Hip-Hop/ Rap Discussion Thread

Post your media interests here.

Re: Hip-Hop/ Rap Discussion Thread

Postby socks » Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 pm

I mean, hip hop and rap are not my favorite, but Aesop Rock is not too bad with some songs, and Nujabes has some rappers on some songs. I mainly listen to instrumentalists, they some times have various artists apply vocals though. If that counts.
socksOffline
2005 - 2015
Retired

Postby Cowboy Memebop » Thu May 08, 2014 12:17 am

yeah that definitely counts
Cowboy MemebopOffline
Professional
Professional

Postby The Black Mamba » Thu May 08, 2014 12:35 am

Love Nujabes.
The Black MambaOffline
HONEY!!!!!!!!
HONEY!!!!!!!!

Postby Shad Shadson » Thu May 08, 2014 5:52 am

Stripes wrote:I mean, hip hop and rap are not my favorite, but Aesop Rock is not too bad with some songs, and Nujabes has some rappers on some songs. I mainly listen to instrumentalists, they some times have various artists apply vocals though. If that counts.

Instrumentalists definitely count! Both of Nuja's albums (Metaphorical Music and Modal Soul) are on the modern essentials list for good reason. I think anyone who hasn't at least given Nujabes a listen is doing themselves a disservice, honestly. As for Dilla, who is in a similar vein to Nujabes, I still give the entirety of Donuts a listen from time to time, and The Shining isn't shabby either.

Nuja and Dilla are imo some of the best hip hop producers out there. Shame what happened to both of them, honestly. The duo of Shing02 and Nujabes might never happen again really, and those two meshed together SO well; I don't think I've seen a producer/rapper duo mesh quite so well honestly.
The sleeper has awakened.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Kap'n Krunch » Thu May 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Shad Shadson wrote:Nuja and Dilla are imo some of the best hip hop producers out there. Shame what happened to both of them, honestly. The duo of Shing02 and Nujabes might never happen again really, and those two meshed together SO well; I don't think I've seen a producer/rapper duo mesh quite so well honestly.

Its a great combo no doubt, but it doesn't trump madlibxDOOM or even EL-P and Killer Mike. My opinion of course.
Kap'n KrunchOffline
I didn't pay4 shit
I didn't pay4 shit

Postby Shad Shadson » Thu May 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Kap'n Krunch wrote:
Shad Shadson wrote:Nuja and Dilla are imo some of the best hip hop producers out there. Shame what happened to both of them, honestly. The duo of Shing02 and Nujabes might never happen again really, and those two meshed together SO well; I don't think I've seen a producer/rapper duo mesh quite so well honestly.

Its a great combo no doubt, but it doesn't trump madlibxDOOM or even EL-P and Killer Mike. My opinion of course.

I'd agree with LibxDOOM if they had more then Madvilliany and odds + ends under them, but they really don't. The quality of that stuff is pretty good though. LibxAnyone is pretty good though; I mean look at LibxGibbs. I don't even like Freddie Gibbs and I thought Pinata was some hot shit. I don't really listen to Killer Mike so I can't say anything about EL-PxKiller Mike.

I definitely think LibxDOOM generally sounds better, but while I know Shing has worked with other people, It's hard for me to see Shing rap over a beat other then Nujabes', or at least a beat that sounds like a Nujabes type of beat. In my opinion, Shing's rhyme scheme generally sounds kind of... clumsy/awkward, but it fits with the beats Nujabes gave him. I feel like DOOM could work with anyone and do well because he's DOOM.
Only to sleep again.
ʇɥɐʇ ıs uoʇ pǝɐp ʍɥıɔɥ ɔɐu ǝʇǝɹuɐן ןıǝ' ɐup ʍıʇɥ sʇɹɐuƃǝ ɐǝous ǝʌǝu pǝɐʇɥ ɯɐʎ pıǝ
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Kap'n Krunch » Sat May 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Shad Shadson wrote: LibxAnyone is pretty good though; I mean look at LibxGibbs. I don't even like Freddie Gibbs and I thought Pinata was some hot shit.

I feel like DOOM could work with anyone and do well because he's DOOM.

This is why its such a great combination, their both masters at what they do.

Pinata was some hot shit, but that wasn't exclusively because of Madlib, Gibbs pulled his own on that project especially since he's able to work on shit more out of his usual radius since he left CTE
Kap'n KrunchOffline
I didn't pay4 shit
I didn't pay4 shit

Postby tenks » Tue May 13, 2014 7:54 am

I'm too scared to post Yung Lean here.

But I enjoy the heck out of cloud rap.
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

Postby Mitch » Tue May 13, 2014 8:01 am

tenks wrote:I'm too scared to post Yung Lean here.

Wel I mean you kinda just did because niggas r just gona look him up on youtube now because you said it but w/e no hate man keep doin u, love ur new shit too
**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby tenks » Tue May 13, 2014 8:13 am

I refuse to believe that anyone will actually look up shit if it's not spoonfed or in plain sight.
スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ my VAGOO feels VAGOOD tenk HEH - MIcht 2015 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
tenksOffline
花

Postby Mitch » Tue May 13, 2014 8:40 am

**** funno ***************************************************************************
MitchOffline
` `
`    `

Postby Shad Shadson » Wed May 14, 2014 2:03 am

http://pitchfork.com/advance/436-and-th ... ur-cousin/

The album was leaked.

...I've never been more disappointed in my life, and it really hurts to say that. I don't even think it's that bad, but going from this after Undun I feel absolutely underwhelmed. I know it's a concept album, but I was hoping for more Black Thought. I still think "When the People Cheer" is REALLY good, and I'm kinda liking "Never" and "Theme from the Middle of the Night", as well as "Black Rock". Otherwise, a lot of these songs just don't jive with me, and two of them aren't even songs really. It's really fucking short too.. like even shorter then Undun, which was already pretty short. I dunno, maybe I need to listen to it more, as it sounds very different to any other albums and definitely any other Roots album I've heard.

Right now it's definitely on the lesser regarded side of my Roots album collection, that's for sure.
Only to sleep again.
Shad ShadsonOffline
2006-2015
2006-2015

Postby Ward » Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Me on the 1st page wrote:Oh, remember that Dutch rapper, Mr. Probz, I kept promoting a while back in these threads?
Probably not, but like I predicted he's really moving up. He made it to 50 Cent's new album. Can't wait to hear that track.

phpBB [video]

He produced the track, made the chorus and he's the second voice on the chorus as well. So proud of this guy. :>
WardOffline
Retired

Postby Kap'n Krunch » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Ward wrote:
Me on the 1st page wrote:Oh, remember that Dutch rapper, Mr. Probz, I kept promoting a while back in these threads?
Probably not, but like I predicted he's really moving up. He made it to 50 Cent's new album. Can't wait to hear that track.

phpBB [video]

He produced the track, made the chorus and he's the second voice on the chorus as well. So proud of this guy. :>

I kno this is a bump but w/e

Honestly it was cool that he put reasonably no name producers on his album but damn... This shit was horrible, not even specifically this track although it was bad, every single track on this album was fucking awful, "Smoke" and "Winners Circle" were the worst songs I've heard in a long time. Probably some of the corniest hooks he's put on his songs yet (Animal Ambition, oh god..). He laid a couple decent verses but it wasn't enough and honestly, it made it worse that he made a video for EVERY single song. They were all bad videos too, every feature fucked up with the exception of Jadakiss and Yo Gotti who were alright... 50 can still flow on a track well and the production was decent enough but everything in between was terrible (thumbsdown
Kap'n KrunchOffline
I didn't pay4 shit
I didn't pay4 shit

Postby Axon » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:26 pm

didn't expect to like Yung Lean but I think I do, some of the lyrics make me laugh when they don't make sense but I'm not paying massive attention to the lyrics/can't make out what he's saying sometimes, makes me a bit sad seeing someone younger than me being good @ things though

~bitches on my dick cos im so luxurious~
AxonOffline
aye lmoa
aye lmoa

PreviousNext

Return to Media