Movies

Post your media interests here.

Re: Movies

Postby Stickid » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:29 pm

The Black Mamba wrote:Enemy
Honestly, the way my friend described the movie made me not want to watch but after watching it I really enjoyed it. He just said a twin brother comes and fucks his girl and his whole life up, and I thought it sounded stupid.
Enemy is so straightforward how could your friend fuck it up so badly hahaha

my short interpretation: (minor spoilers)
Spoiler:
it's about confronting your inner demons, the enemy within. the main character starts with a minor curiosity, he's hesitant but it soon grows to consume him. once he realizes how deep things go it's too late to back out

the spider room is an analogy for he whole film. you're given a key but you choose whether or not to go into the room. once you've been there, you're trapped. remember the guy in the elevator, he said he couldn't stop thinking about his night in the room

that's why there's that spider at the end, he moved on with life but he knows things will never be the same. except he sort of smiles because he's come to terms with it, his dark side. i think the film is about channeling fear to acceptance
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Firecracker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:02 pm

I watched Grudge match last week. I'm usually a sucker for those kinda movies but good god, dat CGI Robert de niro! Man that was some horrible stuff. And the rest of the movie wasn't great either. I mean, without spoiling it, i think they should have had the flash back to their first fight at the end of the movie rather than the beginning. It would've meant something at the end.
"A stickfigure doing a walk is far better than some spiky-haired fuckwit blurring across the screen in a two or three-frame run."

~ Waffles Mgee
FirecrackerOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby The Black Mamba » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:03 am

Stickid wrote:
The Black Mamba wrote:Enemy
Honestly, the way my friend described the movie made me not want to watch but after watching it I really enjoyed it. He just said a twin brother comes and fucks his girl and his whole life up, and I thought it sounded stupid.
Enemy is so straightforward how could your friend fuck it up so badly hahaha

my short interpretation: (minor spoilers)
Spoiler:
it's about confronting your inner demons, the enemy within. the main character starts with a minor curiosity, he's hesitant but it soon grows to consume him. once he realizes how deep things go it's too late to back out

the spider room is an analogy for he whole film. you're given a key but you choose whether or not to go into the room. once you've been there, you're trapped. remember the guy in the elevator, he said he couldn't stop thinking about his night in the room

that's why there's that spider at the end, he moved on with life but he knows things will never be the same. except he sort of smiles because he's come to terms with it, his dark side. i think the film is about channeling fear to acceptance

Lol, you should be my go to guy for movie reviews. Yeah, he's a pretty blunt guy, still my best friend though.

@Firecracker - Yeah, I just assumed that movie was gonna be shitty and didn't even bother.

The Amazing Spiderman 2
Woah. The effects are amazing but it's almost what you would expect in this day in age, still great though. I feel this one actually overshadowed the prequel, if not at least lived up to. Big plus for me, I've had mostly bad experiences with sequels. Again, I haven't read any of the comics, so I don't know how accurate the timeline is. Not too sure about some of the bad guys in the movie,
Spoiler:
I've never heard of "Rhino".
Too little knowledge to constructively judge the accuracy of the movie, so I just won't bother. It's also notable that they changed a lot of things from the original Spiderman movies, switched out a lot of the bad guys Spiderman fights. I don't really know how accurate the initial Spiderman movies were either, so, again, I don't know which enemy's he's suppose to face first. The movie was still really enjoyable to watch, and again, a little cheese here and there but passable. That was a shock at the end too, I felt for Spidey
Spoiler:
I don't know if Gwen dies in the comics either
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Mat » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:11 am

The Black Mamba wrote:end
Spoiler:
I don't know if Gwen dies in the comics either

Yes, and the Rhino costume was done pretty nicely. Fairly similar to the Ultimate comics but at the same time has it's own concept.
Image Image
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

Postby The Black Mamba » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Ah, well.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Gary » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:27 am

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Jesus christ it was so good.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Lord » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:42 am

Recommend it? I think I might see that movie soon too.
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Gary » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:59 am

Yes, I highly recommend it. It was better than the Avengers in my opinion.
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Daniël » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:19 pm

I'll be watching it as soon as there's a non-cam torrent available, haha. I might even watch it in the cinema.

Speaking of torrents, I have a hypothetical question. Imagine if someone would like to torrent a not so well known film that's been released recently, like, say, Wish I Was Here from Zach Braff. Where would this person have to go?
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Stickid » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Daniel wrote:if someone would like to torrent a not so well known film that's been released recently, where would this person have to go?

probably wherever you're already going, i frequently get lesser-known films, they just tend to take longer
you could always use one of those search engines that only searches torrent sites

enjoyed a few films:

Apocalypse Now - a fucking trip, loved it. need to see again
Cocaine Cowboys - good doc on the 80s Miami drug trade, reminded me of a lot of films
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - typical Wes Anderson charm, very pleasant
Fading Gigolo - good performances but not much drew my interest, i need to watch more Woody Allen films

also rewatched Spring Breakers, forgot how much i enjoy it
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby tuna » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:27 pm

watched guardians of the galaxy, great film. really cliché at points, i think that was part of the humour though. either way, great film.
tunaOffline
Retired
Retired

Postby Daniël » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:00 am

Stickid wrote:
Daniel wrote:if someone would like to torrent a not so well known film that's been released recently, where would this person have to go?

probably wherever you're already going, i frequently get lesser-known films, they just tend to take longer
you could always use one of those search engines that only searches torrent sites

enjoyed a few films:

Apocalypse Now - a fucking trip, loved it. need to see again
Cocaine Cowboys - good doc on the 80s Miami drug trade, reminded me of a lot of films
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - typical Wes Anderson charm, very pleasant
Fading Gigolo - good performances but not much drew my interest, i need to watch more Woody Allen films

also rewatched Spring Breakers, forgot how much i enjoy it

I normally use Kickass Torrents, but it really isn't up there. I might just have to search a bit more or wait and hope it will be more available soon.

Haven't had much time to watch movies recently, but I did watch these two:
The Wolf of Wallstreet
Enjoyable movie if you like fast-paced entertainment. Not really any good besides that, as the film doesn't really have a good message or whatever, just a fun plot that keeps you entertained.
The Avengers
A bit in the same genre as The Wolf of Wallstreet only more action and fantasy element. Not many feels, just a lot of stuff happening that keeps you well entertained for 2 hours.
DaniëlOffline
the
the

Postby Mitch » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:06 am

This is prolly worth a sticky.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Stickid » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:48 pm

what the fuck man Wall Street has hard hitting commentary on greed, consumerism, sexism and loyalty. i was thinking it dwelled on the thought that humans may not be in the animal kingdom, but we are still animals within. just because a movie doesnt spell out all its deeper meanings doesn't mean it has none
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Mat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Finally got around to seeing Enemy. I was certainly not disappointed. It did a great job of keeping that edgy feeling throughout the movie. I thought it was very entertaining and definitely worth seeing. Thanks for recommending it to me 5 months ago Stickid. (thumbsup
MatOffline
Wasted
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Media