Movies

Post your media interests here.

Re: Movies

Postby Lord » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:51 pm

I don't get it, I watched the Edge of Tommorrow...
Spoiler:
and I don't get how everyone is alive at the end.

Great movie though, but can someone explain to me what happened.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Stickid » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Edge of Tomorrow explanation
Spoiler:
only one living thing can have the power at one time, so when Cage loses the power it goes back to the Omega. so they have to kill the Omega directly, without killing an Alpha or it's day will reset.

they succeed in killing the Omega and the blood gets on Cage again just before he dies, sending him back again, but this time he wakes up earlier than usual because killing the Omega stopped the invasion at the source and the general never needs him to go to the front lines and he's never arrested and tazed as a deserter

the power is gone now though, because the Omega is gone.
really good film by the way, love it! time travel is always riddled with paradoxes though, learn to embrace the confusion
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Alca » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Just watched 'The Pianist.' One of my favourite films of all time. It's based on a true story about a Jewish pianist who tries to survive through WW2. The ending was really touching and the directing was brilliant. It's probably going to be a film I'll go back and watch more than once.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Spock » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Daniël wrote:
Stickid wrote:Lucy - passable but exponentially disconnecting, reminded me alot of Transcendence

I was actually hoping Lucy would be much better, but it was really kind of a disappointment. I get that it's not supposed to be realistic, but they took creative freedom to a whole new level and it was really getting worse and worse as the movie went on.

But yeah, Scarlet Johansson booty, so 9.5/10 -IGN.

I had the opposite experience with Lucy tbh. I went in there expecting to hate it and I came out liking it. That being said, I totally realize how someone could hate it... it really was so outside the realm of possibility in almost every circumstance. Even if you do accept the premise, it's entirely unbelievable. I enjoyed it mostly for the few things that were artistically done - the exploration of how humans are connected to animals, for instance. So yeah I hated parts but it does have enough redeeming qualities in it for me to give it at least a halfway thumbs up.

@Alca: That's been on my list for quite some time, gotta get around to watching it soon.

I finally rewatched Inception, been wanting to do that since I first saw it when it came out. It was good and all, but I found it entirely underwhelming just as I did the first time, in contrast to what everyone else has told me about how it "blew their minds" (which is why I wanted to watch it again). Oh well, I s'pose.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Stickid » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:45 pm

yeah Inception is fine. there's not much to dislike but not much to like either

the idea is neat but there's not enough connection to the characters to make you feel one way or another about them and the climax suffers as a result

edit: completely agree with GTSYankee below
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Grams » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:49 pm

Saw the new Godzilla last night. Not spectacular. More than I was expecting, though. A lot of people complained about the lack of Godzilla, but I was content with the frequency of his appearance.
Spoiler:
Only nitpick I have is the sub-par character development. Bryan Cranston's character (the dad) was the only one I gave a shit about; however he died fairly early on. Couldn't care less if the rest of them died. Obviously this wouldn't be a problem if the movie was purely focused on destruction and mayhem. Alas, it does attempt to establish empathy with the audience. Some miniscule plot problems not worth mentioning.

Decent movie overall. Wouldn't pay to see in theaters, but the Redbox rental was worth it.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Daniël » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:53 am

Stickid wrote:yeah Inception is fine. there's not much to dislike but not much to like either

the idea is neat but there's not enough connection to the characters to make you feel one way or another about them and the climax suffers as a result

I fully agree with this. Inception was a really good movie, but there's very little emotional attachment to anyone in the story.

As for Edge of Tomorrow, by coincidence I watched it last night, it was pretty good, better than expected at least. It did feel a bit like a cheap excuse for a plot, which they loosely based around some kind of respawn mechanic and from there on create the rules along the way, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

I also watched Gone Girl, it had a huge women-thriller vibe throughout the whole movie (and as it turned out, I was correct on that), but it was good nonetheless and I'm definitely glad I went to see it in cinema. I enjoy watching long movies in cinema anyway, which this film definitely qualifies for, with almost 3 hours of playtime.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby TheRavenHouse » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:20 pm

I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy, am I the only one who thought it was kinda average? Cause like, pretty much everyone seems to love it but I just can't really see why. The effects were badass and everything, but the writing was really stale IMHO.
TheRavenHouseOffline
A Lot Of Acid
A Lot Of Acid

Postby Daniël » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:15 pm

xX_GeoffMagnum_Xx wrote:I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy, am I the only one who thought it was kinda average? Cause like, pretty much everyone seems to love it but I just can't really see why. The effects were badass and everything, but the writing was really stale IMHO.

I thought it was a really cool movie, but I agree with you that it seemed kind of over-hyped. It had some bad-ass action and plenty sensation, but that's also kind of what it boiled down to. I'm happy I went to see it anyway.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby TheRavenHouse » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm happy I went to see it too, though the hash made it a fair deal more enjoyable than it would've been I feel. It just kinda felt like every other Sci-fi movie I see now, nothing special, but still enjoyable as eye candy.
TheRavenHouseOffline
A Lot Of Acid
A Lot Of Acid

Postby jota » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Well, I just watched Frank and I loved it, one of my favorite movies now. I just loved Michael Fassbender, and the soundtrack, oh my. Just wished that The Soronprfbs were real.
Here's a song of the band in the movie, and it's the actors themselves that play it! (There's a full version of it.)
phpBB [video]

"nigeru faggimus"

jotaOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Stickid » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:51 pm

yeah Frank was alright. maybe a little self-important but a fun watch

Michael Fassbender is fantastic, Maggie Gyllenhaal was great too
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Spock » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:46 pm

@InceptionDiscussion: THANK YOU. Finally, some other people who see the problem.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Daniël » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:50 pm

xX_GeoffMagnum_Xx wrote:I'm happy I went to see it too, though the hash made it a fair deal more enjoyable than it would've been I feel. It just kinda felt like every other Sci-fi movie I see now, nothing special, but still enjoyable as eye candy.

Movies are always a bit more fun when you're high. I always smoke some pot before entering the cinema. Only downfall of cinema's are that you can't pause the movie and get high again, so you'll always have to sit through a big part of the movie completely sober. But such is life, I suppose.

Also, I want to go see Frank, but I live in the fucking Netherlands and according to my theater's website they won't air the film until December 2015. No, I didn't make a typo there. I get that I have to wait a bit longer, but I guess they really weren't planning a release for Frank over here.

I find myself eligible to pirate this one. Not that I care, but it feels good to believe you have a good excuse.

Edit: Forgot to add, I just watched Oldboy. Wouldn't really recommend it, even for an action movie it was really generic and lacked logic.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Spock » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 pm

fuckjota wrote:Well, I just watched Frank and I loved it, one of my favorite movies now. I just loved Michael Fassbender, and the soundtrack, oh my. Just wished that The Soronprfbs were real.
Here's a song of the band in the movie, and it's the actors themselves that play it! (There's a full version of it.)
phpBB [video]

That's music? I didn't enjoy that at all.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

PreviousNext

Return to Media