Album(s) Of The Year.

Post your media interests here.

Album(s) Of The Year.

Postby socks » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:33 pm

So, seeing as people as a whole enjoy music. And people like sharing their opinion about their favorite albums of a particular year I figured that we needed a thread dedicated to what we thought of the year 2014 musically.

Favorites Of The Year (No order)

きのこ帝国 - フェイクワールドワンダーランド
Swans - To Be Kind (Probably would be nearing #1)
RATKING - So It Goes
Nothing - Guilty Of Everything
Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary
Iceage - Plowing Into The Field Of Love
clipping. - CLPPNG

that's all I can think of right now, but i'm willing to be there's more.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Re: Album(s) Of The Year.

Postby Gary » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 pm

My favourites in no order

Moon Hooch-This is Cave Music!
Joel Faviere-Dark Days
Foo Fighters-Sonic Highways
Linkin Park-The Hunting Party
Rise Against-The Black Market
"You may think I am joking, but I will fuck you." -Mat
GaryOffline
Woa
Woa

Postby Llama » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Angels And Airwaves - The Dream Walker

To be released on December 9 of this year. Stoked for the day to come.
LlamaOffline
but why though
VIP

Postby Mitch » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:36 pm

First Swans album I ever listened to which helped gateway me into stuff by them that is admittedly better, but I agree that this is prolly one of the best this year in its own right (from what i've listened to anyway)

I like this album more than Young Team these days lol.

Pretty fucking generic in all honesty, but it's exactly the type of generic that is up my alley.

I didn't get a chance to listen to much shit from 2014 because i'm still a scrub that's still listening through the long list of older shit that the meme squad tells me to listen to but these are my favorites from this year. Now that i've seen this thread i'll probably go check out that new Iceage release to see what you all wont shut the fuck up about lol.

Also inb4 Peebles.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Peebles » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:46 am

Mitch wrote:Also inb4 Peebles.

hey, damnit.

out of the 246 albums i've listened to this year (i still haven't listened to everything i wanted to just yet) in no order:

white suns - totem
ratking - so it goes
have a nice life - the unnatural world
LCD Soundsystem - The Long Goodbye
Kairon; IRSE! - Ujubasajuba
Kayo Dot - Coffins on IO
Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams
Iceage - Plowing Into the Field of Love
Liars - Mess
the Hotelier - Home, Like No Place Is There
Natural Snow Buildings - The Night Country

shoutout to:
Death Grips - Niggas on the Moon
Swans - To Be Kind
Mica Levi - Under the Skin soundtrack
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Postby Shad Shadson » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:42 am

This is gonna be heavily Hip Hop oriented, anyone who gives a damn about music has already heard this shit.

Beautiful album to debut with (yeah I know they had that EP whatever fuck you.) the feel of this album is something I would say has no equal. Watered down Death Grips is the way I'd explain it in it's most base terms, but I feel that insults fans of both Death Grips and RATKING.

Memorable songs: So it Goes, Canal, Protein

Worst: Puerto Rican Judo (the fuck?)

This is the harder side of rap done RIGHT. A lot of trap-style sounding beats, but the production works BEAUTIFULLY with Q's voice, and the lyrics and stories he tells are interesting. Sure, it's got a lot of the standard 'big 3' (money,cars,hoes), but in this album it feels 'relatable' to a degree.

Memorable Songs: Collard Greens, Man of the Year, Break the Bank, Hoover Street

Worst: Studio

Another Gangster Rap-type album. The difference with this one is this has the production fingerprint of hip hop alumni Madlib, most famously known as half of the duo known as Madvillian. I usually don't like Freddie by himself, but this album left me pleasantly surprised. It talks about the standard 'thug stuff', but the wordplay and storytelling is great, and it seems like Freddie is weaving this story of a man who did this to survive and does it because it's all he knows, and he regrets every second of it. It all comes to a great close with the title track at the end, with a ton of great features, a bunch of great rapping and just general overall awesomeness. Highly Reccomended.

Memorable Songs: Shitsville, Thuggin', Pinata, Deeper

Worst: Watts (if you can even count that? It's more an interlude), Scarface/Shame otherwise, but it's REALLY hard to pick even a bad song in this album.

No but seriously, I feel like I have to explain why this is probably (in my opinion) the biggest disappointment of the year. NeruvianDOOM is second but it's second by miles.

The Mighty have fucking FALLEN on this record. Holy fuck. The Roots made a GREAT concept album describing how bad scummy gangsta and 'thug' life can be in Undun, and that album is one of my favorite of ALL TIME. THIS album, however, is a fucking travesty. It opens with a like an interlude type thing, and it's legitimately good sounding, but I feel that except in rare cases (late registration's "wake up mr west", for example), this is a bad idea. #2. This album is fucking filler CENTRAL. Holy FUCK JESUS CHRIST. It literally goes filler,'song,filler,filler,'song',filler. It's awful. And the filler isn't even interesting filler, it's BAD FILLER. Dies Irae is literally the worst fucking thing I've ever heard. HALF THIS ALBUM IS FUCKING FILLER AAAAAAAAAAA.

Even when you GET to the songs, half of them are average to below average. Never is shit and boring. Understand is something that should have been at the end of the album, but otherwise it's an alright song. The Coming is shit. The dark is average. Tommorrow is garbage. The only songs I actually ENJOY are Black Rock, When the People Cheer, and The Unraveling, but fuck me waiting for those 3 songs in this album is tormenting, because everything else either sounds the same or is fucking ear-rape. For a Roots album, there's like no fucking Black Thought. That's like having G-Unit without 50 Cent. That makes no fucking sense. This album is also short as fuck. Undun is like 20 total minutes not counting the instrumentals, and this album is LESS THEN THAT. THE CONCEPT IN THE CONCEPT ALBUM DOESN'T EVEN TAKE FUCKING FLIGHT. FUCK THIS ALBUM. I'M DONE.

Memorable Tracks: The Unraveling, Black Rock, When The People Cheer

Worst: DIES IRAE. DIES. IRAE.

Honorable Mentions: Rtj2-RTJ, These Days... - Ab-Soul, Common- Nobody's Smiling, Busdriver- Perfect Hair, Flying Lotus - You're Dead!
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Koolcid » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:19 am

I'm a faggot, I know.
KoolcidOffline
Matorator
Matorator

Postby tenks » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:57 am

bladee - gluee || idgaf gtb
have a nice life - the unnatural world || still not topping deathconsciousness but really damn solid
iceage - plowing into the field of love || COOOOOOUUAHHMMMM HEEEREEE AND BBBUUAAALAAAAANNNCEEEEEEEEE
arca - xen || i just love arca, everything he does
wolves in the throne room - celestite || so different from what they normally do but so fucking good
boris - noise || boris is always good
death grips - niggas on the moon || kind of a sleeper for me but i really love this album now better than anything they put out on no love deep web imo
nothing - guilty of everything || so short but so good
きのこ帝国 - フェイクワールドワンダーランド || im a sucker for everything they do this album is no exception
bones - skinny || wasnt too happy with his last tapes but this one was really fucking solid
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

Postby socks » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:38 am

My Rundown of the comments i've had anything to say about.
Spoiler:
tenks wrote:have a nice life - the unnatural world || still not topping deathconsciousness but really damn solid
iceage - plowing into the field of love || COOOOOOUUAHHMMMM HEEEREEE AND BBBUUAAALAAAAANNNCEEEEEEEEE
arca - xen || i just love arca, everything he does
death grips - niggas on the moon || kind of a sleeper for me but i really love this album now better than anything they put out on no love deep web imo
nothing - guilty of everything || so short but so good
きのこ帝国 - フェイクワールドワンダーランド || im a sucker for everything they do this album is no exception

I forgot about anything but deathcounciosuness (Gotta try those other ones)
OONN MYYY FIIINNNGGGGEERRRRSS
arca was decent, but i wasn't diggin' every song
agreed with grips
Nothing was pretty rad
きのこ帝国, they just haven't done anything i don't like yet.
Shad Shadson wrote:Ab-Soul, Common- Nobody's Smiling, Busdriver- Perfect Hair, Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

As usual shad gives the "rap rundown"
the only albums on here I have heard and enjoyed were, Busdriver, and Ratking.
Peebles wrote:
Mitch wrote:Also inb4 Peebles.

hey, damnit.

out of the 246 albums i've listened to this year (i still haven't listened to everything i wanted to just yet) in no order:

white suns - totem
ratking - so it goes
have a nice life - the unnatural world
LCD Soundsystem - The Long Goodbye
Kairon; IRSE! - Ujubasajuba
Kayo Dot - Coffins on IO
Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams
Iceage - Plowing Into the Field of Love
Liars - Mess
the Hotelier - Home, Like No Place Is There
Natural Snow Buildings - The Night Country

shoutout to:
Death Grips - Niggas on the Moon
Swans - To Be Kind
Mica Levi - Under the Skin soundtrack

As usual i've heard most of it, and liked what i've heard (Can't get into Kairon; IRSE! though, not my thing.) Also, To Be Kind is a mention? I thought it'd be higher up?
Mitch wrote:Image
First Swans album I ever listened to which helped gateway me into stuff by them that is admittedly better, but I agree that this is prolly one of the best this year in its own right (from what i've listened to anyway)

I like this album more than Young Team these days lol.

Pretty fucking generic in all honesty, but it's exactly the type of generic that is up my alley.

I didn't get a chance to listen to much shit from 2014 because i'm still a scrub that's still listening through the long list of older shit that the meme squad tells me to listen to but these are my favorites from this year. Now that i've seen this thread i'll probably go check out that new Iceage release to see what you all wont shut the fuck up about lol.

Also inb4 Peebles.

GO KILL YOURSELF FAGGOT, POSTING THIS HORSE SHIT IN MY MUSIC THREAD!
nah but to be honest i like what you've posted, not my favorites of the year but pretty good.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby Lucas » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:08 pm

Even though its a mixtape and not an album but...
Spoiler:
LucasOffline
Active
Active

Postby Mitch » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Stripes wrote:GO KILL YOURSELF FAGGOT, POSTING THIS HORSE SHIT IN MY MUSIC THREAD!
nah but to be honest i like what you've posted, not my favorites of the year but pretty good.[/spoiler]

Yeah honestly they are all a stretch but I really wanted to post. I would have posted the unnatural world as well but i forgot about it.
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Gage » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:05 pm

It's All Fucked Innit by Captain Kirklees
Loving the Bassline scene so much right now

Deliverance by Culprate
Got to get a copy of the Vinyl and digital download along with some other cool stuff B]

Sylph EP by DIVERSA
Kelvin is the best <33

SICK DUBSTEP DROPS 2012 by 40Ringz
My boy 40ringz knows how to play

Everyday by Derrick Boo
<333
GageOffline
VIP

Postby The Black Mamba » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Pretty much all Shad's choices. I'm not as heavily into music anymore, so I can't bother coming up with my own picks.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby jota » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:37 pm

In no order

NehruvianDOOM
Ben Howard - I Forget Were We Were
alt-J - This Is All Yours
Twin Peaks - Wild Onion
Alcool Club - Club 120º
The Black Keys - Turn Blue
Hawk House - A Handshake to the Brain
James Vincent McMorrow - Post Tropical
Vance Joy - Dream Your Life Away
and even tough I doubt it I still have a small hope that Kanye West 7th album will come out this year since it was supposed to be released in 2014. I just know I'm gonna love it so

Yeah I guess it is pretty mainstream but I still loved them all

And a bonus: Worst albums of the year:
Coldplay - Ghost Stories
Maroon 5 - V

"nigeru faggimus"

jotaOffline
Regular
Regular

Postby Peebles » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:41 pm

fuckjota wrote:In no order

NehruvianDOOM
Ben Howard - I Forget Were We Were
alt-J - This Is All Yours
Twin Peaks - Wild Onion
Alcool Club - Club 120º
The Black Keys - Turn Blue
Hawk House - A Handshake to the Brain
James Vincent McMorrow - Post Tropical
Vance Joy - Dream Your Life Away
and even tough I doubt it I still have a small hope that Kanye West 7th album will come out this year since it was supposed to be released in 2014. I just know I'm gonna love it so

Yeah I guess it is pretty mainstream but I still loved them all

And a bonus: Worst albums of the year:
Coldplay - Ghost Stories
Maroon 5 - V

Surprised to see NehruvianDOOM on here. interesting choice. Also the Alt-J went totally under the radar coming off their award winning debut. I enjoyed it. Hawk House had something this year? Their mixtape from last year came out of the blue and I thought the lyrics/vocals were straight forward and liked it quite a bit. I should consider getting on that. and the James Vincent McMorrow was a laid back listen, liked that too.
2008-2015, 2019-
PeeblesOffline
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c
a-l-e-a-t-o-r-i-c

Next

Return to Media