Movies

Post your media interests here.

Re: Movies

Postby Spock » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:06 pm

@Daniel: Aw, come on. Mr. Nobody is my second favorite movie of all time.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Peebles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:32 am

Haven't posted in a while but i've seen quite a few films. here's a few:

History of Future Folk: nice little independent low budget film with a lot of heart, despite the ending being a little underwhelming. 7/10

the Interview: I really liked Kim's character, but I personally think Franco/Rogan's chemistry in the majority of their movies is annoying and immature. 4/10

It's Such a Beautiful Day: I'm no stranger to this man's work, and I've been a fan for a very long time, and this just floored me. A tale of genetics, existentialism, metal illness, wrapped in a very dark comedy blanket while still retaining it's maturity and emotion. The best film of the decade so far, and I think it'll be pretty fucking hard to top. 10/10

I was also able to re-live the beauty that is The Running Man and was not disappointed. Taking this movie seriously will get you nowhere.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Daniël » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:22 am

The Academy Awards were last night! I got to watch a live broadcast in the beautiful theater where I work. We had bets on who would guess the most Oscars correctly. I may have love 5 euro's that night, but I still had a really great time getting drunk/high with colleagues. I was actually happy to have over half my predictions correct, but some guy only made 2 wrong guesses out of 24, which is just insane.

Anyway, #teambirdman motherfuckers. I voted a lot for Birdman and it didn't fucking disappoint.

The Grand Budapest Hotel did a bit too well, in my opinion, but I know many would disagree on that.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Peebles » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 am

Daniël wrote:

The Grand Budapest Hotel did a bit too well, in my opinion, but I know many would disagree on that.

It won best costume, hairstyling and makeup, score, and best set design. What else should have won? I think it's very well deserving of all of those.

I'm glad Birdman won though, but my big hype is that Emmanuel Lubezki won yet again. That motherfucker is the best cinematographer right now (Children of Men, Gravity, Tree of Life, To the Wonder).
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Lord » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Argh, I wanted to watch the Oscars live aswell. Unfortunately with the time zones issue it wouldn't have been live here until 1AM... and we're back at school today after the mid-term so even though I have no real concrete curfews it's not accustomed to me to stay up until more than 11PM at night.
I haven't seen Birdman yet but I really want to. It looks fantasticle.

The highlights of the Oscars are on TV now in 10 minutes so I'll be watching that anyway. (at least it's something)
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Daniël » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:59 pm

Peebles wrote:
Daniël wrote:

It won best costume, hairstyling and makeup, score, and best set design. What else should have won? I think it's very well deserving of all of those.

voted them for costume design as well, but I felt like Foxcatcher did better at makeup and hairstyling and I believe I voted Interstellar for best set design (if they were nominated, I'm too lazy to check for sure).

Also, LordPivot, it was like 6AM when I finally left my the theater last night, time-zones ain't an excuse, bro.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Spock » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:03 pm

I just wasn't a fan of Grand Budapest Hotel over all, but for those categories I guess I can see it. Birdman was good, but I honestly thought Interstellar should have won best picture despite the fact that it wasn't even nominated. I thought it was much better.

@Peebles: Was Emmanuel Lubezki the cinematographer from Birdman too? Because Birdman's cinematography was fucking phenomenal.
SpockOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Peebles » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Well thank you for at least not saying that Hans Zimmer should have won best score.

@spock: yes, he was.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Jojishi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 am

Okay, so I watched some of Jackass presents: Bad Grandpa and I've got to say... I'm honestly surprised with how good it is. I got interrupted half way through watching it but oh my God it's the funniest thing I've watched in a while. I've watched Jackass before but it's not really been my thing. The way they've mashed real life pranks together with a story is seamless and it just works so well. I feel like I've just watched the creation of a new genre. Needless to say, definitely enjoyed what I saw so far.

I'm going to watch the two Captain America films, two Thor films and Guardians of the Galaxy over the next few weeks. I haven't even watched any of the trailers for these (except for GotG) so I don't know what to expect. I have no idea why I haven't but yeah. Looking forward to watching those before seeing Age of Ultron (which I'm extremely hyped for).
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Lord » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is pretty good.
Never seen any of the Thor films.
Guardians of the Galaxy is a marvellous film.

What date is Age of Ultron out on?
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Grams » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:42 pm

I feel like one of the few people who thought Guardians of the Galaxy was just good. Pretty much everyone I have talked to says "WOW IT'S HILARIOUS ACTION KAPOW BEST MOVIE 2016"

idk it was fine. The plot was decent, but the romance between Starlord and Gamora was portrayed stupidly. Like he falls in love with her within 15 minutes of meeting her. I know it's an action film so limited screen-time for that kind of shit, but still. The comedy was okay. Again, action movie, so that wasn't the primary focus. I suppose I didn't care for the characters all too much. Only had sentiment for Groot because he resembled a toddler behavior-wise. If everyone else died and the credits rolled, I wouldn't have felt much of anything. Honestly, I would have given it about a 7.5/10. Not bad at all. Just not as fantastic as everyone made it out to be. Only my opinion, though.
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Daniël » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:23 pm

For those who haven't yet, go watch Big Hero 6. I was fucking hyped for it and it still beat my expectations.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Jojishi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:22 am

I will when I get the chance. I'm still waiting for How to Train Your Dragon 2 to come out on cable, because I'm lazy. Plus when I went to the DVD store with my Mum she said it was a kid's movie FUCK YOU MUM ;_;

So mummy issues aside, I'll probably watch that movie, after I finally get to watch:

The Marvel movies I listed above
Transcendence
The Lego Movie
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Interstellar (if I can be bothered sitting through 3 hours)

Age of Ultron comes out on the 23rd of April in Australia and other places and 1st of May in America. Regarding the Guardians of the Galaxy, I honestly don't have high expectations for it. It felt a bit overrated so I'm not hyping myself up for it in anyway but it looks like it could be a fun movie.
JojishiOffline
Retired

Postby Daniël » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:57 am

I still might go see Transcendence, but I feel like Johnny Depp is kind of past his prime and that it can only disappoint. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'd still rather see most other movies.

The Lego Movie was really, really fun, definitely would recommend that one. However How to Train Your Dragon 2 was alright, but really not that impressive to me.

Interstellar was awesome, if you can see it in cinema, I would definitely see it there. Really fantastic movie.

Edit: I also watched Tracers yesterday, by the way. It was pretty shit.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Lord » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Daniël wrote:I still might go see Transcendence, but I feel like Johnny Depp is kind of past his prime and that it can only disappoint. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'd still rather see most other movies.

Heard bad reviews about that movie.
Ma' thread
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

PreviousNext

Return to Media