Movies

Post your media interests here.

Re: Movies

Postby Grams » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Has anyone seen Lucy? I don't believe I have ever desired for a movie to do bad, but that 10% of the brain bullshit really pushes the ole buttons.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Daniël » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Lucy was somewhat entertaining, but from a logical or realistic perspective utter shit.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Stickid » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:22 pm

i've seen a ton of stuff since I last posted here, so i'll just mention what has stuck with me

Birdman - loved it, very content with the Oscar win, highly recommend
Repo Man - utterly entertaining, i wish i'd seen it sooner, highly recommend
Tetsuo: The Iron Man - one the most creative and brutal movies i've ever seen, highly recommend
Foxcatcher - wonderful performances, tone and message, great film
The Tree of Life - fantastic film, seen it a few times now and can't wait to watch it again
Tusk - surprisingly fun horror/dark comedy, my expectations got tossed around alot
Whiplash - one of those films that makes me re-think my sense of commitment, simple but strong
'71 - fantastic british crime drama, very dark, loud and quiet with good character complexity

Lord of the Flies - i didn't read the book very well so it was nice to see it onscreen
We Need to Talk About Kevin - does a good job suspending it's dark secret, pretty fun
Primal Fear - good justice film with sharp dialogue and great performances all around
John Wick - perfectly fine, a fun watch
Interstellar - this is probably my expectations speaking, but this film just feels off. doesn't seem to matter how many times i watch it
Fifty Shades of Grey - teased me with significance but in the end felt empty and unsatisfying
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Spock » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Grams wrote:Has anyone seen Lucy? I don't believe I have ever desired for a movie to do bad, but that 10% of the brain bullshit really pushes the ole buttons.

I expected it to be utter shit, but it was surprisingly decent. From a scientific perspective it was horrible and annoying though, you're right. I just liked a few of the devices they used.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Alca » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Finally got around to watching Inception. Great movie, can't believe I put it off for so long.

Also just about to watch Interstellar. Looks really interesting.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Daniël » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Interstellar is fantastic, man.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Grams » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Daniël wrote:Interstellar is fantastic, man.

uggghhh it won't come to redbox where I'm at and I'm dying to see it.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Lord » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Just after finishing watching Interstellar.
I didn't understand some of it, though I'm sure I'm not the only one who couldn't.
I loved it though, got better by every second, it started off great and then finished on a beautiful note, beautiful.
It'll probably linger on my mind now for the next few days, I loved it.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Daniël » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:22 am

I'm glad you were able to appreciate the awesome that is Interstellar. The general concept of the movie was pretty easy to understand, but there were some logical flaws in it, which might be why some parts confused you.

Anyway, I watched Enemy recently and it was pretty damn good. I honestly thought it would be pretty disappointing, considering the pretty average IMDb score, but it was actually really intriguing and I will probably watch that movie again sometimes.

Also, I went to see Gunman yesterday, it was pretty generic.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Stickid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Daniël wrote:I watched Enemy recently and it was pretty damn good. I honestly thought it would be pretty disappointing, considering the pretty average IMDb score, but it was actually really intriguing and I will probably watch that movie again sometimes.

hell yeah, great movie
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Alca » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:12 pm

Finished Interstellar. Seriously one of the best films I've seen in a long time. That ending was just beautiful. Probably enjoyed it even more than Inception.

Also finished Django Unchained. Quite entertaining. I really like Quentin Tarantino's style of directing, and the action sequences were brilliant.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Spock » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:28 pm

^blah, Django. I dislike Tarantino and I disliked that one even more than his others. To each their own.

Interstellar was great, though.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Stickid » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:53 pm

been on a horror binge lately

[REC] - fantastic zombie film and probably one of my new favorite horrors of all time
Dawn of the Dead (2004) - pretty fun zombie flick, very watchable and a worthy departure from the original
Perfume The Story of a Murderer - good movie, not much depth but very well executed and the final scenes are astounding
Spring - new genre-bender with romance, comedy and horror, it doesn't give itself away so easily and the actors have good chemistry
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Grams » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Watched Saw for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. More story-oriented than I expected, but I'd imagine the franchise goes downhill from there. Also, Django Unchained was really good imo. Great characters, unique cinematography, and an enjoyable plot. Frankly, I didn't even know it was a Tarantino movie until I saw it mentioned here. Figured I'd give it a go.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Peebles » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:41 pm

Alca wrote:Finished Interstellar. Seriously one of the best films I've seen in a long time. That ending was just beautiful. Probably enjoyed it even more than Inception.

Also finished Django Unchained. Quite entertaining. I really like Quentin Tarantino's style of directing, and the action sequences were brilliant.

Really? The last 5 minutes of Interstellar was completely rushed and emotionless to me.

@Stickid: Rec seems really interesting. I've seen some clips from it and it looks like Quarantine but less jump scary. And I hated Quarantine. So I'm hoping it's good when I see it.

Saw World of Tomorrow by Don Hertzfeldt, and I loved it. Hertzfeldt's last few films have floored me. He manages yet again to find a perfect balance between black comedy and sorrow. 8/10
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

PreviousNext

Return to Media