Music...

Post your media interests here.

Music...

Postby Lord » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:04 pm

(First off I'd just like to say to not get offended/annoyed/whatever for some reason by this thread, I've the feeling that I'm getting across my message the wrong way and would just like be clear on that)

Okay
so, I don't listen to a lot of music, my friends and semi-friends are pretty much horrified by this (cheesygrin
Most of the people I know are always listening to the latest songs about, by all the popular artists at the moment. e.g. Ed Sheeran, Imagine Dragons (don't even know who Imagine Dragons are) and yada yada so on and so forth.

There's this one guy I know who seems to be always enjoying other music, the stuff from the 80's, that I seem to like too. Though I prefer the happier songs than the sad ones. I just think,
why listen to sad music?

Another thing I've wondered is, what do people get from music? Is it just the rhythm they like? The instruments? Or maybe its deeper meaning, forgive me here if I'm just being stupid over all of this, I'm just speaking me' mind.
What do you get from music?

So, I suppose the other question here is,
what are your favourite songs?
After hearing 2 of these in an advertisement for a radio station and the other in Guardians of the Galaxy, I kind of latched on to them.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Ma' thread
"Some people get so caught up in perfecting their movements and effects, that they forget what an animation is meant to do, entertain people." - LordPivot
LordOffline
The Man
The Man

Re: Music...

Postby Alca » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:26 pm

why listen to sad music?

Sad music can be beautiful too. It might sound paradoxical, but it is perfectly possible to enjoy sad or melancholy pieces. Some people might be able to relate to it too. I actually find sad pieces really relaxing.

What do you get from music?

Difficult question. I really like music that conjures up certain emotions. I listen to a lot of classical music, and there are a lot of emotive pieces out there. There's a lot of factors really. I just find it really enjoyable. I also think a bit about theory. Bach for example was a master at counterpoint and I find his music fascinating. Debussy's use of atonality is also pretty interesting. I don't tend to listen to modern music a great deal because it feels pretty dumbed down in comparison, but that's just me.

what are your favourite songs?

Well I don't really listen to songs much. I mainly listen to classical music. If I had to pick my favourite pieces it would be these two:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

A lot of people tend to get put off by classical music, but you really have to sit back and appreciate them. Chopin manages to weave so many emotions into the piano, and those are without a doubt some of the most powerful pieces I've listened to.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby Stickid » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:45 pm

i just like my booty jams
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby Grams » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Alca pretty much covered the why for me. As for the what, it's tough to say. I like to see the insight artists have to offer, and the beauty of their compositions. I enjoy creative and clever lyrics, but still appreciate classical pieces. I suppose I get comfort out of it. What emotions that comfort is mediated through varies.

I couldn't really ever definitively choose two, but as of right now I guess these would be it.

phpBB [video]

I absolutely adore the instrumentals and vocal expression. Needless to say (imo) the diction and imagery is beautiful as well. They have pieces written better than this lyrically and others composed better than this, but this seems to have a perfect balance. idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

phpBB [video]

lotr sue me
Steam || Thread || MAL
▁ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂ ▁
GramsOffline
L'appel du vide
L'appel du vide

Postby Alca » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:26 pm

LOTR had a pretty great soundtrack. Howard Shore did a great job. I really like listening to film soundtracks too.

Just to add onto my last post, there are a few modern composers I enjoy listening to. John Williams did a great job with the Harry Potter movies and Star Wars. Also Hans Zimmer is pretty good. This is one of my favourite pieces:

phpBB [video]

Also Time. Despite only using 4-5 chords it's a surprisingly powerful piece. Doesn't have to be overly complex to be enjoyable to listen to.

phpBB [video]

I try to listen to as many genres as possible because there's gems everywhere, but I generally find myself favoring instrumental/orchestrated pieces.

"Whenever people see birds flying through the sky, it's said that they get the urge to go on a journey.".

MAL / Steam / Youtube /
Bandcamp
AlcaOffline
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Location: Six hundred and sixty light-years away - gliding among the clouds of interstellar star stuff.

Postby MCToast » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
MCToastOffline
VIP
VIP

Postby Stickid » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:05 pm

just for the record, mctoast is probably my favorite musician on the forum, love his shit
StickidOffline
whodunnit
Retired

Postby socks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:49 pm

I love music, all i'm sayin'.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby tenks » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:00 am

phpBB [video]