Movies

Post your media interests here.

Re: Movies

Postby Daniël » Tue May 05, 2015 8:09 am

I went to see Ex_Machina and I loved it. I wished they ended it a bit sooner, right after the black elevator at the end closes, but it would probably give off a cheap horror vibe too much.

Also went to see A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence. I have to say I really liked it, it was a very unique experiences and even though it was superficially very random, I felt as if it had some good underlying critcism on society. Would definitely recommend it to the film snobs in this thread, as I'm sure they'd too enjoy it.

Though my sister and cousin both hated it, which I can also understand.

Edit: I watched Despicable Me, what a fun movie!
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Jojishi » Mon May 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Finally watched Transcendence and it's actually pretty good. Don't read ahead if you don't want spoilers. Everyone was saying it was a cliche AI takes over the world story... And it totally wasn't. Which makes me wonder if these people were even paying attention. Okay, technically it could be seen as taking over the world, but it wasn't evil intent or in a cliche "kill all humans" scenario. Will actually wanted to make the world a better place! At the end of the movie, the nanobots are bringing back trees where previously the land was bare from humans taking them down. The water was also purified by the nanobots.

It was such a good movie. The humans and the extremists were the bad guys. They triggered a - what they so eloquently phrased - Y2K end of the world scenario with a technological and electrical blackout. Hundreds of thousands died. Meanwhile, Will healed people. He brought back one man's eyesight!

Was the pacing a bit slow in paces? Yeah. But this honestly does not deserve the 18% it got on Rotten Tomatoes, or people comparing it to a ripoff from Lawnmower Man (which people hated anyway... Sort of reminds me of people comparing Avatar to Pocahontas, which they hated, which was also compared to Dances with Wolves, which they also hated...) which is comparing it to a horror movie where I don't know... The "lawnmower man" tried to kill people. Um, yeah, definitely an accurate comparison.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, give it a chance. It drags on in places, but the cast is awesome, the cinematography rocks and the story overall is probably one of the most ambitious to come out of Hollywood.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Caleb » Fri May 15, 2015 6:43 pm

I just watched Mad Max Fury Road and holy fucking shit. Everything about the warboys is so fucking metal, it's awesome. I love the movie, best I've seen in a while.
^Click it for a free animation lesson^
Animation thread (last updated: World war I)
CalebOffline
Forgotten entity
Forgotten entity

Postby Jojishi » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 am

Just watched The Iron Giant two weeks back and easily one of the best animated movies I've seen. The last time I watched it was when I was a little kid probably 15 years ago so I pretty much forgot everything. It was one of the best experiences of my life. If you haven't seen it yet, watch it now.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Franklin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:09 pm

Just recently watched Dawn of the Planet of the apes. One of my new favorites now.
FranklinOffline
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Lord » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:20 pm

Feminist MatsCokeAddiction wrote:Just recently watched Dawn of the Planet of the apes. One of my new favorites now.

Loved that movie.
Spoiler:
I gasped in horror when Koba shot Caesar. Not many movies can make me do that now.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Llama » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:04 pm

Really started getting into movies lately and have been acquiring a few (through questionable means). Here are my thoughts on a few:

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters: Good for what it is, an action-fantasy film.

Legion: Decent enough. Made me ponder about what would actually happen if some omnipotent, all-ruling being did abandon his world. I'm thinking about the sequel TV show that goes along with it.

Priest: Jesus Christ they could have done a bit more development. A bit too fast for my taste, but the action sequences were great and the visuals were awesome.

Silent Hill: Brutal.

Silent Hill: Revelation: Brutal 2.0
LlamaOffline
but why though
VIP

Postby Alca » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Watched Kingsman: The Secret Service. Pretty cool film. The choreography was pretty outstanding too. Enjoyed watching it. I'm going to watch The Raid: Redemption soon, seems like a great action film.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Rebmund10 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:29 am

I recently watched the Jurassic World at the cinemas yesterday and I got so much nostalgic feels from my childhood. It's the worthy sequel for Jurassic Park unlike the other first two sequel.
Rebmund10Offline
Active
Active

Postby Stickid » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Alca wrote:I'm going to watch The Raid: Redemption soon

do that

saw Fury Road the other day. i'm a huge fan of the first two Mad Max movies, have to say i was skeptical about the new trailers. in fact, i had low expectations due to all the recent remake/reboot/sequel treatments modern movies have been getting

but man, this movie made me feel giddy as hell. really fantastic, i can't wait to hit the cinema again
Last edited by Stickid on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby lordkazari » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:14 pm

My favorite director has to be Christopher Nolan. That man is a genius. My favorite movie is probably Fight Club. It's a mind fuck for sure!
lordkazariOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm gonna go see a movie this weekend guys, but I have no clue what I should see. Good recommendations for movies currently in theatres?
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Grams » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Gary wrote:I'm gonna go see a movie this weekend guys, but I have no clue what I should see. Good recommendations for movies currently in theatres?

Mad Max if you haven't seen it.

Also, Jurassic: World. Though I can't say "good" recommendation because I haven't seen it and I expect it to be uh well the guy teams up with raptors. Idk.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Rebmund10 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:02 am

Gary wrote:I'm gonna go see a movie this weekend guys, but I have no clue what I should see. Good recommendations for movies currently in theatres?

If you're a Jurassic Park fan, then Jurassic World is a recommendation. It feels much like the original movie and has a nostalgic feeling on it. Even though the plot is easily predictable, the effects, storyline, and ending was very awesome. I rate it 8.5/10. (thumbsup
Rebmund10Offline
Active
Active

Postby Lord » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:47 am

Just came back from watching Jurrasic World. I remember watching Jurrasic Park on VHR the entire time when I was 7-11 years old. I was mad for dinos back then.

This movie just completely reignited my childhood. :)

I don't think many of you were old enough to have seen it in 1993, but I loved Jurrasic Park, and Jurrasic World stayed very faithful to the original in my opinion. It added something I wouldn't have expected, they made you care for the dinosaurs, can you believe that?!

I loved it anyways. Up there with the Avengers 2 in my favourite movies I've watched this year.

Edit: Lol, unless anyone's in their 30's here then I'm pretty sure nobody's seen it in cinema back in '93. :D
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

PreviousNext

Return to Media