliant.
8/10

also any film i've seen is right here: https://rateyourmusic.com/film_collecti ... h/r0.5-5.0
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Stickid » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:17 am

we share taste in so many movies it's kind of scary
Alejandro Jodorowsky is my jam so hard
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Peebles » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:31 am

Stickid wrote:we share taste in so many movies it's kind of scary
Alejandro Jodorowsky is my jam so hard

mmmmuh fuckin El Topo one of the best movies of the 70s. killin it wit Holy Mountain. you go girl. have you seen the documentary on him about his Dune plans? brilliant.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Stickid » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:52 am

yeah the Dune doc was what turned me onto him in the first place. i haven't seen any of his films newer than The Holy Mountain, been meaning to watch them all but his films take alot out of me

apparently my mexican old lady neighbor knows his shit, she said she might even have physical copies tucked in a box somewhere. i'm pretty psyched, i never expected anyone around me to know about him
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Grams » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:56 am

Kind of an older trailer. Although I'm sure there will be some hyperbole and embroidery, I'm still pretty excited to see how it turns out:
phpBB [video]
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Peebles » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:52 pm

Stickid wrote:yeah the Dune doc was what turned me onto him in the first place. i haven't seen any of his films newer than The Holy Mountain, been meaning to watch them all but his films take alot out of me

apparently my mexican old lady neighbor knows his shit, she said she might even have physical copies tucked in a box somewhere. i'm pretty psyched, i never expected anyone around me to know about him

yeah same. apparently Holy Blood is just Only God Forgives???? we know Refn is good friends with him.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

PreviousNext

Return to Media