Alca's Music - Original Cinematic Composition - Isolation

Post your media interests here.

Re: Alca's Music - Sky Palace

Postby Alca » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Update.

phpBB [video]

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Gage » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:42 pm

I really like this one a lot, great job
GageOffline
VIP

Postby Gifgiff » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Goodness, all this in a little more than half a year of playing! They're beautiful. I've been dabbling with the piano on and off for most of my life, and you're really inspiring me to go at it stronger.

This kind of question is usually hard to answer, but I'm always curious... What do you think about when you set out to compose/improvise something? Anything in particular, or do you sit down with a general idea in your head and just let your hands do their thing?
GifgiffOffline
Active
Active

Postby Alca » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Gifgiff wrote:Goodness, all this in a little more than half a year of playing! They're beautiful. I've been dabbling with the piano on and off for most of my life, and you're really inspiring me to go at it stronger.

This kind of question is usually hard to answer, but I'm always curious... What do you think about when you set out to compose/improvise something? Anything in particular, or do you sit down with a general idea in your head and just let your hands do their thing?

Thanks for listening, I appreciate it.

As for your question, it completely varies. Sometimes it's just a case of sitting down and improvising, and along the way I sometimes find an interesting melody. In those cases there isn't really any planning or anything beforehand, I just play around until I get something that fits together.

Now and then I do plan it out though. Sometimes I think out most of the piece in my head first, then it's just a case of putting it down onto the piano. I also find that it helps to think of some sort of theme. For example I might look through some pictures or artwork and try to write a song based on how it makes me feel, if that makes sense. Or I'll write out the title first and write the song around it. This was pretty much the case with Sky Palace. I thought of the name first, then I tried to associate the piece with it while I was thinking up the melody. Not sure if that helps any, but that's pretty much my process for composing.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Re: Alca's Music - Original Orchestral Composition - Daydrea

Postby Alca » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:09 am

Update. I don't make orchestral compositions too often, mainly because I still need a bit of practice, but I felt inspired to make this so I thought I'd share it. Thanks for listening.

phpBB [video]

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Postby Lord » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:10 am

Really nice piece Alca. :D
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Postby Gifgiff » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:36 am

Nice, I like it! Really fits the picture. It's too bad the instruments have that too-perfect computer-generated vibe to them, but all the things I've tried to compose with a computer end up that way too.

Alca wrote:Sometimes I think out most of the piece in my head first, then it's just a case of putting it down onto the piano.

Hah, that's an interesting way of putting it! Thanks for the thorough answer. For the most part, the first method you mentioned -- loosely sitting down and improvising -- is inevitably what I end up doing no matter what my intentions were to begin with. I've actually never tried to plan something out in my head first, then translate it into piano. I'm not entirely sure what it means to do that, but I'll give it a try!
GifgiffOffline
Active
Active

Postby Alca » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:52 pm

LordPivot wrote:Really nice piece Alca. :D

Thanks

Gifgiff wrote:Nice, I like it! Really fits the picture. It's too bad the instruments have that too-perfect computer-generated vibe to them, but all the things I've tried to compose with a computer end up that way too.

Alca wrote:Sometimes I think out most of the piece in my head first, then it's just a case of putting it down onto the piano.

Hah, that's an interesting way of putting it! Thanks for the thorough answer. For the most part, the first method you mentioned -- loosely sitting down and improvising -- is inevitably what I end up doing no matter what my intentions were to begin with. I've actually never tried to plan something out in my head first, then translate it into piano. I'm not entirely sure what it means to do that, but I'll give it a try!

Most of the time I do just come up with it on the spot, I find it more fun that way. I find it usually adds a bit more structure if you plan it in your head first but I guess it's preference.

Also update, came up with another improvisation. In the middle section I decided to play a little bit of Chopin's Nocturne op.9 no.1 which happens to be one of my favourite pieces. Thanks for listening.

phpBB [video]

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: Alca's Music - Solo Guitar Composition - In a Dream

Postby Alca » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:00 am

Update. Apart from a few orchestral pieces I've only really composed for the piano so far, so I thought I'd do something different and have a go at arranging a solo guitar composition. Thanks for listening.

phpBB [video]

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: Alca's Music - Cello/Piano Duet - Familiar Warmth

Postby Alca » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:05 am

Been a while since I've updated this, so here's another little piece. Decided to have a go at composing a little something for cello and piano.

phpBB [video]

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Postby Jack » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:06 pm

These are nice, Alca. I really liked Familiar Warmth and In a Dream.
It'd be cool to hear something more intense, with a bit of a powerful, "valiant" feel to it.
JackOffline
リラックス
リラックス

Postby Alca » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Jack wrote:These are nice, Alca. I really liked Familiar Warmth and In a Dream.
It'd be cool to hear something more intense, with a bit of a powerful, "valiant" feel to it.

Thanks. I wouldn't call this intense exactly but I had a go at coming with a little cinematic style of composition. I really have no experience in the genre though so I have no idea how it turned out.

phpBB [video]

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Previous

Return to Media